NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Mameda Bakeru (Totally not Goemon)

Announced exclusively in the Japanese Nintendo Direct...

Mameda Bakeru.  A brand new game developed and self-published by Good Feel, the developers behind the original Goemon series while at Konami, a game that is totally not a brand new Goemon game!

I'm praying for an English localisation for you @RedShell

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Even if it doesn't come out in the west, I'm certainly looking forward to listening to this soundtrack until the end of time :bouncy:

• Like 2

EYVc9mD.gif

Nice surprise! :) Shame it was only in the Japanese Direct, but it's still great to see that the project hasn't been cancelled.
Wonder if there's any chance this might also release on Steam/Epic, similar to how Monkey Barrels was initially revealed and released on Switch but then later arrived on PC.

I don't reckon it's very likely to make it out of Japan though which is unfortunate, but there's always the option of getting it from their eShop I suppose. ::shrug: Although I've not imported/played a Japanese exclusive title for a long time... think the last one was actually Captain Rainbow on Wii! :o

Anyway, here's hoping this game does well. It might convince Konami to offer Good Feel use of the Goemon IP for a remake, or better yet, an original (official :heh:) Mystical Ninja game!  :hehe:

18 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Even if it doesn't come out in the west, I'm certainly looking forward to listening to this soundtrack until the end of time :bouncy:

Yep, same. :yay:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Captain Rainbow on Wii

Did I buy you that when I was in Japan in 2009 or was that for someone else? 

21 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Did I buy you that when I was in Japan in 2009 or was that for someone else? 

Think that was someone else, as I'm pretty sure I got it online from PlayAsia.
Man, that's a blast from the past! Are they still going?...

*has a look*...

They are. :hehe:

10 hours ago, RedShell said:

Think that was someone else, as I'm pretty sure I got it online from PlayAsia.
Man, that's a blast from the past! Are they still going?...

*has a look*...

They are. :hehe:

Considering that almost every game now gets an English localisation (with Japanese exclusives more or less relegated to the occasional physical release that doesn’t come out elsewhere), I’m surprised that they’re still trucking along!

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Considering that almost every game now gets an English localisation (with Japanese exclusives more or less relegated to the occasional physical release that doesn’t come out elsewhere), I’m surprised that they’re still trucking along!

I think they must be selling a lot of this... stuff: :heh:

Spoiler

skD6mxb.jpg

• Weird 1

If it comes out over here and they're not going to bring Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the Switch Online... I supposed I'll take it!

This looks (and sounds :cool:) absolutely glorious! :bouncy:

I really hope they also plan to release it outside of Japan.

• Thanks 1

Controls are L/R, L+R to attack. Hold to charge. It has this sort of automatic lock-on where you'll go for the next nearest enemy when surrounded. You can also, block, dodge and jump. Standard. The only thing I reckon it could do with is a run button, although you can buy a speedup item for 100 coins. There are transformations—the first allows you to become small to access "mouse hole" sort of areas. Transformations use up energy which you get from felling enemies and general exploration.

Levels have optional collectibles (5 unchinku facts, 3 souvenir doodads) and three evil disco lantern things you must destroy to unlock the big festival drum exit. 

You pick up coins, too, which can be used to buy items (you can carry three at a time) and you'll lose some if/when you die. 3,000 for extra health. I died twice from falling off levels into the abyss. First from getting to a spot I couldn't find a way back from, second from dropping off the top of a building to see if I could land on a lower ledge. Auto-revive item took care of a third when the spinny enemies got on top of me.

It's not all action platforming; an early level is a car race. Provided the first four levels—the extent of the demo—is a decent barometer, this is reminiscent of Kirby and The Forgotten Land. 

• Thanks 1

From the impressions i've read from people who imported it, it's a good game but it has massive performance issues. Apparently the frame rate is all over the place.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Apparently the frame rate is all over the place.

Noticed some slight weirdness panning the camera while moving at one or two points but nothing excessive. Could be more prominent later if levels become more demanding. But what do I know—I still generally take slowdown as the console being ambitiously pushed to its limits. Or in the case of something like Bangai-O Spirits, a welcome feature.

• Haha 1

Wasn't aware there was a demo up for this, will check it out later. :)

Sign in to follow this