NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

10 Years Later: How 'The Year of Luigi' changed gaming

Year_of_Luigi_Logo_w_Sprite.png

Last month was 10 years since Nintendo proclaimed 2013 as "the year of Luigi" and obviously gaming was never the same ever since. 

Okay maybe it was, but it was a fun silly little marketing thing so why not remember it eh? 

Who?

Oh, right! Green Mario! He's the star of the second best NSMB game!

I quite enjoyed this PR stunt. A lot of fun.

Edited by Glen-i

Good times, I loved the extra attention he got that year! Can anyone confirm if the hidden Luigi sprites are also in 3D World on Switch? Or was it just for the Wii U in honour of the year? 

It's also hilariously on-brand for Luigi that 2013 was the worst year for Nintendo. 

Despite all of its best efforts, Nintendo reported a record loss of 46.4 billion Yen, which roughly calculates to around $456 million. This record loss for the company was a continuation of a downward trend. After earning a massive net profit year after year, especially since the launch of the Wii, 2011 saw the company's first annual loss in three decades.

2012 saw this trend continue, with the Wii U failing to meet expectations, and thus causing the company's second annual loss in a row. 

source

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Josh64 said:

Good times, I loved the extra attention he got that year! Can anyone confirm if the hidden Luigi sprites are also in 3D World on Switch? Or was it just for the Wii U in honour of the year? 

They are indeed still there, as is the Luigi Bros NES ROM hack :)

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this