NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

The Official 2023 Events Thread—Of E3 Hesitancy and Other Things

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Shenmue 4 is getting announced tonight

Will everyone get excited again and then forget about it when it releases? :p

I do wonder what Sega are going to show. Lots of rumours flying around about various Sega IPs making a return, with Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio being the main two 

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's looking very likely that the next Monster Hunter game will be shown during the awards show.

Would be insane if they've somehow managed to keep this pretty much under wraps – it's been a while since I've read up on what was supposedly going on, but wasn't the rumour was that it was the other huuuuuuuuuge AAA Capcom game rumoured to be announced this year and release by the end of Q1? Y'know, the same quarter as Dragon's Dogma? 

Not sure if that's changed to just be announced by the end of Q1 - there's no way it gets announced tonight and released so quickly, surely? - but it'd be insane if Dragon's Dogma just got buried by MH. 

Then again, this follows Capcom seemingly being on fire for 5 years or so, we've seen Japanese companies make weirder decisions out of nowhere before...

Regardless: totally in for the next, World-esque Monster Hunter. Checked out World a few years ago with some friends and despite a great session we just never got back to it (trust me - I tried!), so I think I'll commit to going solo this time around :D

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Julius I expect a topic created and a trailer ready for when I get up for work in the morning!

tumblr_p79vnrAZuq1vd602xo1_500.gif

We'll see what happens, I've caught a bug which means I'll probably fall asleep early tonight and then wake up at stupid o'clock as a result, so I might be up for the end of it :laughing:

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Shenmue 4 is getting announced tonight

The Audible-exclusive Shenmue 4? 

cry-laugh.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Will everyone get excited again and then forget about it when it releases? :p

I do wonder what Sega are going to show. Lots of rumours flying around about various Sega IPs making a return, with Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio being the main two 

I could see Jet Set coming back with Bomb Rush Cyberfunk being popular and Sega thinking they could capitalise on that.

We may also see PSO 3 exclusive to Vita.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

We may also see PSO 3 exclusive to Vita.

Don't give me hope.

Screw it, I might be falling asleep at a random time tonight, but for now I have a bit of energy and time to kill, so I'm going to briefly talk about the five (/six?/seven??) things I want most out of tonight's Game Awards; in a rough order of what I think is most to least likely (the last two being tied), from top to bottom:

more details on Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree – announced nearly 10 months ago now, which was over 12 months after Elden Ring's release (now putting us at close to 22 months since Elden Ring launched!), surely it's a safe bet that this shows up here with a trailer at least, and maybe a release date to boot? Keighley has a history of showing From stuff off at his shows - the Shadows Die Twice teaser at TGAs, the Elden Ring release date trailer at SGF 2021, and Armored Core VI's announcement at TGAs 2022 - and it's DLC for a game that won GOTY at the TGAs last year, so...maybe?

a substantial announcement from PlayStation Studios – as things stand, only two SIE published games have release dates going into 2024, let alone windows: The Last of Us Part II Remastered and Helldivers II. Beyond those two games, there is currently only one other first party PlayStation Studios game that we know is in the works, and that's Insomniac's Wolverine. Honestly? I think this is getting a little absurd. I think there's a good chance we see an update for Spider-Man 2 announced tonight - seeing as we're waiting on NG+, which they've said they're aiming to release by the end of the year...a year which is quickly coming to an end - but I want something more substantial: I'm talking DLC, a spin-off (I'm thinking along the lines of Lost Legacy or Miles Morales here), or a whole new announcement specifically for a first party PlayStation Studios title. It's possible that could be for Spider-Man 2, but seeing as they haven't released any DLC since Spider-Man back in 2018 and that DLC was also announced prior to release, it would seem a bit soon to do so. Something for Astro, finally? God of War DLC/spin-off? Something on whatever Bluepoint has got going on, now that we're 3+ years without seeing anything new come from them? 

a port, remaster, or remake of one of my favourites – my Top 10 Games of All-time list is more of a Top 7 & Friends than it is a Top 10, and currently, only 4 of those 7 are available to play on modern consoles. One of these (Pokémon) is almost certainly not going to turn up here, but give me a port, remaster, or remake of Chrono Trigger, Star Wars Battlefront II (2005, by Pandemic), or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. Please and thank you. 

anything on Fumito Ueda and genDESIGN's next game – okay, seriously, where the hell is it? The Last Guardian released at the end of 2016, Epic Games picked the game up for publishing in March 2020, and we saw a potential character from the game on a New Year's postcard back at the start of 2021. Another game that Epic picked up and announced in March 2020 was a game by Remedy, which we now know to be Alan Wake II, so is it time that we see one of the other two games they announced as backing back then? And that's right, there were two others, not just Ueda's game; speaking of which...

anything on Playdead's next gameahem, okay, seriously, where the hell is it? INSIDE released back in 2016, we saw concept art for it back in 2019, and Epic Games picked the game up for publishing in March 2020. Surely one of these two games turns up tonight, and it's not just Alan Wake II turning up for NG+ to be announced... right? 

I will consider it an acceptable event if we get 1 of those; a solid event if we get 2; a great event if we get 3; maybe the best show of the year if we get 4; and a genuine contender for all-time favourite show if we get all 5. And you know we ain't getting all 5 :p

This isn't to say that other things turning up won't be exciting - a new Rebirth trailer? XVI DLC? Some more on indies like Sword of the Sea? - but I want some new, big, exciting announcements out of tonight. The sad thing is that I think the TGAs are next to worthless without them. 

Edited by Julius

Neil Newbon's speech made tuning in already worth it.

Edit: And a Muse song in a video game trailer. :D:cool:

Edit: rogue-lite goodness for one of my favourite games! WHOOP WHOOP!

Edited by drahkon

4 hours ago, Julius said:

a substantial announcement from PlayStation Studios

Okay, that's one of the five, keep going... :D

• Haha 1

Everyone getting played off

jeez, guys, chill already. I know you don't want another Christopher Judge-length speech, but this is ridiculous. 

I tuned in like 15 minutes ago and that's twice already, really? 

Holy damn SEGA were right to hype people up for that

FIVE game announcements dropped in ONE trailer?! 

Welp, poor Dragon's Dogma II...yeah, I'll take the Ronin game, please and thank you :p

And just like that, the number of SIE-published pieces of content (including Ragnarök DLC) in the next 3½ months has doubled. Awesome! 

Edited by Julius

Lovely to see Shuhei take to the stage, even if only to accept an award on behalf of an indie dev

guy's just vibes

I knew it was something special when he said we were getting something from the orchestra

and then legendary composer – obviously Nobuo Uematsu

But then the theme for VII Rebirth?! Live? FHAIFNENSINDNDIXNSJXJNRKSKS

Shades of A Place to Call Home. Damn. I'm not crying, I swear. 

Also, forgot to comment on it:

XVI winning best OST, hell yes :bowdown: my favourite soundtrack this year and it isn't remotely close

Geoff: 2017 TGAs was when we first announced this next game

Me: In The Valley Of Gods?! 

Geoff: GTFO

Me:

table-flip-flip-table.gif

The Last of Us winning Best Adaptation, I'm shocked. Not close. 

Might've dropped the ball in some key areas for me but why they did in Episode 3 and throughout most of the series was brilliant, even if I still think the game was stronger ::shrug:

Damn, Sean dude and Hello Games, chill out with the promises! I'm in though :p

Zelda winning action/adventure and Aonuma going up to give a speech...yep, sounds like a BG3 win to me.

EDIT: and then they won Best RPG and no speech. Yup, that's theirs. 

EDIT EDIT: they just won 3 on the bounce out of 5 in that rundown lmao, and Player's Voice over Zelda too. 

Edited by Julius

Coming up on GOTY, which to me makes it sound like we're getting one of Elden Ring DLC or Monster Hunter at best

childish-gambino-donald-glover.gif

And to very few people's shock, there's the TGAs GOTY

Loving the suit as ever, Swen :p

@Julius is it safe for me to watch the final Fantasy XVI DLC and God of War DLC trailers or are there spoilers in them for those who have yet finished the games?

Still catching up but man, that Sega trailer with all those games was awesome.

Thanks for posting all the stuff on here, Julius. Much appreciated. :bowdown: :heart:

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Julius is it safe for me to watch the final Fantasy XVI DLC and God of War DLC trailers or are there spoilers in them for those who have yet finished the games?

XVI – based on the trailer footage, I think I'd say it's probably not, as it spoils some party members and later moments in the game. 

Ragnarök DLC – spoils some things in the game and the PS Blog sets it up as being an epilogue to the main game, so skip this one too. 

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Still catching up but man, that Sega trailer with all those games was awesome.

For a second I thought it was a console reveal with how they weren't cutting away from the people on the couch, but then it was all

BIM-BAM-BEM-BOM-BUM

willj-oprah.gif

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Thanks for posting all the stuff on here, Julius. Much appreciated. :bowdown: :heart:

lean-back-thumbs-up.gif

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this