NEurope
Tim B

Aladdin & The Lion King - October 2019

Well that’s a nice surprise! Guess that also explains Aladdin’s absence on the Mega Drive Mini as well.

I’m only interested in the original SNES Aladdin though; don’t want a remake, don’t want the Virgin/Shiny Aladdin game and I don’t want The Lion King.  So this package will no doubt be too expensive to justify the cost JUST for SNES Aladdin...

Hopefully this means that Capcom’s Goof Troop will also see a re-release soon... Have always wanted to play that one! :D 

Out of nowhere! Cool! I haven't really played either game at all but remember playing The Lion's King at a classmate's when I was young. I remember the second level really well. :D I hope they have made the games a bit more accesible and modern and then just include the originals in a Classic Mode or something. That way, I might actually pick them up at one point.

I love all 3 of these games and can't wait to revisit them. To this day I can't decided which Aladdin was the best version. :D 

4 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I hope they have made the games a bit more accesible and modern and then just include the originals in a Classic Mode or something. 

Save states will certainly be a welcome feature for The Lion King. But I suppose that would also make the game stupidly easy and short. 

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I love all 3 of these games and can't wait to revisit them. To this day I can't decided which Aladdin was the best version. :D 

Save states will certainly be a welcome feature for The Lion King. But I suppose that would also make the game stupidly easy and short. 

Well, Ducktales Remastered had some sort of save states but was neither easy nor especially short (compared to the source). It's kind of the premise for these remakes of (very) old games.

10 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Well, Ducktales Remastered had some sort of save states but was neither easy nor especially short (compared to the source). It's kind of the premise for these remakes of (very) old games.

I thought the remaster was much easier than the original game, not that the original was too hard when compared to other NES games. I don't remember the main story being that much longer either, especially when you factor in the cutscenes. Getting 100% completion was another matter though and that really raised the game time.

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I thought the remaster was much easier than the original game, not that the original was too hard when compared to other NES games. I don't remember the main story being that much longer either, especially when you factor in the cutscenes. Getting 100% completion was another matter though and that really raised the game time.

I found Ducktales Remastered rather frustrating because I had to do the same parts over if I died enough times. After a few tries, I just quit the game and never got back into it.

• Sad 1

The new re-release, a package including both games titled Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King, will launch this fall on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC and features upgraded HD graphics, instant save states and a rewind button that allows players to back up to 15 seconds of gameplay and a new, previously unreleased "final cut" of Aladdin as well as a "trade show demo" of the title not made public since 1993.
The collection will feature versions of the games from the Genesis, Game Boy and Super Game Boy releases, as well as the Super Nintendo version of The Lion King. Additionally, the Disney Classic Games collection features behind-the-scenes interviews and art galleries highlighting the original development of the games.
The timing for the release is apt, given that remakes of both Aladdin andThe Lion King have been released by Disney this year, both of which earned more than $1 billion at the box office.

Sounds like a fantastic set of extras and features. Brilliant stuff!

EDIT: Wait, the wording seems to indicate that the SNES Aladdin won't be part of this bundle. Shame if that is indeed the case.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

SNES Aladdin was made by Capcom and this is apparently only the ones developed by Virgin.

Screens have been released and it seems to be just an upscaling in resolution and no new graphics. Shame.

I knew it was too good to be true. There was no way that Capcom would allow Disney to release their game alongside the Virgin games; they’d want to do their own collection.  Like what they did with the Disney Afternoon Collection.

Whelp.  There goes my interest in this release.

Was hoping this would be a brand new crossover game in which you play as both Abu and Rafiki, trying to help Aladdin and Simba respectively gain their thrones, but it's open world and actions in one part of the map affect the other.

Dunno what this shit is.

• Haha 3

I played and completed this a couple of days ago.

EIeS7gCXYAA0zet.jpg

Aladdin has aged far better than the Lion King. It was a lot more fun to play. Some of the jumps and hit detection on the Lion King are stupidly broken and it took a while to get used to where you have to hit and how you have to jump. Luckily the rewind feature came in very handy for many of the cock ups that I made. :p Aladdin seems to have had the most care and attention put into it in this collection. The playable demo is certainly a nice feature, as is the ability to sit and watch the game and then jump in at any point.

As expected, when you have the ability to rewind these types of games they become very short experiences. The length of the games didn't bother me as I knew what I was in for and I just wanted to play through the both of them again for old times sake. It's nice that they are now available on modern consoles so you don't have to faff on setting up a Mega Drive anymore just to play them.