Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Elden Ring (21st January 2022)

7 hours ago, Julius said:

Genuine question having only played Demon's Souls: do any of the other From games have a map? Because this game being open world, it would pretty much have to have a map, right? Which is really weird to think about. 

Of course I can only speak to Demon's Souls, but I know what you mean about the light narrative direction, it's really clear just how much Ueda's works inspired Miyazaki. I'm imagining a largely Shadow of the Colossus-like open world which is virtually empty, save for skirmishes as you get closer to settlements, which would be more intricately designed in line with From's other games. I guess I'm kind of also imagining Hyrule Field from Ocarina of Time? Secrets in the open world of course (hidden dungeons, stuff behind waterfalls, caves, etc.), would be really interesting if there were a Nemesis-like system between settlements, and a massive, SotC-like boss in the open world would be cool too. 

Haven't played Sekiro, but no maps in any of their games otherwise.

Good digging Julius. I'd be gutted with a delay, but I'd rather they took their time and got it right. And this will be tough for them. Not so much putting everything in everything that needs to go into an open world - they'll give us a big map and plenty of quests no problem - but maintaining that incredible atmosphere and gameplay/difficulty balance will require a lot of tuning. 

So yeah, take your time Miyazaki.

• Like 1

Ahem. 

Spoiler

Omnipotent on ResetEra posted this:

Keighley_Has_It.gif

So I guess it's happening. Think Summer Game Fest always seemed the most likely for the game to make a return.

Hype Mode: Engaged. 

Also, having lived through the scene in the GIF twice in the last month, I have to ask...what the hell has Geoff had to sacrifice?! 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Awesome, but assuming this gets a PS5 case, I'm absolutely just going to go based on which case looks better :p love that deep teal colour, and the way the top of the symbol kind of forms an eclipse!

Also, I know Berserk has obviously influenced Miyazaki a lot, but there are several things about this that are just straight up giving off that Berserk influence: the framing of the case and that eclipse, that wolf dude and the Berserker armour, the tree...hell yeah. 

This damn trailer puts me in a weird spot. I'm really looking forward to checking out Rift Apart tomorrow, but now I really want to play Dark Souls! :(

1 minute ago, Julius said:

This damn trailer puts me in a weird spot. I'm really looking forward to checking out Rift Apart tomorrow, but now I really want to play Dark Souls! :(

Skip Dark Souls and play Sekiro instead. :p 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Skip Dark Souls and play Sekiro instead. :p 

I'll get to it...at some point :p after finishing Demon's Souls at the end of last year I went and bought every modern From Software game except for Sekiro, so thankfully I'm forced to make a decision where I don't play it next just by not having it on my shelf! Also kind of want to see how systems evolved as the series went on, especially because I started with Demon's Souls (even if it was the Bluepoint remake). 

I was originally planning on trying to get through the other Souls games before this released (assuming the appetite for them stayed), kind of assuming it was March 2022 or later, but think it might be a bit of a squeeze to get them all in before January; I won't rush, guess we'll see what happens. I've definitely been feeling the craving to play one coming on the last month or two though, so I imagine I'll be digging into Dark Souls sooner rather than later. 

Also just been rewatching the trailer and the stone golem thing with a bell is giving me major Shadow of the Colossus vibes - it's pretty much exactly what I wanted, assuming we can fight it (and if so kind of wanted the Divine Beasts to be in Breath of the Wild). Cannot wait to see more! 

5 minutes ago, Cube said:

Why do they use the term "gameplay trailer" when they don't show actual gameplay?

If it's in-engine showing footage of the game being played, just from camera angles you probably won't get in the game for the sake of being a trailer, then I'd consider it a gameplay trailer? Just not technically raw gameplay footage with a HUD and so on? 

• Like 2

So firstly yay, that’s not too long away, and yay I don’t have to buy a PS5 for it, cause otherwise that console ain’t justifying a purchase just yet.

Got to say initially I was a little gutted that it’s just ‘Dark Souls Online’, and that they haven’t gone in a new direction with it like they did Blood and Sekiro. Not just the narrative but the combat seems very much in line with Dark Souls.

But there’s probably so much we’re not seeing there - how the RPG systems will work, how co-op and counter-op will work, what crazy world systems we’ll never understand. And then the world and characters, which will no doubt be rich and numerous. 

So yeah, can’t wait, expect me to start bugging you all about making a guild soon. 

Edited by LazyBoy

All the stuff from the official site:

The Golden Order has been broken.

Rise, Tarnished, and be guided by grace to brandish the power of the Elden Ring and become an Elden Lord in the Lands Between.

In the Lands Between ruled by Queen Marika the Eternal, the Elden Ring, the source of the Erdtree, has been shattered.

Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring.

And become the Elden Lord.

Key Features

A New Fantasy World

Journey through the Lands Between, a new fantasy world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki, creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series, and George R. R. Martin, author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire. 

Unravel the mysteries of the Elden Ring’s power. Encounter adversaries with profound backgrounds, characters with their own unique motivations for helping or hindering your progress, and fearsome creatures. 

World Exploration in the Lands Between

ELDEN RING features vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy, complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly.

Traverse the breathtaking world on foot or on horseback, alone or online with other players, and fully immerse yourself in the grassy plains, suffocating swamps, spiraling mountains, foreboding castles and other sites of grandeur on a scale never seen before in a FromSoftware title. 

Genre-defining Gameplay

Create your character in FromSoftware's refined action-RPG and define your playstyle by experimenting with a wide variety of weapons, magical abilities, and skills found throughout the world.

Charge into battle, pick off enemies one-by-one using stealth, or even call upon allies for aid. Many options are at your disposal as you decide how to approach exploration and combat. 

Also what feels like another Berserk reference...

E3jCNv0WEAYtDJN?format=jpg&name=large

Dude on the left giving me major Griffith vibes with that helmet, pretty sure we also saw someone in a similar helmet against the reindeer boss. 

1 hour ago, LazyBoy said:

Got to say initially I was a little gutted that it’s just ‘Dark Souls Online’, and that they haven’t gone in a new direction with it like they did Blood and Sekiro. Not just the narrative but the combat seems very much in line with Dark Souls.

But there’s probably so much we’re not seeing there - how the RPG systems will work, how co-op and counter-op will work, what crazy world systems we’ll never understand. And then the world and characters, which will no doubt be rich and numerous. 

Yeah, I'm really curious to see how co-op pans out in this game. The way it looked in the trailer, and what they say on the official website, specifically in the section about exploration of the open world...

Traverse the breathtaking world on foot or on horseback, alone or online with other players

...makes me think that the main (and easiest) part of online play that you can access will be in the open world, which I think makes a lot of sense given that the glimpses of the world show that there will be a variety of enemies most likely at drastically different levels of difficulty as we see in most open worlds. In the settlements/kingdoms/and so on coming off the open world is where I think it'll probably be gated behind beating a boss or calling for help for one, as I believe is the case in the other From games (they do mention that you can "call upon allies for aid" too). 

Does feel less like an "open world" and more like an "open field", which I think I prefer (as I feel it would be more focused). Major Ocarina of Time Hyrule Field and Shadow of the Colossus vibes in that open area!

I know the rest of Summer Game Fest was a bit wonky at times, but still, kudos to Geoff for landing this, you could really tell how enthused he was about it when introducing the game. Strong start to E3 with this, glad this is where the show ended, and if we get some more stuff from other games I'm really excited about that could be next year (Final Fantasy XVI, the Breath of the Wild sequel, Starfield) then I will be extremely happy, but the fact that this trailer specifically is pushing me over the edge towards playing my next From game says it all.

The choir at the end when he jumps gets me every time! 

VaatiVidya trailer breakdown is up:

Haven't watched it yet, but I saw someone suggest earlier that maybe the beams of light from the World Tree Yggdrasil Erdtree might be key points of interest or highlighting optional bosses or something, which I thought would be really cool. Would certainly harken back to following the light of your sword in Shadow of the Colossus!

E3nV1tYWQAIwY99?format=jpg&name=medium

Sign in to follow this