N-Europe

The Switch Game Club - all are welcome

LazyBoy

Hello all, and welcome to the Switch Game Group page.

Shout out to the major inspiration for this the NE Game Club over on General Gaming. Whereas that group focuses on retro games, this will focus on Switch eShop games, preferably in the GBP10 zone, and even better if we can get something on sale.

Cause who doesn't like a good deal right?

We will aim for quality first, and then variety second. That way we have the best chance of enjoying the games. I think we do one a month. That leaves plenty of time to get through the game thoroughly, and plenty of leeway if those of us with busier lives find it hard to spare the time. 1st of every month we create a shortlist of candidates, then people can vote by 'Liking' my post and using the emoticons to indicate their preferences.

There's obviously no requirement for you to get every game - if you don't like the look of one you can always take a month off.

Discuss any aspect of the game you want, let us hear your thoughts. Please be careful with spoiler tags, but lets say anything in the first third of the game is fair play.

If you are up for it let us know below, and please make a noise if you have any objections to the set up. I will follow shortly with a shortlist for you guys to vote on, and add to if you wish.

• Thanks 1

Yep, I'd be happy to be a part of this. :D

I've got loads of Switch games I've been meaning to get around to playing, plenty of digital titles that I own physically as well, so this way if one of them comes up, I just might play it.

I don't know if you want any suggestions for games or if you had any ideas of titles to pick yet @LazyBoy but I'd be happy to supply a list of some titles if required. :peace:

Sorry, but that's not how it's supposed to be. 
Keep it in the Video Game Club. There's no reason to do this here.

While the original idea was to keep it retro, we've been open to expanding the console list to whatever we want and with the Switch being included there's a good chance the abysmal participation from the March thread will be outdone easily. So please, just do this over at the General Gaming board. Separation is rarely a good thing. I doubt we'll get decent participation if we split this into "Switch", "Retro", "PS4", "Xbox", whatever. With this being a Nintendo focused forum the Switch topic will probably always "win" (I hate to use that word here but it's the best way to make my point) and in turn make the original thread redundant. 

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

Hey Drahkon. I haven't got any other consoles to play on at the moment, and I'm sure you can understand that I would have no interest in arranging a game club I can't take part in. If its not going to work to do a Switch exclusive club than its best we kill this thread before it gets into flow. Could we maybe gauge the interest for a separate thread first? I understand the need to keep the forum clean and orderly, but if enough people are up for it surely we can spare the web space?

• Thanks 1

Well, I just wanted to say that I support both options, I'm not wishing to cause any division here. :peace:

I really like the N-Europe Video Games Club and I don't want it to end but I also like the idea of a Switch Games Club as well.

Especially at a time when there isn't a lot of posting on the forum generally, anything which might increase member participation has surely got to be a good thing?

I thought of N-E Video Games Club as being more purely retro focused, so I thought this Switch Game Club might be more about Indie titles on the Switch, of which there are many.

Anyway, I hope we can come up with something which will suit everyone, the main thing is that we end up playing more games and talking about them. :smile:

10 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Hey Drahkon. I haven't got any other consoles to play on at the moment, and I'm sure you can understand that I would have no interest in arranging a game club I can't take part in.

You missed my point.

You can absolutely make a Switch related vote. I just don't think it's a great idea to make a separate version just for one console over here. That's why I said there's no reason to not put it in the "actual" Video Game Club thread.

There will always be people who don't want to/can't take part during one month because of the choice of console/games and that's fine. Just because I don't have a Switch doesn't mean I don't like to see a Video Game Club thread about it. :) 

The biggest problem with this is: I would keep the "original" thread going, even if this one was running. Meaning: People who want to take part and don't have money/time to spare would have to choose one. Worst case: One thread will die. That's why I'm proposing to just use your choices for the "original" thread. That way we can maximize participation.

Added bonus: Higher participation could mean a higher chance that this will get some coverage on the main site.

Edit: Possible solution (in my opinion the best one; mainly because I came up with it :p).

Start the vote in the thread in the General Gaming board and create the actual monthly thread (i.e. "April N-E Video Game Club...") in the Switch Board. That way the voting stays within original idea and the result gets more exposure.

Edited by drahkon

Alright bugger it, lets give it a go in the existing thread then, and you can close this. Im a little concerned it won't get enough visibility, but lets face that when we come to it. 

Good bye dear thread, I hardly knew thee.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LazyBoy said:

Alright bugger it, lets give it a go in the existing thread then, and you can close this. Im a little concerned it won't get enough visibility, but lets face that when we come to it. 

Go for it. I'll try something once your post is done :) 

While I do like the idea, I also think drahkon is right: the monthly game club already covers a lot of ground, splitting it might hurt the spirit of the activity.

Good thing is, the Switch covers a lot of titles. A lot of titles being suggested there are already available on the Switch.