NEurope
Julius

The Disney Thread

Watched the latest (8th) episode of X-Men 97.

Spoiler

Started off really well, with the rise of the big baddie and the revelation of the bio-sentinel threat across the globe. Really started to get going, and looking pretty desperate for our heroes, and then...

...Magneto just sort of kills all the bad guys with little fanfare...or drama.

A real damp squib of an ending to the episode. Obviously they still have an episode to go, so I assume that's not the end of it, but they set it up to have a really cool moment with Magneto saving the day, and it fell really flat.

Maybe part of it was down to Magneto being in his underpants (for some reason), but he just floats up to the north pole and....all sentinels dead. Really lame. 

Now that X-Men is finished, I bought Disney+ for the month to watch it.

Spoiler

Given this was what Gambit said in the original series, I knew something was gonna happen to him. I wasn't prepared what that was though. Absolutely gutted. He's always been my favourite X-Man, whether it was the comics or the cartoon. When he said the line...heartbreaking. :(

Spoiler

Watching this episode now and OZT has appeared on the screen...it's Operation Zero Tolerance, isn't it? Freaking loved that storyline in the comics. This means Bastion must be showing up at some point.

Edit: Yup, there's the SOB.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Wow. They actually done the Fatal Attractions storyline! Are we getting a bone claws Wolverine? If Xavier does wipe Magneto's mind in the final episode, that means Onslaught is on the table!

What an ending!

Spoiler

The end credits zinger...yup, Gambit is gonna become the Horseman of Death. Just like what happened in the comics. :bouncy:

Jean and Scott ending up in the future and I knew straight away the Askani were going to show up. Probably gonna be some references to the Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix and Askani'son mini series.

As for the other X-Men ending up in Egypt, this group's storyline will probably reference the En Sabah Nur/Rise of Apocalypse mini series, which showed the origin of him.

Xavier not wiping Magneto's mind meant that Joseph isn't likely to show up. Shame. Onslaught is still on the cards though. Xavier spent a lot of time in the mind of Magneto, which is why Onslaught was birthed in the first place. So hope they do that storyline and the seeds have been planted here.

I'm amazed how many comic storylines the writers managed to fit into 10 episodes. They all merged so well. As someone who read the X-Men comics in the 90's, this series delivered and then some.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

As I said on the other page, the only problem I had (and I assume you did too) with them referencing all these comics was that I knew a lot of the twists before they happened.

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

As I said on the other page, the only problem I had (and I assume you did too) with them referencing all these comics was that I knew a lot of the twists before they happened.

I didn't really see it as a problem as such. I love the storylines so much and it's nice to have them in animated form.

Watching this and looking back at the originals, you can see just how shackled the writers were back then. There are far more darker themes and storylines in this season that would never have been given the greenlight back then. 

What did you think of Morph's use this season? Other than some fun Easter eggs from his morphing I thought they were pretty pointless and didn't need to be added to the roster. I saw more discussion on what their powers actually did rather than the character themselves.

Edit: fixing pronouns

Edited by Happenstance

10 hours ago, Happenstance said:

What did you think of Morph's use this season? Other than some fun Easter eggs from his morphing I thought they were pretty pointless and didn't need to be added to the roster. I saw more discussion on what their powers actually did rather than the character themselves.

Edit: fixing pronouns

I think there was no need for them to be in it and their inclusion was probably because

1. They were in for representation purposes.

2. They were put in so they could do cameos for other characters.

They didn't really bring anything to the story other than a couple of minutes about their history with Sinister.