NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Pokemon Direct 6th June 3PM

I'm very, very slowly coming to terms with this. Whilst I'm not a fan of the idea of an alternate take on SM a la a traditional third version as opposed to sequels, I'm intrigued by what stories they think they can pull off with a new take on very recent games.

I truly think that the game not coming to Switch is good for all parties: it gives Gamefreak more time to work on whatever they have planned (I think the HD assets found in SM were simply an initial blueprint for what they want to do on the Switch, and with models for all 802 Pokémon + alternate forms already in HD, apart from perhaps more intricacies being added, the models we want to see are pretty much ready, and they might their focus to now shift to other things, such as world/character design, plot, a more complex AI, etc.) and means that the Switch doesn't put itself out of business. Seriously: whilst having a myriad of games is never a bad thing for a new system, it would have been a terrible business decision for Nintendo to ask Gamefreak to rush out a sub-par Pokémon game, and especially on a console with <5 million units sold at this point -- not due to difficulties selling the system, but rather, due to production difficulties.

They can't make the consoles fast enough as it is, and we just recently heard that they might end up scrapping with Apple for parts. Nintendo preys on high demand and low supply when it comes to rolling out new products, but announcing a main series Pokémon game would result in too high a demand for any supply to be sufficient at this point. And that's without taking into account just how packed Q3/Q4 already looks for the Switch games catalogue as is! I mean, when would it feasibly release?

Would a Switch main game be nice? Sure.

At this juncture though, there's huge connectivity issues. While online appears to have been sorted, local appears to not have been and that's where an issue lies.

Before the Stars rumour from Eurogamer, we wouldn't have even considered it based on past experiences with Pokémon. The rumour spurred this on.

That trailer with the guy going on a trip somewhere new and playing people along the way would've worked way better if it was advertising a new main series Pokémon game. The sense of adventure doesn't really say Pokken.

At this juncture though, there's huge connectivity issues. While online appears to have been sorted, local appears to not have been and that's where an issue lies.

Before the Stars rumour from Eurogamer, we wouldn't have even considered it based on past experiences with Pokémon. The rumour spurred this on.

GamesIndustry (I believe it was) also stated a Pokémon game would be coming in the first six months which further (started? forget the timing) things.

What do you mean online appears to have been sorted for Switch but local hasn't?

So did you telling everyone to get hyped. :p

At the very least this Direct got me to carry on with my playthrough of Moon, so it wasn't a total bust.

Whilst I do think that we likely would have considered it regardless - perhaps especially because of how strong Nintendo's announced first and second party line-up has been so far - I do agree: Eurogamer's report spurred on expectations.

Which I find extremely odd. Not only did it come out around the time of SM's release (actually, wasn't it within 24 hours or so of release one way or the other?), it reported that we would be seeing them utilise the HD assets found in the games, if I remember correctly.

Which...might have been even more odd, and perhaps should have been a dead giveaway: as far as I can tell, every time this franchise moves to a newer console, a dedicated (albeit sometimes slightly tweaked) engine or assets are created that make full use of the new system's hardware upgrades, and yet Eurogamer were reporting that Stars would be, at least as I read it, making use of the same engine and assets found in SM? What an odd report...

GamesIndustry (I believe it was) also stated a Pokémon game would be coming in the first six months which further (started? forget the timing) things.

What do you mean online appears to have been sorted for Switch but local hasn't?

And it is in Pokkén :P

And I mean 3DS <-> Switch interconnectivity. Online between 3DS and Switch seems to be possible based on Monster Hunter, but Monster Hunter can't seem to do it locally. That's a big roadblock for Pokémon if that isn't possible right now

So did you telling everyone to get hyped. :p

At the very least this Direct got me to carry on with my playthrough of Moon, so it wasn't a total bust.

It's a new main series Pokémon game AND GS on Virtual Console.

Hell yes I told people to get hyped.

Granted I was also under the impression there was to be some GO stuff, but that turned out not to pass. My apologies on that.

And it is in Pokkén :P

And I mean 3DS <-> Switch interconnectivity. Online between 3DS and Switch seems to be possible based on Monster Hunter, but Monster Hunter can't seem to do it locally. That's a big roadblock for Pokémon if that isn't possible right now

It's a few weeks too late for six months :heh:

The wording was such that you had one of your Pokémon Gaming Coming to Europe One Week Later Fits™ about how it couldn't be true as it implied a mainline game rather than a sideshow.

Ah okay, thought you were talking about Switch online generally which is a bit of a beta still.

]It's a new main series Pokémon game[/b] AND GS on Virtual Console.

Hell yes I told people to get hyped.

That is stuck on the 3DS. I think you've misread the audience on N-E as I imagine most people were hoping/wanting at least a Switch version of the game. Judging by the reaction from other places, this is what a lot of people were wanting, as well.

To be fair, given that you have been stuck covering mobile games for a while, you probably would have been hyped even if a new Mystery Dungeon game was announced for 3DS.

I've moved on from the 3DS so would have preferred to have all the games on Switch.

That is stuck on the 3DS. I think you've misread the audience on N-E as I imagine most people were hoping/wanting at least a Switch version of the game. Judging by the reaction from other places, this is what a lot of people were wanting, as well.

To be fair, given that you have been stuck covering mobile games for a while, you probably would have been hyped even if a new Mystery Dungeon game was announced for 3DS.

Before the Eurogamer rumour, based on past precedent with Pokémon and new devices, we never would have considered a Switch version.

I get that this is disappointing. Even I was hoping for a Switch version. However, it's fully understandable and makes sense in the context of Pokémon.

Edited by Serebii

Before the Eurogamer rumour, based on past precedent with Pokémon and new devices, we never would have considered a Switch version.

Possibly but then you have stuff like Fire Emblem Warriors and Monster Hunter getting 3DS and Switch versions. Pokemon could, and in my opinion should, have been one of these types of situations.

Serebii, you said about 'making the switch', don't make out you knew it was 3ds only and it's still really exciting, it obviously isn't. You, like all of us, thought it was for the switch too.

One thing I was thinking, and this may be a little too conspiracy theory and ridiculous, but we have been talking about what do Nintendo release next year and the year after etc. But I wonder if Nintendo know they'll sell out on Switchs anyway this year, so don't NEED the Pokemon game like maybe they originally thought, and instead a big brand new completely new Pokemon game next year, exclusive to Switch will make a bigger splash than not watering it down with this version...

Serebii, you said about 'making the switch', don't make out you knew it was 3ds only and it's still really exciting, it obviously isn't. You, like all of us, thought it was for the switch too.

One thing I was thinking, and this may be a little too conspiracy theory and ridiculous, but we have been talking about what do Nintendo release next year and the year after etc. But I wonder if Nintendo know they'll sell out on Switchs anyway this year, so don't NEED the Pokemon game like maybe they originally thought, and instead a big brand new completely new Pokemon game next year, exclusive to Switch will make a bigger splash than not watering it down with this version...

That was about Pokkén...

That was about Pokkén...

You are saying, 100% honesty, with a straight-face, you didn't think the new Pokemon game was coming to switch? The Star/Ultra thing?

You are saying, 100% honesty, with a straight-face, you didn't think the new Pokemon game was coming to switch? The Star/Ultra thing?

I had heard rumblings of both from my sources, but my main one said 3DS so I assumed it'd either be 3DS only or both.

True but I was hoping for a good single player game, sooner rather than later. If you look at the Switch lineup it is heavily leaning towards multiplayer games, especially local mulitplayer. Snipperclips, 1-2 Switch, Mario Kart, ARMS, Street Fighter 2, Pokken, Bomberman and Splatoon 2 are all multiplayer experiences and, given the state of the Switch's online setup, these are hardly ideal for myself.

I imagine most people are done with Zelda now and I would have liked to have seen Pokemon on the Switch just give give the system another big single player experience. Xenoblade 2 is on the cards but I still have doubts that the West will get it this year. Sure, there are a lot of indie titles but most of these games are pretty short.

True but I was hoping for a good single player game, sooner rather than later. If you look at the Switch lineup it is heavily leaning towards multiplayer games, especially local mulitplayer. Snipperclips, 1-2 Switch, Mario Kart, ARMS, Street Fighter 2, Pokken, Bomberman and Splatoon 2 are all multiplayer experiences and, given the state of the Switch's online setup, these are hardly ideal for myself.

I imagine most people are done with Zelda now and I would have liked to have seen Pokemon on the Switch just give give the system another big single player experience. Xenoblade 2 is on the cards but I still have doubts that the West will get it this year. Sure, there are a lot of indie titles but most of these games are pretty short.

Oh I agree completely, I don't like Xenobalde so I don't even have that. Just wonder if it was a consideration for them, maybe it was going to come to both but they thought they do't need it.

Hang on, we're forgetting another one player adventure game - Mario and Rabbids - xmas is saved!!!

Hang on, we're forgetting another one player adventure game - Mario and Rabbids - xmas is saved!!!

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what this game looks like and how it plays. I love the Minions (King Bob!) and I don't find the Rabbids that offensive.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what this game looks like and how it plays. I love the Minions (King Bob!) and I don't find the Rabbids that offensive.

I just hope it nails the humour and has a great story and good mechanics, a really generic, simple RPG with cringe humour is what I'm expecting.

I like the rabbids to be honest, prefer them than the minions (which are such a rip off of the rabbids it's crazy), we'll see. But can never be a game to truly excite.

1: Has Serebii got anything right EVER?

2: As somebody else mentioned, Switch is in desperate need of a single player game. Zelda is done, MK & Tetris were good for a short while for quick 10 minute blasts, but my Switch has sat in it's dock untouched for a couple of weeks now. Where are all the 3rd party games we were promised? They really need to drop some bombs at E3.

I'm looking forward to the Rabbids game as well, I'm sure it'll be fun.

I was also thinking this and certainly don't remember him getting anything right.

2: As somebody else mentioned, Switch is in desperate need of a single player game. Zelda is done, MK & Tetris were good for a short while for quick 10 minute blasts, but my Switch has sat in it's dock untouched for a couple of weeks now. Where are all the 3rd party games we were promised? They really need to drop some bombs at E3.

Third party games promised? When was this?

There was hope there would be 3rd party titles but I don't remember any promises.

Yes? I've informed people here of imminent news numerous times.

What did I get wrong here?

Yes? I've informed people here of imminent news numerous times.

What did I get wrong here?

You didn't say anything this time, just that people should get hyped, AFTER the Direct had already been announced. The reaction from yesterday's Pokemon Direct is almost entirely negative.

The last time you "informed people of imminent news" was for the Switch reveal and you got that wrong week after week.

Edited by Ronnie

Sign in to follow this