N-Europe

Wii U eShop Games Heading To Retail

Hero-of-Time

Nintendo are set to release Wii U eShop games at retail as part of their own Select range.

Nintendo is to demonstrate its commitment to supporting the indie scene with the Nintendo eShop Selects range, which sees Shin’en Multimedia’s FAST Racing NEO and Image & Form’s SteamWorld Collection head to retail.

Players can weave their way through futuristic sci-fi racer FAST Racing NEO, piloting anti-gravity vehicles through dense jungles, futuristic cities, abandoned mines or high up in the stratosphere.

The Nintendo eShop Selects version will add eight downloadable courses that will become available in the NEO Future Pack on-disc. This add-on content will see release on the Nintendo eShop on September 30th, with some tracks to be playable at this year’s Gamescom in August.

The SteamWorld Collection will bundle SteamWorld Dig and SteamWorld Heist in the same retail package. Entirely different experiences, SteamWorld Dig will see you as the lone mining steambot Rusty as he arrives at an old mining town in need. You will dig beneath the earth to gather riches and unlock upgrades that will let you explore new areas.

SteamWorld Heist on the otherhand places you in control of a steam-driven pirate crew, as you board, loot and shoot your way through enemy spaceships. Promising turn-based strategy with an action twist, players are encourages to pull off skill shots as they ricochet bullets to eliminate their enemies.

Stylish hats are just one reward, with SteamWorld Heist‘s The Outsider add-on content to be included on-disc with new weapons, gear and headwear. SteamWorld Heist‘s Wii U version will be playable at Gamescom.

FAST Racing Neo and SteamWorld Collection will release at retail in Europe on September 30th as part of the Nintendo eShop Selects range.

mXl5WYC.png

Shame about the awful boxart. :(

Hopefully they come with reversible boxes without the awful border.

Nice to see these games get retail releases! (Also, 8 new courses for FRN! Woo!) Nintendo should've done this years ago; would've rounded out their retail lineup nicely and helped to prevent the lack of retail presence for Wii U but alas...

Hopefully they stick with this from now on and carry it on as standard with exclusive independently developed NX titles!

This is an interesting development, at the time of review I recall Shin'en empathically stating that there would be no DLC for FAST Racing NEO...

Manfred Linzner was asked if there are any plans to release DLC for its upcoming Wii U racer. This is ruled out quickly, with Linzner stating: “We want to release all content we created at launch of the game.”

So in the review I included the following paragraph...

If any DLC had been planned then it would of course have been the icing on the cake which in this case is a fairly unassuming offering which has a certain richness to it, alas there is no actual DLC planned but then again I feel as if we should be thankful for the game as it is for I'd rather that than have an offering which merely looks good while turning out to be rather bland like a lot of other racers have been; this certainly isn't the case for this spectacular title though as while it may be bare bones in its presentation, lacking in a certain challenge mode from the original and not have a huge amount of customisable options it is still a true triumph for the eShop, one which should surely be celebrated for what it has achieved rather than berated for what else could have been included.

I suppose it's all in the wording though... :heh:

Regardless I am officially very happy at the news of there being another eight tracks coming for the game at the end of September. :D

Being that I reviewed the game and so already have a digital copy, I would be going for just the NEO Future DLC pack and judging that the game is only £10.99 on the eShop, the fact that the original game has Sixteen tracks then I would have thought that because the new tracks are effectively half of the existing game - though the combined total would mean this is a third of the newer package - then surely it won't cost much more than £5.99 I would have guessed, which means the price of the retail release has got to be £17.99 or thereabouts. :indeed:

Personally I think the borders on these releases are certainly NOT aesthetically pleasing to say the least, why not just have orange cases instead with the original artwork and a smaller eShop Selects logo down at the bottom of the case? ::shrug:

Anyway, more DLC for FAST and another way to own the acclaimed SteamWorld titles, so this is still excellent news! : peace: