NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Severed (PSVita)

If you haven’t heard of Severed before, here’s a quick rundown: Severed is a first-person dungeon crawling adventure where you equip the carcasses of your enemies to gain their powers. You play as Sasha, a warrior who wakes up in a surreal fantasy world and sets off on a mission to find the missing members of her family.

Take control of a one-armed warrior named Sasha, wielding a living sword on her journey through a nightmare world in search of her family. Swipe-based touch controls will let you solve puzzles, find secrets, and do battle with a host of disturbing monsters. As the journey goes on, you’ll unlock new abilities, ascend an RPG-style upgrade tree, and tease apart the mysteries of the dark fantasy universe Sasha finds herself in.

• Dungeon Combat: Master offensive and defensive touch combat techniques to survive intense battles against a menagerie of enemies.
  • Severing: Best enemies in combat for a chance at severing their body parts -- then wear them to gain new powers or consume them to upgrade your equipment and abilities.
  • Exploration: Follow branching routes through the open world, using your wits to avoid hazards and solve puzzles.
  • Music: Original soundtrack from Juno-nominated band YAMANTAKA // SONIC TITAN featuring Pantayo.

Out on April 26th. It's a PSVita exclusive. Yes, that's right. A PS Vita exclusive!!!

I can't wait for this. The art style makes me want to play Guacamelee! again. That reminds me, I need to get that Platinum :laughing:

It's time to bump!

Played this for 45 minutes, basically just pushing through the corridors without looking for secrets.

The mechanics are great. They utilize the touchscreen in such a way that it is mandatory and not annoying. It's satisfying filling up the focus meter and then slashing away enemies' limbs :D

Exploration so far isn't really an option...at least I assume that's the case as I've come across several paths that I can't open.

"Levelling" up is really well done. There's no XP-system (as far as I can tell). Instead you have to use the aforementioned focus meter. Fill it up with combos, then kill an enemy and sever its limbs. These limbs are used to acquire skills.

Makes fights much more tactical. The enemies I've encountered are really well designed, as well so battles are fun!

The artstyle and atmopshere are amazing. Very gloomy. The music adds a lot to that.

Everybody who owns a Vita should check this out.

Yeah, this game is something really special. I bought it at 7am and have been playing it the best part of the morning. I've just defeated the second boss and will be heading back into the maze once I've had some lunch.

The art style, music and setting are all give off a sense of melancholy. It's hauntingly beautiful. The music piece at the starting area is especially sad and soothing at the same time.

Some of the music reminds me of certain pieces from the movie Labyrinth. Im not talking about the David Bowie music but just some of the mood music when Jennifer Connelly is walking around the maze. It's very fitting.

The touch controls are flat out amazing. Probably the best use I've seen for touch controls in a very long time. While I'm not usually a fan of gimmicky control methods, Drinkbox have absolutely nailed it with this game.

EDIT: And the credits have rolled and the platinum obtained.

20160502184126_zpsx6fvhhum.jpg

The last boss was a pushover, even more so the second time ( had to fight him again once I got everything to unlock a trophy ) as I had all the power ups at my disposal. The lead up to said boss was beautifully done though. Very touching.

The hardest fight was probably when trying to get a certain item. You get jumped by 3 enemies, all have buffs and you're against the clock. It took me a fair few goes to get it done.

I seriously can't get over how good this game is. It's a shame that the game will never reach more of an audience, due to the platform it's on and the control method it uses.

Speaking of the controls, this is an example of how to make a game with a unique control method but not at the sacrifice of the gameplay. I played through Star Fox Zero recently and comparing the two in terms of control schemes and enjoyment level is like night and day. As I said earlier, Drinkbox nailed it with this and in no way does it feel like you're being hindered while playing the game. Everything feel very natural.

Colin and Greg were hyping up the game a lot on PS I Love You XOXO and I feel that the hype was justified. Well played, Drinkbox. :bowdown:

I seriously can't get over how good this game is. It's a shame that the game will never reach more of an audience, due to the platform it's on and the control method it uses.

Yeah, it really is kinda sad. I secretly hope for a PS4 port, it could work with the touchpad..

Just beaten the second boss. : peace: It's such a wonderful game.

How much time did you spend with collecting everything? And is it worth going back through the early areas before progressing with the Citadel?

Yeah, it really is kinda sad. I secretly hope for a PS4 port, it could work with the touchpad..

Just beaten the second boss. : peace: It's such a wonderful game.

How much time did you spend with collecting everything? And is it worth going back through the early areas before progressing with the Citadel?

Took about 6-7 hours to get the platinum.

The Citadel is the final area but the final fight occurs elsewhere.

Just play through the game and beat the boss. After the credits you start the game just before the final fight, so you can grab any thing you've missed then. Of course, you could do all of this before the final boss fight as well.

When the mirror opens up at your house, that's the final battle. Do everything you want to do before heading through it or just fight the last boss, collect everything and then fight him again.

Good to know, thanks : peace:

I'll take my time with this. I could probably finish the game tonight/tomorrow but I want to spread my playthrough out over the next few days.

Just Platinum'd this, fantastic game. Didn't enjoy it as much as Guacamelee, but then again you can't really compare the two. The last boss was cool but very easy. The toughest bit was getting through that 3x enemy encounter that @Hero\-of\-Time mentioned on the Mountain Summit, that took half a dozen goes for me.

Beautiful game. If I had one criticism it would be that the traversal mechanic felt extremely dated, but it worked well enough for the style of game. That said I was looking at the mini map most of the time, which seems a shame.

Highly recommended! As above, it's a shame that so few people will experience it.

Edited by Ronnie

Given just how much you guys seem to love this game (and how much I enjoyed Guacamelee) I decided to take the plunge on this. Damn you guys for making me spending more money :wink: but if it turns out to be as enjoyable as you've all made out I may just forgive you all.

Given just how much you guys seem to love this game (and how much I enjoyed Guacamelee) I decided to take the plunge on this. Damn you guys for making me spending more money :wink: but if it turns out to be as enjoyable as you've all made out I may just forgive you all.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I really should play Guacamelee. I have it both on my Vita ( normal edition ) and PS4 ( special edition ) and haven't touched either of them. Both were from PS+ at some point.

Just to say that I've made a quick start on it and you guys are definitely forgiven, fallen in love with it already so cheers guys, it's highly unlikely that I'd have picked this up had it not been for this thread :bowdown:

How hard is this game? It evokes feelings of those hard dungeon exploring games like etrian odyssey which I would never ever finish in a million ways.

How hard is this game? It evokes feelings of those hard dungeon exploring games like etrian odyssey which I would never ever finish in a million ways.

It's very easy. The few times I've died were due to me not concentrating at all (I often played this while watching TV).

It's very easy. The few times I've died were due to me not concentrating at all (I often played this while watching TV).

Indeed. There's also the added bonus of if you die then you just respawn next to the enemy that defeated you and you have all your health back.

How bizzare I read reviews that made out it was hard!

Yeah but it took me about 6 months to beat drahkon's high score on resogun and H-o-T has the highest PSN level I've ever seen so these aren't the most balanced opinions ;)

Yeah but it took me about 6 months to beat drahkon's high score on resogun and H-o-T has the highest PSN level I've ever seen so these aren't the most balanced opinions ;)

lol very true....

Wow! I must be doing something very wrong* if this game could be classed as very easy. I've had a few moments where I've been challenged and the area I'm in at the moment is causing me all sorts of problems, trying to manage those buffs/debuffs with multiple enemies is proving problematic. Admittedly, it is handy that dying places you right before the fight you died in but even so. Still enjoying it a lot though.

*Disclaimer: It could well be that my gaming skills aren't what they once were seeing as I struggled through Dark Souls III more than any other game in the series, I'm awful at Uncharted multiplayer, seem to have gotten worse at Rocket League and now this game. Just recent examples of my declining skillset.

Wow! I must be doing something very wrong* if this game could be classed as very easy. I've had a few moments where I've been challenged and the area I'm in at the moment is causing me all sorts of problems, trying to manage those buffs/debuffs with multiple enemies is proving problematic. Admittedly, it is handy that dying places you right before the fight you died in but even so. Still enjoying it a lot though.

*Disclaimer: It could well be that my gaming skills aren't what they once were seeing as I struggled through Dark Souls III more than any other game in the series, I'm awful at Uncharted multiplayer, seem to have gotten worse at Rocket League and now this game. Just recent examples of my declining skillset.

Glad it's not just me!

The blind spell is your friend. Upgrade the shit out of it.

Admittedly I wasn't using the spell as often as I could/should have, as I didn't think it was particularly effective at first, especially due to how much of a hit your damage output took so it seemed counter-productive. Nearly all of my upgrades went on the sword and I wasn't in a rush to upgrade the spells. As you know, BIG MISTAKE :blush:

Anyway, game has now been completed and the Platinum has been obtained too. Took me just shy of 10hrs which is pretty bad by comparison but what the hell, it's done.

Absolutely incredible game (as others have testified) and one I'd also consider to be a must-buy for Vita owners.

Sign in to follow this