NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

Help!

My Pc has gone ultra slow on the internet... offline it runs fine... so I wondered if it was my connection, but my Wii U is working fine... so any ideas what the issue could be? I've checked task manager for suspicious processes, cleared my hdd a bit,used scan disk, all to no avail. issue is in opera and firefox :-/

nm, Did a speedtest which explained all! 0.06 bits/second download speed :|

although... my wii u is accessing the net just fine :/

Edited by Pestneb

My Pc has gone ultra slow on the internet... offline it runs fine... so I wondered if it was my connection, but my Wii U is working fine... so any ideas what the issue could be? I've checked task manager for suspicious processes, cleared my hdd a bit,used scan disk, all to no avail. issue is in opera and firefox :-/

nm, Did a speedtest which explained all! 0.06 bits/second download speed :|

although... my wii u is accessing the net just fine :/

How are you connected to the internet? Have you tried using an ethernet cable or a different dongle?

Maybe something wrong with the network chip..? Check your device manager? Have you done a proper virus scan?

Thanks for the suggestions... the PC is working as normal again. I really don't have a clue what was wrong.... a little concerned it could be malware.

I'll answer the questions best as I can though

1)I have a wifi card installed in my PC, it is my only means of connecting as the router isn't accessible directly.

2)I checked my Hard drive, didn't have the intelligence to consider the wireless card... :blank: I will try to remember to do that if it ever happens again!

3) ran a virus scan (avg) nothing came up as suspicious. Defragged my hard drive (well analysed it and was told it wasn't fragmented), did avg tune up, and disk clean up....

I had a PC once just wouldn't load windows at all (back on XP) I rebooted it multiple times, tried waiting it out.. eventually, kinda annoyed because the warranty had just expired the month before, I switched the PC off and feeling rather dejected watched some tv. After dinner I came back up, gave it one more try (why not) and it worked just fine. In the original none working situation it was from cold too which means it wasn't due to overheating so... :wtf:

Anyway thanks for offering a helping hand guys!

You don't have Steam do you, it hogs my entire bandwidth while it downloads something, although it affects my entire network. Could be something similar downloading in the background?

I hope it is something like that! it hasn't happened again since but I'll keep all this in mind - it's been a while since I last had to use troubleshooting skills on a PC!

Do you just use anti-virus or anti-malware stuff as well? I find something like MBAM(the software, not our Buttons!) picks up some of the little adwarey shit that doesn't neccessarily get pulled as viruses. Having said that - I haven't worked with or troubleshooted windows for a while and no idea what sort of state current software versions are in and if they're still useful.

Yeah I have antivirus... antimalware I don't have knowingly.. although I think my antivirus tended to scan for that as well... I should probably double check if that remains the case..

Well, I think if you've nothing to lose I'd suggest getting MBAM and giving the computer a scan. It never used to be real time though could be these days - it was more a fire it up, run a scan, and see what it gets. It'll get lots of stuff like cookies etc but it may also get some other bits you don't expect, and I found that pretty handy as they weren't strictly virus-ey things per se but I wouldn't say they were wanted either. Used to pick up dodgy registry keys too, which my mind jumped to for your problems, whereas an antivirus probably wouldn't necessarily do that.

Sign in to follow this