NEurope
drahkon

Furi (PC, PS4)

There is a feeling that I remember from when I was a kid playing video games: the huge, intense satisfaction when I finally beat a level or a boss I had been struggling with for a while. The feeling of learning how to overcome a challenge, with my brain and my thumbs. The combination of understanding and execution felt like a reward in itself. I remember it from games like Super Punch Out, bosses from Metal Gear Solid, combat in God Hand.

[...]

The gameplay is the essence of the catch line ‘easy to learn, hard to master’. There are very few buttons to press or abilities to remember. You can slash with your sword, shoot with your gun, dodge and parry. That’s about it. You can charge the slash attack, the gun shot and the dodge. It’ll result in a more powerful slash that stuns the opponent, a more powerful gunshot that knocks him or her down, and a longer dodge. But once you’ve got that, you can play Furi. It’s like a guitar: it has six strings, but you need practice to play it correctly. And there’s no limit to how much you can improve, it’s simple and deep.

PS.Blog EU

Oh my God, this looks so cool. Right up my alley.

Looks pretty awesome and gives a Suda51 vibe. I'm not much for bullet hells though.

Yeah I was gonna say, this could have been a new Suda game.

Don't like the lead character design one bit, but the gameplay reminds me a bit of the No More Heroes fights.

Got me curious so I looked up what Suda51 is up to (came across his Twitter, he went a Platinum Games party which is cool, because holy shit Platinum is 10 years old now...) and found Let it Die....a free to play hack and slash with a mobile companion app that's meant to be integral it sounds like.

So...in short Furi depressed me.

The music is absolutely amazing.

I checked Gaf and a couple of people linked the following video from the same composer.

While the video is a little out there and may not be for everyone, the music is outstanding.

Still can't believe we'll get this as one of the PS+ games. Can't wait :grin:

Please don't suck :laughing:

Edited by drahkon

Please don't suck :laughing.

Even if the gameplay isn't great, at least the game looks to be delivering an awesome soundtrack to listen to. :D

Even if the gameplay isn't great, at least the game looks to be delivering an awesome soundtrack to listen to. :D

Indeed : peace:

Soundtrack up for Pre-order on Bandcamp. You can listen to three songs for free and they are freaking awesome.

Among others Danger (@Daft might be interested), Carpenter Brut, The Toxic Avenger and Scattle worked on this. Looks like it's going to be a quality soundtrack, might even rival Hotline Miami's.

Hope it pops up on Spotify eventually.

Edited by drahkon

Indeed : peace:

Soundtrack up for Pre-order on Bandcamp. You can listen to three songs for free and they are freaking awesome.

Among others Danger (@Daft might be interested), Carpenter Brut, The Toxic Avenger and Scattle worked on this. Looks like it's going to be a quality soundtrack, might even rival Hotline Miami's.

Hope it pops up on Spotify eventually.

Oh

MY

GOD

lucille-bluth-excited-squee.gif

A stylish, mechanically polished boss rush game, Furi effectively channels the spirit of Punch-Out!! to make for an unexpected gem.

Recommended from Eurogamer.

: peace:

It also has a Platinum to get. :bouncy: I hope this gets released at midnight :D

A stylish, mechanically polished boss rush game, Furi effectively channels the spirit of Punch-Out!! to make for an unexpected gem.

Recommended from Eurogamer.

: peace:

It also has a Platinum to get. :bouncy: I hope this gets released at midnight :D

Looks awesome.

It is awesome. :grin:

Just fought the first boss and he kicked my ass. I was so bad :laughing: My parries were the worst...I'm currently rendering the video in Share Factory, not sure if the upload finishes in the near future...but I'll post it whenever it's on YouTube.

I pride myself in being a pretty competent player and being good at lots of difficult games but that fight makes me look like a noob :D I love it.

It is the perfect game for me. Basic premise with only few moves but executing and mastering them and reacting to the enemy makes Furi a gem for people who enjoy those kind of games. :bowdown:

Edit: There it is.

Edited by drahkon

Looks awesome.

It is awesome. :grin:

Just fought the first boss and he kicked my ass. I was so bad :laughing: My parries were the worst...I'm currently rendering the video in Share Factory, not sure if the upload finishes in the near future...but I'll post it whenever it's on YouTube.

I pride myself in being a pretty competent player and being good at lots of difficult games but that fight makes me look like a noob :D I love it.

It is the perfect game for me. Basic premise with only few moves but executing and mastering them and reacting to the enemy makes Furi a gem for people who enjoy those kind of games. :bowdown:

Edit: There it is.

Edited by drahkon

I nailed the first boss on my go.

And I loved every second of it.

I nailed the first boss on my go.

And I loved every second of it.

Managed to beat the second and third boss without dying : peace: Oh man, dat music.

So far the bosses have been nicely varied. I was a bit worried that the bullet hell phases might become samey but that hasn't been the case, yet.

This is the perfect example of how a game can be difficult without being unfair. You don't have to memorize patterns to win and you don't necessarily need incredible reflexes (unless you want/have to parry). If you are observant enough you can "decipher" the patterns almost immediately and then it's up to you to move and time your attacks accordingly.

Really happy that Furi was one of this month's PS+ games :grin:

Managed to beat the second and third boss without dying : peace: Oh man, dat music.

So far the bosses have been nicely varied. I was a bit worried that the bullet hell phases might become samey but that hasn't been the case, yet.

This is the perfect example of how a game can be difficult without being unfair. You don't have to memorize patterns to win and you don't necessarily need incredible reflexes (unless you want/have to parry). If you are observant enough you can "decipher" the patterns almost immediately and then it's up to you to move and time your attacks accordingly.

Really happy that Furi was one of this month's PS+ games :grin:

Gave this a brief look on my sub-account (just in case it wasn't for me) and it certainly has a lot of promise.

First attempt on the first boss didn't end well, second attempt I was getting the hang of it then the game bloody crashed, on the third attempt I got the boss down to it's last health bar but could't finish it off, fourth attempt got to the last phase again and then my f'ing Dualshock 4 ran out of juice. The gaming gods are obviously not smiling on me today :shakehead

Getting a real El Shaddai vibe out of this and I enjoyed that game so look forward to giving it a deeper look.

EDIT: Seems to be some sort of issue with 'Charged shots' and the game just doesn't want to recognise inputs on the R2 button, sometimes it'll work, other times, not at all. I don't appear to be the only one who has experienced this problem so hopefully the developers are on the case. A shame too, as the game did have potential.

Edited by ThePigMarcher

Gave this a brief look on my sub-account (just in case it wasn't for me) and it certainly has a lot of promise.

First attempt on the first boss didn't end well, second attempt I was getting the hang of it then the game bloody crashed, on the third attempt I got the boss down to it's last health bar but could't finish it off, fourth attempt got to the last phase again and then my f'ing Dualshock 4 ran out of juice. The gaming gods are obviously not smiling on me today :shakehead

Getting a real El Shaddai vibe out of this and I enjoyed that game so look forward to giving it a deeper look.

EDIT: Seems to be some sort of issue with 'Charged shots' and the game just doesn't want to recognise inputs on the R2 button, sometimes it'll work, other times, not at all. I don't appear to be the only one who has experienced this problem so hopefully the developers are on the case. A shame too, as the game did have potential.

Edited by ThePigMarcher

This game is pretty rad. icon14.gif

Love how they just chuck you right into a Platinum games style OTT boss fight for the "tutorial". :laughing:

Made it to the 3rd guardian before calling it quits for the day, will definitely be sticking with it though. :smile:

This game is pretty rad. icon14.gif

Love how they just chuck you right into a Platinum games style OTT boss fight for the "tutorial". :laughing:

Made it to the 3rd guardian before calling it quits for the day, will definitely be sticking with it though. :smile:

During the first three fights I didn't have that problem. Then again, I don't really use the charged shots (even though the helped with the third boss).

Fought against the 4th boss once. I couldn't get the dodges right in the first close quarter combat phase :nono: I failed...

That OST is insane.