Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

So my wife had an implant without telling me...

Murr

I think all of you guys are overreacting... How on earth is an implant a big decision? It is the same as taking the pill, or using a condom. Nothing big about it. The only difference is that she now doesn't have to worry about taking a pill every day at the same time. It takes away a lot of stress. Plus the NHS likes to push the implant on people because it is cheaper than the pill (but only if you want it of course, because there are side effects too).

There is nothing wrong with her going for this, it can be taken out at any time she wants, so it doesn't affect her ability to have kids whenever you are both ready for it. I don't think it is something that she should have discussed beforehand because it is really not as big a thing as you all make it out to be. Now if she had gone and had her ovaries/uterus removed, that would have been a different matter... But you guys are all acting like that is exactly what she did. :/

Saying that she doesn't respect Murr because she did this is ridiculous. I contemplated the implant instead of the pill, and didn't consult with Fierce_LiNk about this. Why should I? He shouldn't have to care about how I stay childless for now, as long as it works and can be reversed. That is probably her way of thinking too.

Don't make a tiny molehill into a giant mountain.

Just want to say that I've never seen Ine angry-type for a loooong time. I could see the steam coming out of her ears. :heh:

Think it turned out well in the end (Murr's situation).

(on a side note, it does bring up the issue of it being a tad bit unfair on the women's side of things in terms of birth control. I know men have the condom, but it's a whole different situation when it comes to women and the pill/implant. I don't have to visit the doctor or have awkward conversations when wearing a condom (lawl, imagine that)...there's a definite bit of inequality there)

Just want to say that I've never seen Ine angry-type for a loooong time. I could see the steam coming out of her ears. :heh:

Think it turned out well in the end (Murr's situation).

(on a side note, it does bring up the issue of it being a tad bit unfair on the women's side of things in terms of birth control. I know men have the condom, but it's a whole different situation when it comes to women and the pill/implant. I don't have to visit the doctor or have awkward conversations when wearing a condom (lawl, imagine that)...there's a definite bit of inequality there)

Yeah, but unless you have a latex allergy or an incredibly too small condom the side effects are rather non existent. Other contraceptives mess with how the woman's body works, hence the reason Mrs Murr switched from one to the other. So consulting with a doctor makes a bit of sense.

Yeah, but unless you have a latex allergy or an incredibly too small condom the side effects are rather non existent. Other contraceptives mess with how the woman's body works, hence the reason Mrs Murr switched from one to the other. So consulting with a doctor makes a bit of sense.

That's not what I meant. I mean that it's rather unfair for women to have to go through that. Like you say, there's no side effects for us, but there are for women who take the pill/have the implant. That's what I mean when I say that it's unfair and not really equal.

Ohhh okay, I gotcha now. You brought up the having awkward doctor conversation and threw me off.

Yeah, I worded that bit wrong. (I'm tiiiiiired)

I mean men don't really have to have an awkward talk with the doctor about birth control, whereas women do. I've never had to talk to a doctor about condoms. That's what I meant. :heh:

It lasts 3 years yes, but many many people get them taken out before then (and its only effective in situ as it gradually releases hormones, not a one shot there you go 3 years jobby). I do think its totally within a woman's right to do what she likes in terms of temporary contraceptives...

Probably a discussion and/or reassurance that is indeed completely reversible might have been wise....I've seen men assume stupider things about contraceptives before now...!