NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

The mexican standoff (test drive)

Well! That was an excellent little bit of fun! Nice idea Smeagol - how did you find it compared to what you hoped/wanted?

TURN YOUR AUTOMERGE BACK ON, YOU CORRUPT DICTATOR!!!

Did Cube really get his PM in before me? What's the time stamps?

Check the rules

focus: you're a sitting target this turn, but next turn you will have priority, and dodging your shot will be useless.

I went first regardless of PM order.

Cube focussed, so I ended it early.

Thanks for playing! I hope it was a fun 20 minutes ;).

Congrats to Cube, the gamble paid off..

Do you people like the write-ups? On the other site (mafiascum), somone mentioned it may be better without them, and I removed the write-ups there. Would've made the final battle more interesting.. Then again, I think the write-ups are fun, especially when players submit customisations.

Oh, by the way, Moogle was actually faster last round, but Cube had priority, so he won.

Also, I don't know what's up with count-downs, but I had to edit them, maybe that was the problem. I'm used to 24 hours, not AM/PM. Keep making that mistake.

Damn, I just read it as focus beat dodge. Still thought a two way duel was fastest finger first.

Mine is a moral victory.

Ohhhhhhh. I totes misread/misunderstood too.

TURN YOUR AUTOMERGE BACK ON, YOU CORRUPT DICTATOR!!!

I actually have no power over such things!

But I'll ban you for bringing it to the attention of the people, dammit. *banbanban*

is this something that could be done on the irc/chat?

Yes, but like I mentioned in the OP I think, I couldn't be arsed to install an IRC client, and script some IRC scripts again.. That stuff is too long ago for me. I prefer the forum, even though the chat would be, objectively speaking, a better place for this.

Thanks for running the game. Smeagol!

As a bit of feedback, I think it would probably work better in IRC. Mainly to save my F5 button.

Anyway, that was incredibly fun. I expected Rummy and Moogle to go after each other.

Yes, but like I mentioned in the OP I think, I couldn't be arsed to install an IRC client, and script some IRC scripts again.. That stuff is too long ago for me. I prefer the forum, even though the chat would be, objectively speaking, a better place for this.

What about a mixture? PMs via forum, but results via chat?

In terms of write up - I think it works well.

I hear that mafiascum are pretty purist with information stuff so maybe they are tuned that way but seeing what other people are doing has something for you to make a decision from - rather than just blind guessing.

Also - it gives a nice trade off read information and act in response to it or just get what you were going to do off as close to start of the round as possible

Well! That was an excellent little bit of fun! Nice idea Smeagol - how did you find it compared to what you hoped/wanted?

Well, I already had a test drive on mafiascum, so I kinda knew what to expect, but it went pretty smoothly there too.

I did forget to add playerlists, so I added them in for this round. As a mod, I don't need playerlists, but you do.

And like I said above, there is the matter of write-ups / no write-ups. I think technically it may be better off without them, but I like them, so I'd like to know what you people think.

And like on mafiascum, I was barely in the thread, so I'm catching up now.

Did Cube really get his PM in before me? What's the time stamps?

Like I mentioned, you were actually faster.

Hey, but congrats on killing the most players!

That was awesome!

Have a go next time!

It is a cool game. I've definitely had thoughts of doing a similar one but gave up because I couldn't think of a way to execute it well. You got it down to a tee - quick burst game. Would love to see the mayhem of a game with more people!

if I know I'm around for it, I will! I saw this thread a tad too late otherwise I would've been game

Sorry, Jonnas. Nothing personal.

No hard feelings. I went after you, so you made the right choice ;)

Anyway, that was incredibly fun. I expected Rummy and Moogle to go after each other.

Exactly why I didn't, really. The meta is strong!

Thanks for running the game. Smeagol!

As a bit of feedback, I think it would probably work better in IRC. Mainly to save my F5 button.

Like I said, I know it's objectively a better place for it, and originally it was actually intended as an IRC game. But I don't think it's exagerrated to say that I haven't had an IRC client installed for a decade.. I'm learning PHP / MYSQL now, and that's definitely better for me as an exercise, and on the organisation side of things for me as a mod. For players, it would definitely better in the chat, but I prefer the forum as a mod.

What about a mixture? PMs via forum, but results via chat?

Depends on if it lets me paste the whole write-up in one go. I can do a test in a minute.

In terms of write up - I think it works well.

I hear that mafiascum are pretty purist with information stuff so maybe they are tuned that way but seeing what other people are doing has something for you to make a decision from - rather than just blind guessing.

Also - it gives a nice trade off read information and act in response to it or just get what you were going to do off as close to start of the round as possible

Well, this is not a mafia game. They currently have a marathon (which is held once every few months), with shorter, faster paced games. This was held there.

Anyway, feedback there was the same, both have trade-offs.

I think I could simply have the game end when 2 players remain, but one has focussed and the other not.

Also - can a focus be held? As in [focus -> dodge -> shoot] with the shot being priority?

No. If you don't shoot, you'll have lost the opportunity. You need to focus again for next round if you want focus.

Oh and next time, gets those customisations in if you can think of any!

And again, thanks for playing people. I'm glad you had fun! I enjoyed modding it.

Oh and final thing! Damn, thanks people, you don't know how much I appreciate you using the exact format for sending in PMs! On mafiascum, they didn't, so I had to check PM bodies.. This went even more smoothly then there, you are so well-behaved! :D Entering actions was smooth.

I think it's brilliant that you've thought about applying your code to this kind of activity.

Perhaps @Shorty would be in favour of installing a game-related plug-in to the forums if such a thing were to be developed?

(And not to rain on your parade but I've not checked to see if something already exists to facilitate mafia games. I'd be surprised if vbulletin didn't have anything for mafia-specific games)

And for convenience (if you want dat meta):

Round 1 has started.

Still standing:

MoogleViper

Rummy

DuD

Cube

Jonnas

Marcamillian

Results:

DuD is just standing there like an idiot..

Jonnas is focussing.

Cube dodges.

Rummy dodges.

Marcamillian is focussing.

MoogleViper is focussing.

Freshly added to the pile of bodies (i.e. you're dead):

None.

Round 2 has started.

Still standing:

MoogleViper

Rummy

DuD

Cube

Jonnas

Marcamillian

Results:

Marcamillian shoots DuD with the golden gun. DuD drops dead on the floor.

MoogleViper shoots Jonnas with the golden gun. Jonnas drops dead on the floor.

Jonnas laments being dead. FOCUS

DuD laments being dead.

Rummy shoots Marcamillian. Marcamillian drops dead on the floor.

Cube shoots the warm corpse of Marcamillian, for good measure.

DuD

Jonnas

Marcamillian

Round 3 has started.

Still standing:

MoogleViper

Rummy

Cube

Results:

MoogleViper shoots Rummy, but the attack fails.

Rummy dodges.

Cube shoots Rummy, but the attack fails.

None.

Round 4 has started.

Still standing:

MoogleViper

Rummy

Cube

Results:

MoogleViper shoots Rummy. Rummy drops dead on the floor.

Rummy laments being dead.

Cube is focussing.

Rummy

Round 5 has started.

Still standing:

MoogleViper

Cube

Results:

Cube shoots MoogleViper with the golden gun. MoogleViper drops dead on the floor.

MoogleViper laments being dead.

MoogleViper

Congratulations Cube! A winner is you!

Bodycount per player:

MoogleViper - 2 victims

Rummy - 1 victim

Cube - 1 victim

Marcamillian - 1 victim

And for those interested in the game on mafiascum (without write-ups):

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=62423&start=25

Perhaps Shorty would be in favour of installing a game-related plug-in to the forums if such a thing were to be developed?

(And not to rain on your parade but I've not checked to see if something already exists to facilitate mafia games. I'd be surprised if vbulletin didn't have anything for mafia-specific games)

It's a shame we don't have an admin who takes parts in these games who could look into it.

(although I would totally need to work with the others as I have no idea what modifications they may have made).

I think it's brilliant that you've thought about applying your code to this kind of activity.

Perhaps @Shorty would be in favour of installing a game-related plug-in to the forums if such a thing were to be developed?

I doubt it to be honest, otherwise mafiascum would be the first to implement such a thing. Though I don't know which forum software they use. But they only have some custom tags like [vote]player[/vote], which highlight the votes, but they're not counted automatically, and I don't see the massive advantage over using vote: player (though there is some script by someone else who counts the vote tags, but I don't know how well it works, plus I only want to use my own stuff ;)).

I was actually working on HRHR2 mafia, but as a dedicated website. I wanted to keep it a surprise, but seeing the current state of mafia games here.. Plus I never finished it. I was pretty far along, but decided I wanted some things to be implemented better, but then I'm better off starting from scratch. Which I did, but I have no idea when you'll get to see a result.

You haven't seen HRHR 1, but is had very simple mechanics, so it was a good game to start with. Features were automatic vote counts, quick votes by clicking buttons, automatic write-ups, plenty of stats I could keep track of, oh hey, and achievements. Basically, when I had finished it, and players signed up, I'd only have to start the game, and sit back and relax. I'll finish it, eventually.

I suppose another problem is the amount of custom roles people have in games, as well as people not using the exact wording, would make it even more difficult to implement.

I'd assume that assigning [] tags would be relatively straightforward in general but I'm not a coder so I literally have no idea how vbulletin works, which means it's easy for me to sit here and hypothesise about dream mechanics for mafia-based games.

I'd personally love to have a bunch of game-mechanic forum tools to play with. There could be all sorts of games devised from that kind of thing!

Sign in to follow this