NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Pokemon on Home Consoles

Different Pokemon, different location, different vague storyline but overall you're playing the same game over and over no? That's why you hear so many people burning out at certain gens and giving up, there's just not enough difference between installments.

Go play Red/Blue and then play Black/White and tell me how they're so similar!

Different Pokemon, different location, different vague storyline but overall you're playing the same game over and over no? That's why you hear so many people burning out at certain gens and giving up, there's just not enough difference between installments.

I hate the main Pokémon games, but even I have to agree that there's enough difference between the generations.

No. Absolutely not.

They're as much the same as Mario games are to their predecessors, Zelda games etc. They follow similar archetypes and are of the same genre, but they are different.

I hate the main Pokémon games, but even I have to agree that there's enough difference between the generations.

I dont know, its not a uncommon argument. Obviously I'm not saying its exactly the same but I certainly stopped playing the series because I felt like I was playing the same games over and over again.

Justification for leaving portable:

A bigger, more open world(s), real-time weather, real seasons, ALL pokemon, first person photography of wild pokemon, more NPC's, meeting other players in the game world (I.e. not having to go to a separate section.).

Not one mention of graphical fidelity!

Btw of all the hundreds of hours of pokemon I've played, they've all been in my living room, next to my TV...

Justification for leaving portable:

A bigger, more open world(s), real-time weather, real seasons, ALL pokemon, first person photography of wild pokemon, more NPC's, meeting other players in the game world (I.e. not having to go to a separate section.).

Not one mention of graphical fidelity!

Btw of all the hundreds of hours of pokemon I've played, they've all been in my living room, next to my TV...

All of which is possible on handhelds, though...

Yes, but Game Freak would never make a Vita Pokémon game :p

Yes, but Game Freak would never make a Vita Pokémon game :p

Course not, they want it to sell :p

Just gonna point out that Black/White had seasons. It actually affected some of the paths you could take.

A cave even changed completely in Winter.

Seasons have been done. It's one of the many reasons 5th gen is my favourite. (Along with good story, fantastic Pokemon designs and the absolutely glorious Pokemon World Tournament mode. Oh! And the music is amazing! Makes the content in 6th gen and ORAS look like a complete joke!)

Possible yes, but I will mention two things. One is graphical fidelity, because while it doesn't make a game (Shit The Order 1886 is beautiful for all its faults) it's a nice thing to have. Just a happy bonus.

The second is storage size. The more features added the more capacity is needed. And power can allow certain things to become more sophisticated. (Weather for instance).

Ok so here's my pitch for a new home console Pokemon game. They go full on reboot and make it a sexy anime style game with lots of cleavage and blood during the fights. The fate of the universe is at stake and you have to either battle or seduce your way past all the other Pokemon trainers, gather up all the badges so you can fight the "Elite Ones". A group of bikini wearing Pokemon masters who hold the power to stop "The Hand of Poke-God" from un-making the universe.

Ideas for a 3D Pokémon? I say, get the Monster Hunter team working on the spin-off. We already have the Tekken team working on a fighting game (a pipe dream I had for so many years), so anything's possible.

A 3D game would be fundamentally different from the 2D games, though, so I think something like what Ranger did (basically, try to manage multiple attacks while the wild Pokémon is trying to get away) could easily work in the sort of environment people tend to envision when they ask for a main console Pokémon.

And by the way, this is what Serebii means when he says the console game would have to be different. He's not discounting the possibility of it existing, he's actually saying the gameplay needs to be fundamentally different from how the 2D games do things. And I agree, the random battle aspect alone would have to be rethought from the ground up (see: Marcamillian's post).

I dont know, its not a uncommon argument. Obviously I'm not saying its exactly the same but I certainly stopped playing the series because I felt like I was playing the same games over and over again.

One of the most common comments I see about Pokémon is that there was one generation that put someone off for one reason or the other (the 3rd cutting off the previous games, the 4th one being too slow, the 5th one also being on the DS, etc.), but another generation brought them back in (the 4th one brought back those who had been turned off by the 3rd, etc). I know I initially disliked the 3rd one because it was so different from the previous ones.

One of the most common comments I see about Pokémon is that there was one generation that put someone off for one reason or the other (the 3rd cutting off the previous games, the 4th one being too slow, the 5th one also being on the DS, etc.), but another generation brought them back in (the 4th one brought back those who had been turned off by the 3rd, etc). I know I initially disliked the 3rd one because it was so different from the previous ones.

I've only managed to complete two Pokemon games, Blue and Sapphire. I played all of the others apart from X & Y and the latest remakes but just got bored everytime. Its funny though, despite my complaints that it feels the same everytime, my whole reason for buying the other games was trying to recapture the enjoyment I originally had with Blue and then again with Sapphire.

Not meaning to stir anything - just to mention - @Serebii - the portable aspects may not be a deal for everyone. If you consider the number of games sold vs. the people showing up to events/meetups - there are plenty of people that play it as a single player experience or at least don't see it as such a core feature.

Also - the 3DS does have online but not all the time where it is being played - which would make it hard to build key features (like an mmo type experience) into a handheld game.

In this vein - how about users being able to set up their own gyms? Custom made badges. Taking on apprentices/lackies for your gym. Instead of grinding on wild pokemon you can train in the gym and go up the ladder - becoming the preceding trainers to the leader

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Not meaning to stir anything - just to mention - @Serebii - the portable aspects may not be a deal for everyone. If you consider the number of games sold vs. the people showing up to events/meetups - there are plenty of people that play it as a single player experience or at least don't see it as such a core feature.

Also - the 3DS does have online but not all the time where it is being played - which would make it hard to build key features (like an mmo type experience) into a handheld game.

In this vein - how about users being able to set up their own gyms? Custom made badges. Taking on apprentices/lackies for your gym. Instead of grinding on wild pokemon you can train in the gym and go up the ladder - becoming the preceding trainers to the leader

Even away from events, though, portable is a key thing that should not be ignored. While a few people may not see it as a core feature, others do including the developers.

Also, I personally would hate for it to go the MMO style route. It's un-necessary and would clog up the game.

Here's an image from a fan made Pokémon MMO

jpg

Internet people are the worst and ruin it by doing things like that, blocking entrances etc.

Go play Red/Blue and then play Black/White and tell me how they're so similar!

I guess what @Ronnie may be thinking of is the structure of the games, which are pretty similar. ie starting out in little crappy town, choosing a fire, water, grass starter, inevitably facing the Elite 4, maybe traverse a cave full of Zubats, catch a legendary or two...

Whilst I am content with this model - there is surely room to expand or shake up the system, and this can be done for the home consoles.

So in this respect, its not about one replacing the other, its about having choice. Just like the current trend of creating two of the same games on 3DS and Wii U.

I guess what @Ronnie may be thinking of is the structure of the games, which are pretty similar. ie starting out in little crappy town, choosing a fire, water, grass starter, inevitably facing the Elite 4, maybe traverse a cave full of Zubats, catch a legendary or two...

Whilst I am content with this model - there is surely room to expand or shake up the system, and this can be done for the home consoles.

This! Why can't we start with a bug type, or flying? Why do we have to put crappy TMs on our Pokémon to be able to move around? Again my point of never meeting a difficult opponent until the elite four, this makes no sense in the 'real' world. Only carrying 6 Pokeballs.

I know this could be done on hand helds, but it isn't, maybe the jump to console is the change needed to make the break from the mould!

This! Why can't we start with a bug type, or flying? Why do we have to put crappy TMs on our Pokémon to be able to move around? Again my point of never meeting a difficult opponent until the elite four, this makes no sense in the 'real' world. Only carrying 6 Pokeballs.

I know this could be done on hand helds, but it isn't, maybe the jump to console is the change needed to make the break from the mould!

The 6 Pokémon stuff is for balance. The game would be ridiculous if you carried all your Pokémon with you.

The 6 Pokémon stuff is for balance. The game would be ridiculous if you carried all your Pokémon with you.

That I can kind of understand, for battling. What about if I wanted just to adventure?

And what about my other points?

To be honest I would like the series to have a reboot, it's SM64 or OoT moment.

Rehashing the same game from the mid 90s is becoming stale, in my opinion.

That I can kind of understand, for battling. What about if I wanted just to adventure?

And what about my other points?

Balance again for starters, though they are back to experimenting with secondary types.

For HMs, they've cut back on that drastically, though ORAS has them more than BW/B2W2/XY due to it being a remake.

As for tough trainers, I agree to an extent, however the game's adventure pre-E4 is more about endurance than beating toughest trainers.

Even away from events, though, portable is a key thing that should not be ignored. While a few people may not see it as a core feature, others do including the developers.

Also, I personally would hate for it to go the MMO style route. It's un-necessary and would clog up the game.

Here's an image from a fan made Pokémon MMO

jpg

Internet people are the worst and ruin it by doing things like that, blocking entrances etc.

In all honesty you are likely right - I just wonder if your closeness to the competitive scene maybe affects your reading of the general situation/proportion of those that play it essentially single player.

I admit there would be issues to iron out - in that specific case making other players non-blocking - but many others more serious too but can you see no redeeming quality to an over world populated with players?

I feel the main issue I've had with the last few gens of handheld games is that I haven't been watching the anime to put the Pokemon into context. For example, with the Kanto/Johto era, I'd be playing the games and watching the show so when new Pokemon turned up, I knew a little bit more about them and that information and imagination could transfer over into the games. I'd know that an Oddish would be wandering around the woods, all small and timid or that you might find a Slowpoke chilling out on a beach in the sunshine. When I grew tired of watching the show, I had no real way of placing the next gen's of Pokemon outside of the limited information the Pokedex would give us or based of the basic 2D/3D sprites. It always surprises me how I can go back and play G/S and it feels much more like a full and living world even compared to X/Y.

Sorry if that makes no sense, it feels a little rambling. Basically I'm saying that a console version would have the power to make the world feel like Pokemon are real by giving them some depth.

Imagine walking outside and seeing a flock of Spearow flying overhead and deciding to run after them. They're heading towards the woods and once you catch up with them you see they're attacking a Caterpie. You now have to decide if you want to defend the Caterpie, maybe fighting away the Spearow would make it feel attached to you and even if not, it would be already weakened making it easier to catch.

Imagine using a weather pokedex app that tells you tomorrows forcast. Maybe if it's windy there is more chance of seeing Hoppip floating past in the breeze, or if it rains then there is a better chance of Poliwag's playing in the nearby lake. Maybe there can always be areas with a more fixed climate but come the winter months, I'd expect grass pokemon to become much rarer while water/ice ones would become more frequent.

Yes, totally agree. The home console version should all be about the living, interactive world of Pokemon. Running across a huge open grassy plaing as wind blows flower petals/pollen far and wide, flock of spearows flying by as sunflora frolic across the meadow...

Pokemon should be HARDER to catch in the game, but have boostable catch rates by interactivity on the openworld as you see them, like maybe feeding a Rhydom some berries to friendship it, or defending Pikatchu from a flock of spearow! Basically like the idea I already put...but the stuff you can do should be soooooooo vast you don't get bored.

Like the anime, you'd get missions to go help people on the field, like helping a farmer herd his Miltanks, raid a Team Rocket hidden base to rescue someone's Mon, locate a runaway Pokemon.

One thing about this though is; you'd have to confine it to one huuuuge region with maybe only a quarter of the mon. It'd be an awesome game, but be clear and different from the latest handheld version. Start off with it maybe being Pokemon Yellow, trusty Pikachu by your side, handy Pokedex acting as a Snap camera. Sequel be third person Pokemon Crystal.

The games are 3D already. It can be done on a handheld. It's not a justification for jumping to home console. Graphics do not make a game and don't justify the removal of a key aspect of the series. Having a "handheld app" for that is a bit ridiculous in concept. It's adding more steps to the entire thing and separates the game into two. It wouldn't work as well as just being handheld.

If Pokémon is to be on a home console with a main game, there HAS to be something that justifies it and "oh look, pretty graphics" is not a valid one.

INTERACTIVITY. It's a good enough reason. More adventure than RPG. A literal living and breathing Pokemon world. Giant open world areas where Pokemon physically show up. Intricate day/night/weather/swarm system. Shake trees, climb trees, dig for diglets... Go on quests to help others. Loads of dfferent real world ways to befriend/capture Pokemon. The overall feel of walking/flying/swimming through such a Pokemon world would be a Mario 64 style rebirth to the series. Add a picture function and it becomes a new Snap, too. Just add the varying ideas together seen in this topic. It's not just a "graphic upgrade", it's a whole change to the feel, the pure adventure of Pokemon. No one's saying get rid of the usual, but the potential is huge, and if we DO get Fusion or some sort of crossbuy/play for the game and DON'T see something like this next gen there'll be a LOT of dissappointed people. (With Fusion or crossplay, all the usual Pokemon multiplayer etc. could be kept because of the portability, as well as expanding the "adventure world" mechanics due to massive power boost).

Edited by Mr_Master_X2
Automerged Doublepost

@Serebii, when people say "3D", they don't simply mean 2D Pokémon in 3D. They mean an actual living world where the Pokémon roam. So they're actual wildlife and don't "appear" as you're walking through long grass.

@Serebii, when people say "3D", they don't simply mean 2D Pokémon in 3D. They mean an actual living world where the Pokémon roam. So they're actual wildlife and don't "appear" as you're walking through long grass.

Then that'd be a spin-off and I'm all for that :)