NEurope
Cube

Smartwatches

Well, I joined the Smartwatch ranks today, with my LG G Watch:

T1DeujR.jpg

I changed the standard rubber strap to a metal band. I'm liking it a lot so far, although the usage for the device is just starting. More and more apps will make use of it over time.

The notifications on your wrist is pretty great. You can see quickly if it's worth looking at (some you can look on your watch - and even act on it or respond, while some you can open on your phone from your watch if you need to). It's very responsive.

Voice commands is something I'm not personally keen on but, with how technology is progressing, it seems something that will become more and more common. So I may as well try and get used to it now.

The search seems pretty good so far. It's best at things related to films and TV shows as it has special cards, like this:

L8jM7e8.jpg

If Google can discover the answer to your question itself, it will display it clearly. If it can't, it will display Google searches that you can open on your phone, however what I've tried so far hasn't required me to do this as the answer was in the summary text picked up by Google.

Apps can also be made especially for the watch. I've tried a simple calculator and a very simple Twitter app (mainly for Tweeting via voice). Some normal apps can also have a Wear component. I had a dating app installed (even though it hasn't proven to be useful so far), and was both impressed and amused that it has support for Android Wear:

gUgDSdn.jpg

I'll likely have more thoughts as I use it more.

I'd be interested to hear your general thoughts on smart watches over time, i like the concept but i'm not convinced i could justify the cost some of them are at, and considering i'm an ipone user, Apple's own version will obviously be ridiculously over priced.

your first impressions seem promising though

I made a thread about smart watches a year or so ago and my stance hasn't changed. Unless they look classy and professional I'm out.

I think they are slowing getting there but they still don't look like something I would want to wear on my wrist during the day at work or when out and about.

Very interested in seeing what Apple are undoubtedly going to announce over the next few months.

Really really really can't see the point of them at the moment. It just seems like a phone/tablet with a patheticly small screen that can only function properly in quiet areas so it can hear your voice properly, which will then affect certain things ie won't have the balls to say what you really think/feel when making a vocal Tweet in case someone hears you making it.

Got mine yesterday as well. Seemed a bit bulky at first but wearing it today it seemed fine.

I think Google Now makes more sense on the smartwatch, it's a lot faster to access than on the phone, but your kinda limited to what you can do.

I haven't messed around with it too much but it feels really limited at the moment. I really wish you could delete emails from the watch but you can only archive them.

Trying to use navigate just opened it on my phone, does it not give directions on the watch?

It feels like a good concept but needs some work and fleshing out.

Had a fairly major problem where my phone battery dropped from full to 50% overnight last night and the phone was pretty much dead by 5PM and this was most likely due to having Google Now. Really hoping this won't be a common thing as it's going to completely put me off.

I have imported one from the UK because it's not yet available in my country.

Even then almost everything works like it was available.

The only thing missing is my national language, but I don't have much problems using the watch in English.

I only have a problem with the English language when I need to take a note about or navigate to a location that is not in the UK or Australia.

"navigate to eindhoven" is what I say; "navigate to aid heaven" is what I get for example.

Now you've had it for a while are you sick of your wrist vibrating yet? Genuine question.