NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fused King

#14 - N-Europe: Let's Talk Games (Metroid Fusion)

In line with the recent WiiU GBA releases, let us discuss the final Metroid game in the timeline:

609197-metroid_fusion_box.jpg

Truly one of the most creepy Metroid games out there.

It got me thinking that it would be nice to see a bit more horror added to the Metroid series.

vcw-metroidfusion.jpg

Price: GB £6.29, EU €6.99

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Nintendo R&D1

Released: 2003

System: GameBoy Advance

The legendary Super Metroid will always be remembered as the 'fan favourite' that players enjoyed the most and quite rightly so because it is in many ways the game that put Metroid on the map so it's almost ironic that the iconic Samus Aran was almost 'forgotten' about as it took a good console generation for her to return; thankfully the GameBoy Advance was released which graced us with 'Metroid 4' or as it's more commonly known 'Metroid Fusion' but little did we know just how brilliant it would be, it would seem that the return of this well-loved series was most definitely worth the wait.

Set after Super Metroid we see Samus return to planet SR388 – home world of the Metroid – alongside a research team but it isn't long before disaster strikes as she is infected by the 'X-parasite' which causes her to fall unconscious during the return flight home; her ship crashes and she wakes up in critical condition at the Galactic Federation who manage to create a vaccine from Metroid DNA which saves Samus but it transpires that her power suit is damaged beyond repair. This is where you acquire the Fusion Suit which while being rather weak – not to mention a rather striking blue colour – allows Samus to absorb X-parasites which proves useful as she sets off to the 'Biologic Space Labs Research Station' to investigate an explosion which has occurred there and the place is overrun by the troublesome creatures so it's just as well to have a defence mechanism against them.

Docking your stop-gap ship – which is a rather striking purple – at the station this is where you take control under the guidance of the ships computer – based on Adam Malkovitch – as you explore your surrounding area while blasting any 'X' as you go, doing this will release the parasite from the creature it infected allowing you to absorb it as either energy or ammunition which proves a rather useful mechanic throughout your mission and is used to particularly great effect upon defeating bosses which will grant you a significant upgrade ranging from anything like the simple Screw Attack to the deadly Diffusion Missiles which pack more than a punch. It's well noted that while Fusion is undeniably more of a linear affair than Super Metroid it's actually here from where it draws strength because you always know roughly where to go which spurs you on and while it may feel like having a computer giving you intel somewhat breaks that feeling of isolation, it's kept in check by the tension which is created by the SA-X which is an X-parasite copy of Samus in her original Chozo designed, fully powered-up battle armour which stalks you throughout the game making for some incredibly tense moments especially being that you're too underpowered to take on the creation until near the end of the game.

MetroidFusionImage.jpg

In the visual department Fusion truly excels featuring graphics eerily reminiscent of the great Super Metroid except even more detailed thanks to the GBA hardware which allows for some impressive effects indeed including an excellent representation of space just outside the ship along with some subtle lighting which really helps bring the six sprawling areas to life the most spectacular section being a replica of of SR388 which has to be seen to be believed. Naturally the audio complements the action perfectly featuring accompanying pieces both old and new along with a diverse range of moods conveyed brilliantly managing to masterfully build then disperse feelings of tension as required which only adds to the already deeply engaging experience.

A simply amazing title which goes some way to proving that length isn't everything in a game because while Metroid Fusion is significantly shorter than previous entries it most certainly captures every single positive aspect within the series, presenting itself in such a spectacular way which will utterly absorb you from start to finish. To put it another way this is one of the finest Metroid titles to date so quite honestly if you haven't played it yet then I really don't know what you're waiting for, especially considering that you can now play on the big screen with SNES style controls at your fingertips. So please I urge you to enjoy what could easily be considered as Samus Aran's finest hour in recent years, who knows when we might again witness the brilliance of another painstakingly crafted 2D Metroid title, at least this is another chance to spend some quality time with the finest intergalactic bounty hunter ever to grace our screens be they large or small; Ms Samus Aran we salute you.

Verdict : The most masterful Metroid title since the 16-bit era.

This game got a really bad rap when it first came out for the decision to re-focus the gameplay to a more linear fashion of play and that it true to some extent (not that that's necessarily a bad thing mind you); but there is also still a lot of non-linear progression throughout the game. Fusion does a great job of guiding you through the early sections of the game and then building tension and fear when it then rips the handholding away from you. Suddenly you find yourself alone and longing for the guidance you once had when something on the station goes wrong and you are forced to stray from the map that is given to you upon entering a new sector, especially when the SAX starts roaming throughout the area too :)

Despite the fact that you aren't alone this time around, it still does a great job of making you feel isolated and fearful as everything on the station seemingly actively works to try and impede your progress or kill you. In many ways it almost feels like a survival horror game!

I love this game and I feel that it actually does benefit from the linear focus. The narrative was also really well done and actually foreshadows Metroid Other M in some surprising ways that only become clear after going back to it once I played through MoM (one scene in particular actually takes on an entirely different perspective, where the computer actually questions why Samus would ever have feelings for a man that "would sit in a safe command room and order you to die" and Adam regrets the choices he made in MoM).

And like all Metroid games, the core gameplay is spot on. In particular it greatly streamlines the controls from Super Metroid and actually manages to improve upon them, despite having 2 less buttons to work with. My only real disappointment I ever really had with the gameplay was the lack of items/abilities that you aqquire throughout that were new to the series (the only really new one being the diffusion missiles and that one was kinda lame anyway...)

Metroid Fusion is an amusing one.

It lacks the utter isolation or the open world of other Metroids, but it retains the ability to convey an atmosphere. So what if you have somebody else contacting you? Other than that radio, you're still alone, and you can easily see that this was, indeed, a functioning space station before the X-Virus arrived.

The X is an intriguing concept in itself. Absorbing DNA from other lifeforms, allowing the game to have a diverse enemy list, some made-up hybrids (hello there, Mer-Pirate), and still make every one of them part of the same terrifying enemy. Everything you see is part of a larger brain.

And making Samus part-Metroid was a good move. Suddenly, there's an actual reason as to why the enemies drop power-ups, why she is the only one who can stop them... and then they turn this strength into a weakness with the SA-X's Ice Beam. Good writing, and simple enough to convey. Really helps to get into the game's world.

Speaking of which, the SA-X is genius. A monster who is unstoppable because she's just like you. Some of the tensest moments I've played through, and all because there's another you, capable of reaching the places you can. No cutscene announcing her entrance, just her.

As for gameplay aspects, the game is incredibly polished. Really tight controls, the usual Metroid exploration mechanics we're used to... And awesome bosses. Nightmare, in particular, is utterly terrifying, and one of the most memorable bosses in the series.

The linearity of the game hurts it somewhat, I think. It means that, unlike in Super Metroid, there aren't subtleties in design that hint you along the right path, and there isn't that feeling of agency that made SM so special.

9/10

Still, smashing game. I'm surprised we haven't seen more responses to it, though that might be because we talked about the series so much recently. Any words, @ReZourceman?

Actually played this game for the first time last month while doing a review of the Virtual Console for a friend's site.

I found it was rather good. While it is linear, sure, it's great fun and has me wanting a new 2D Metroid. It's definitely a good game that everyone should play.

I've actually replayed it just for this thread!

Metroid Fusion was my 3rd Metroid game - after loving Zero Mission, I wanted more. Back then it was still possible to buy the GBA cartridge, and so I did so without hesitation. I was intrigued by Samus Aran's blue suit, and how different this game looked to the other GBA title. Without wishing to apply rose-tinted glasses to this era, it was a time when Nintendo knew exactly how to make their games fresh but familiar - Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine - just the right amount of difference, whilst still keeping the core appeal of each franchise.

Metroid 4 is more story-driven than previous games in the series. In fact, I don't say this lightly, but it is arguably Nintendo's best-ever achievement with in-game storytelling. From the moment Samus sets foot of the space station, the player becomes totally involved in the situation. Throughout the game, Samus and the villainous SA-X's exploration of the construct never fails to drive the plot - dangerous specimens, rogue experiments, security robots - it always feels relevant to the gameplay. What's particularly impressive is the way the story is told - a distant noise here and there, a shadow streaking across the screen, the scenes where Samus is forced to hide from the SA-X - it's an absolute masterclass in in-game storytelling.

The focus on storytelling does come at a price, however, which leads me to Metroid Fusion's infamous linearity. Although I think the linearity is somewhat exaggerated - after all, you are constantly having to find hidden routes - it's true that the game has a rigid structure, which manifests in a combination of guidance and restriction. Whilst I welcome the guidance, the restriction causes more of an issue. Doors are frequently being locked behind Samus, which is frustrating if you wanted to explore an area different to the one the game is telling you, or even if you just want to go back to the one you were just in. This can be especially frustrating if you find yourself at one of the more difficult boss fights or SA-X encounters and wish you had found more Energy Tanks. It's not true to say there aren't moments when you can explore as much as you like, but you do rather have to know the game's structure somewhat.

The one negative aside, Metroid 4 is about as close to perfection as you can fit on a GBA cartridge. It plays like a dream from the beginning - accessible and easy to play, but not actually an easy game. The sound effects are my personal favourites from the series - I often fire off Samus's arsenal just to hear them! And the graphics are superb - I must admit, I never noticed how rich the replica of SR388 was until @Dcubed mentioned it, but it is like something out of the SNES's heyday.

There aren't many games that I like enough to play more than twice, but Metroid Fusion fits the bill. I've played it a couple of times on the GBA, a couple of times on the 3DS, and will also get it for the Wii U. Metroid 4 is beginning to sit alongside games like Super Mario World and Sonic the Hedgehog, which are as familiar to me as an old friend. It's not just a great Metroid game, but one of the very best 2D games ever created.

9.5 - Masterpiece

Sign in to follow this