NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Pokemon Link: Battle

You realise, with lack of 3D, it's because the game is primarily controlled via the touch screen. As such, having the top screen be 3D and require you to look between them quickly would result in eye strain

You and Gentleben are actually the first and only people I have seen who think poorly of this game. I've seen loads enjoy it, many find it difficult as the game progresses etc.

Edited by Serebii

You realise, with lack of 3D, it's because the game is primarily controlled via the touch screen. As such, having the top screen be 3D and require you to look between them quickly would result in eye strain

You and Gentleben are actually the first and only people I have seen who think poorly of this game. I've seen loads enjoy it, many find it difficult as the game progresses etc.

I get it, doesn't mean they couldn't find their moments. Do you not think the menus, the map and such look really cheap?

I find it staggering how anyone can not think this game is truly appalling. But, shows how different everyone is I guess!

I get it, doesn't mean they couldn't find their moments. Do you not think the menus, the map and such look really cheap?

I find it staggering how anyone can not think this game is truly appalling. But, shows how different everyone is I guess!

There are zero moments that logically have 3D fit. Not every game should use it. This game is one that predominantly takes place on the bottom screen, so it's not logical.

How far through did you get? From what I've seen, people started to see serious challenge around Zone 7

There are zero moments that logically have 3D fit. Not every game should use it. This game is one that predominantly takes place on the bottom screen, so it's not logical.

How far through did you get? From what I've seen, people started to see serious challenge around Zone 7

That's exactly where I am funnily enough. It's not just the challenge, they can put the scores needed so high it's very difficult to get, it's the complete lack of a puzzle element, it's all about speed and the same thing, just dragging pokemon constantly. Obviously all puzzle games have one simple mechanic, but you have to think about how to execute it every single time; this you're just dragging pokemon about.

That's exactly where I am funnily enough. It's not just the challenge, they can put the scores needed so high it's very difficult to get, it's the complete lack of a puzzle element, it's all about speed and the same thing, just dragging pokemon constantly. Obviously all puzzle games have one simple mechanic, but you have to think about how to execute it every single time; this you're just dragging pokemon about.

You do realise that time and speed is a core part of puzzle games. The challenge is to keep the combo going, which gets increasingly difficult

Edited by Serebii

You do realise that time and speed is a core part of puzzle games. The challenge is to keep the combo going, which gets increasingly difficult

Yeah, but time, speed and an actual puzzle to solve is a part of puzzle games. There is no puzzle to solve in this. When I play Dr mario, I have to link and find where I need to place the pills, and think about how when they fall what combos can be created. Same with columns, tetris, bejewelled, puzzle quest, pokemon puzzle league etc etc This misses that completely.

Yeah, but time, speed and an actual puzzle to solve is a part of puzzle games. There is no puzzle to solve in this. When I play Dr mario, I have to link and find where I need to place the pills, and think about how when they fall what combos can be created. Same with columns, tetris, bejewelled, puzzle quest, pokemon puzzle league etc etc This misses that completely.

And here, you have to think about what Pokémon to start a combo with, the placement of all Pokémon to make the combos you want, you have to shift Pokémon to the Dittos towards the end of the Link Chance to clear the box.

It's disingenuous to say it runs itself or that there is no challenge or strategy.

It's just a different type of challenge to the one you expected. A different kind of Match 3.

And here, you have to think about what Pokémon to start a combo with, the placement of all Pokémon to make the combos you want, you have to shift Pokémon to the Dittos towards the end of the Link Chance to clear the box.

It's disingenuous to say it runs itself or that there is no challenge or strategy.

It's just a different type of challenge to the one you expected. A different kind of Match 3.

I never said it plays itself. And you don't have to think about the placement of pokemon for combos as you can still do it after, you get a small window to move the pokemon, so you don't have to think about it. And thinking about which pokemon to start with... that's pretty much it... That's pretty awful really. Fair enough you enjoy it, my brain can't comprehend it, but good on you :) But I'm not exaggerating when I say it is probably the worst game I ever played.

Just because a puzzle game requires less in the ways of actual thinking, and focuses more on reaction time and eye-hand coordination, doesn't really make it any less a good game.

Well, maybe it does to you, but as Serebii said it's just a different kind of challenge. A challenge I, for one, enjoy tremendously.

Which is quite surprising, given that I absolutely loathed the original Pokémon Link. Though looking back, that might have been mostly because of the terrible story and even worse human character design, both or which are luckily absent in this game.

Also, this game is really getting challenging now... Just made it to Zone 8, and some of the S-ranks so far have been positively rage-inducing. (I've been extremely close to unleashing my rage several times, though I've managed to keep my cool for now... I'm worried I'll go full Hugh-mode soon, though.)

Edited by FireMeowth

Just because a puzzle game requires less in the ways of actual thinking, and focuses more on reaction time and eye-hand coordination, doesn't really make it any less a good game.

Well, maybe it does to you, but as Serebii said it's just a different kind of challenge. A challenge I, for one, enjoy tremendously.

Which is quite surprising, given that I absolutely loathed the original Pokémon Link. Though looking back, that might have been mostly because of the terrible story and even worse human character design, both or which are luckily absent in this game.

Also, this game is really getting challenging now... Just made it to Zone 8, and some of the S-ranks so far have been positively rage-inducing. (I've been extremely close to unleashing my rage several times, though I've managed to keep my cool for now... I'm worried I'll go full Hugh-mode soon, though.)

Some levels unlock when you flawlessly capture a legendary Pokémon meaning you need to guarantee a combo of 40+ with a powerful super effective hit, which isn't easy. More if you go without super effective

The rage. I initially thought my game had glitched.

Enjoying it so far (Zone 3, went back to get better ranks). Have since realised there is Rank S and got pissed. One level I went so far passed what you need to get A Rank and well got A Rank...which begs the question WTF you need for S Rank!!

Well, if there's one thing this game has achieved, it is making sure I'll never buy another game of its kind again. Unless I get an urge to commit suicide in the most painful way ever, that is.

I'm so close to finishing it (one stage left), but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to... The rage has most certainly gotten the better of me. I just hope my 3DS hasn't taken as much damage from this game as I have...

EDIT:

zlCfzRtVfMEcpJynrl

I DID IIIIIT!

Got all 72 S-Ranks, too, of course. 100% completion, baby!

Edited by FireMeowth

This game is on a special offer from Thursday for a week.

£4.49/€4.99

I'd say it's definitely worth it for that price, if you haven't jumped in already.

What a coincidence - I just fully 100%'d the game last week. :)

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

That StreetPass crown... Diabolical! :shakehead

But yeah, great game, so I'd definitely recommend it to anyone interested now that it's going on sale. Even if it is incredibly infuriating at times...

Worst game I have ever played. It's almost not even a game, and definitely not a puzzle game

I was considering buying this today and thought I'd just skim through this thread to see what people think and...

This was not the reaction I was expecting :P Is it really as bad as you're making out? I mean, I was tempted because I generally love puzzle games, and especially liked Pokémon Puzzle League, mix that with the discount price and I nearly just got it without checking any reviews or even this thread.

Not so sure now. If it stays sunny it means I'll have an afternoon chilling in the garden so I might just get it for that anyway.

I was considering buying this today and thought I'd just skim through this thread to see what people think and...

This was not the reaction I was expecting :P Is it really as bad as you're making out? I mean, I was tempted because I generally love puzzle games, and especially liked Pokémon Puzzle League, mix that with the discount price and I nearly just got it without checking any reviews or even this thread.

Not so sure now. If it stays sunny it means I'll have an afternoon chilling in the garden so I might just get it for that anyway.

dazzybee is just being grumpy. It's not that bad. It's a decent mindless puzzle game.

The price cut doesn't take effect til Thursday, though...

Oh damn, certainly won't be paying full price for it :P In that case, it's sadly off the cards for now! Not off again until Sunday and I feel as though that will be a curtains drawn, Monster Hunter marathon of a day.

Haha, it's not a puzzle game. At best it's a a reflex game, how quickly can you line up icons. I love Puzzle League too, and match 3 puzzlers in general... this isn't one of them. I wish it was. I genuinely think it's one of the worst games I've ever played. No hyperbole, no exaggeration. It's almost not a game, I continued playing it, baffled by the thing...

Haha, it's not a puzzle game. At best it's a a reflex game, how quickly can you line up icons. I love Puzzle League too, and match 3 puzzlers in general... this isn't one of them. I wish it was. I genuinely think it's one of the worst games I've ever played. No hyperbole, no exaggeration. It's almost not a game, I continued playing it, baffled by the thing...

Aren't most puzzles like that? Tetris, for example.

Aren't most puzzles like that? Tetris, for example.

Erm.... no! Not at all! Because in Tetris you have to find the gaps and think about where you place everything. This game is just dragging the pokemon wherever you want them to be, no thinking, and being quick with other ones to keep a chain going. I can't express how preposterous I find this game!

Erm.... no! Not at all! Because in Tetris you have to find the gaps and think about where you place everything. This game is just dragging the pokemon wherever you want them to be, no thinking, and being quick with other ones to keep a chain going. I can't express how preposterous I find this game!

You need to think about it...You need to think about where to put the Pokémon, which to start a chain with, how to continue the chain etc.

You need to think about it...You need to think about where to put the Pokémon, which to start a chain with, how to continue the chain etc.

Barely. In all puzzle games you have to work within a framework it gives you, there's a puzzle to solve with every move. In this you're just dragging Pokemon around with no limitation whatsoever (except when you have monsters in the grid), it's like it's made for 2 year olds it's that basic.

I've been playing this on and off again for the past week due to picking it up in the sale ( more of this please, Nintendo ) and it's not a bad little game. While I don't think it's amazing I certainly don't share dazzybees hatred for the game.

It feels like a massive reaction test to see if you can spot a Pokemon really fast and put it in the right place. It gets annoying when you are essentially just looking for colours and then the game gives you a couple of pokemon that look the same at first glance.

I wouldn't say the game is challenging at all. I'm coasting my way through it in normal play. I've read things get a little harder if you go for S ranks and unlocking all the Pokemon but I dunno if the gameplay will hold me long enough for me to do that.

Not bad and certainly worth the £4 I spent on it.

Sign in to follow this