N-Europe

Campus or distance learning - How do you feels?

EEVILMURRAY

To give myself better career shizzle I'm going to take a course in becoming a legal secretary. I like the law but I don't think I've got the patience, or indeed the memory to go all the way to passing the bar.

There's a course at the local college which does the course for £1500. Alternatively there's a distance based version from elsewhere which "may" cost £835, their website is shockingly bad at giving out information on this.

I tried a distance course a few years back and although I got the work done I did find myself always drifting back to shit like Facebook and here and etc. In a classroom I could be more focused and maybe get a bit adversarial (in my head) with the other classmates.

Anyone had experience in this?

If you go for DL really check out the place beforehand. At my last institution we offered DL programmes but I can tell you they were barely thought about or considered. In most cases its "let's just put the material online and call it distance learning", which isn't the same. Essentially its similar to learning by viewing youtube videos/reading tutorials.

I've no experience, but I would consider having a teacher there with you in a classroom to be worth the extra £600~, and I think they will probably put more effort into helping you if they know you as more than some guy on the end of a phone or email (assuming it would work something like that).

I believe that unless you are some sort of motivational wizard, distance learning is a waste of time. BY the sounds of it, that is not you. Most of the time, it's just like Ashley said, you're just learning by yourself with no-one to guide you at all. I have no idea if the other course is worth £1500, but i can guarantee the distance course is a rip off. :/