NEurope
Serebii

Pokémon on Wii U?

It does seem like they're hinting it being some sort of fighter...

The two Pokemon on display are both Fighting Pokemon and it does have a fighting TCG symbol in the background...

The only thing that puts me off the idea of it being a fighting game is the question of why? Why put THAT at the end of a Pokemon retrospective trailer? Just seems weird to tease a spinoff at the end of a trailer like that...

[quote name=Aneres11;1599

I really couldn't be less interested in a 'proper' Pokemon on Wii U. For me' date=' that is not what the series is about and it doesn't need to be moved to the big screen.[/quote]

I still don't understand this point of view? What is Pokémon about? If not a game to play? How does playing it on a smaller device benefit it?

It's supposedly meant for the joy of trading and battling on the go, but then again, I imagine many more people looking back and forth from computer screen to DS screen on what level does this Pokemon evolve? How does this pokemon evolve? Where can I find this Pokemon?

What are your hopes?

I have none. I've never cared for Pokemon. I can't slag it, it's been a money beast for Nintendo over the years but I just don't care for it.

I still don't understand this point of view? What is Pokémon about? If not a game to play? How does playing it on a smaller device benefit it?

Well, for a start the game is about pocket monsters. They go with you anywhere. Having the main series on a handheld that you can take anywhere with you gives a similar feeling to what the tv show is all about. It's part of the Pokemon experience - or at least that's what I loved way back in the day.

Furthermore, the game works best as a handheld title (my opinion) because it encourages battles and trades with your friends which Nintendo have always tried to make as seamless as possible. Link cable, wireless adaptors in FR / LG etc. Now with the handhelds having online and IR / wireless tech, it makes the process a little smoother.

Whilst I understand that it would be pretty sweet to do this all online from the comfort of your own home, it kinda kills a little bit of what the franchise is about for me. Let us not forget this game is still targeted towards young kids. Yes, older people like us still love it, but I know for a fact I would not have an online connection with my Wii U if I was 7 years old and I think that'd be the same for many other kids wanting to play Pokemon.

Therefore I think a main series game would possibly alienate the core consumer of the game(s) as it would strip away what it's traditionally about.

I'm not saying that a fully fledged home console Pokemon would be a bad thing - but the only people who seem to want it are those who have grown up playing the original games and their follow ups and now think the game is 'tired' or 'needs updating'. Well, I disagree. And you can bet your mortgage that the kid who gets to play their first Pokemon game with X/Y will be having the time of their lives as they gets lost on a big adventure that they can take with them wherever they want!

Maybe I'm too nostalgic about it, but this game series should always be on a handheld device. That's a Nintendo one - not a smartphone. Just my opinion anyway! :heh:

Edited by Aneres11

Fuck this "it should only be on a handheld" bullshit. Times change.

"Football shouldn't have technology. It gives us nothing to talk about in the pub, plus too many interruptions."

"No online gameplay, let's just all have splitscreen, it's better with friends near us."

"There's no point adding touchscreen controls, because we already have buttons."

"Metroid is fine in 2D."

"Nobody can do the joker better than Jack Nicholson, so why bother?"

Times change and things need to evolve. Yes, there is a social element with handheld pokemon, but there's also a social element involved with online gaming. There's a massive community out there with gamers who play online. Dare I say it, more people play online nowadays than they do splitscreen.

For the sake of evolving, Pokemon also needs to change. Otherwise, all we'll be doing is adding more Pokemon and keeping everything else the same. Having it's own separate entity on the home console would allow those traditionalists who do want things the same to still have the handheld adventures, but it also gives us, the other gamers out there, the opportunity to play the game on a home console.

It won't happen, because it's too much of an obvious idea for Nintendo to do it. Want to know of another "too obvious" title? Mario fucking Tennis on the Wii. Maybe Nintendo just loves missing opportunities?

Nah, that's a next-gen Pokemon game. The Wii U doesn't have that many graphics.

Oh you :p

Fuck this "it should only be on a handheld" bullshit. Times change.

"Football shouldn't have technology. It gives us nothing to talk about in the pub, plus too many interruptions."

"No online gameplay, let's just all have splitscreen, it's better with friends near us."

"There's no point adding touchscreen controls, because we already have buttons."

"Metroid is fine in 2D."

"Nobody can do the joker better than Jack Nicholson, so why bother?"

Times change and things need to evolve. Yes, there is a social element with handheld pokemon, but there's also a social element involved with online gaming. There's a massive community out there with gamers who play online. Dare I say it, more people play online nowadays than they do splitscreen.

For the sake of evolving, Pokemon also needs to change. Otherwise, all we'll be doing is adding more Pokemon and keeping everything else the same. Having it's own separate entity on the home console would allow those traditionalists who do want things the same to still have the handheld adventures, but it also gives us, the other gamers out there, the opportunity to play the game on a home console.

It won't happen, because it's too much of an obvious idea for Nintendo to do it. Want to know of another "too obvious" title? Mario fucking Tennis on the Wii. Maybe Nintendo just loves missing opportunities?

It's not a "times change" thing. It's a fact that the majority of players are kids and you just have to walk around Japan on a non school day and you will see kids with their 3DSs playing Pokémon with eachother, especially if you go towards an event. GameFreak will not risk cutting out this huge market. You say people play online, yes they do...that's great, but it's doable on the handheld without cutting out that market

Look at it this way. A home console game is a much larger financial investment. It will potentially yield much lower sales due to the cutting of the core market. It's just illogical for them to do it, and that's how they see it. I'd love it to happen, but it won't.

But I digress

Edited by Serebii

I still say the technology is there (as it is with the Vita) to play on a home console and then transfer it over to a handheld. Best of both worlds. It won't happen though, obviously.

Pokémon came out when I was 17. I didn't play it until I was ~27. (Only played Saphire and Diamond).

In that time I have no friends with DS's, let alone who plays pokémon, I drive to work and back, and I have a a family (no going to go to a Pokémon convention to do that sort of thing!). I really enjoyed my foray into Pokémon but have never traded or fought anyone due to my personal circumstances. The concept is alien to me.

So a fully on-line FULL Pokémon RPG would be perfect! Give me the opportunity to play the game 'properly'!

Pokémon came out when I was 17. I didn't play it until I was ~27. (Only played Saphire and Diamond).

In that time I have no friends with DS's, let alone who plays pokémon, I drive to work and back, and I have a a family (no going to go to a Pokémon convention to do that sort of thing!). I really enjoyed my foray into Pokémon but have never traded or fought anyone due to my personal circumstances. The concept is alien to me.

So a fully on-line FULL Pokémon RPG would be perfect! Give me the opportunity to play the game 'properly'!

The games are fully online. X & Y even moreso :) You can communicate and battle/trade with your friends at any time you're not in battle.

The games are fully online. X & Y even moreso :) You can communicate and battle/trade with your friends at any time you're not in battle.

That's great... but then I don't have a 3DS (or a DS anymore), either!

The question is, apart for better graphics (and a huge development cost), what would a home console pokemon would bring that a handled one don't?

That's great... but then I don't have a 3DS (or a DS anymore), either!

Now you have a reason to get a 3DS :p

The question is, apart for better graphics (and a huge development cost), what would a home console pokemon would bring that a handled one don't?

"Better graphics" is all I'd want.

However, a full HD, proper, fully 3D, fully-fledged Pokemon game would be so much more awesome/so awesome that I think its unfair calling it just "Better graphics" in this instance, as its a jump from a not-very-graphically-capable handheld, to a very capable HD machine - or failing that, the Wii U.

*Chortle*

"Better graphics" is all I'd want.

However, a full HD, proper, fully 3D, fully-fledged Pokemon game would be so much more awesome/so awesome that I think its unfair calling it just "Better graphics" in this instance, as its a jump from a not-very-graphically-capable handheld, to a very capable HD machine - or failing that, the Wii U.

*Chortle*

Well the game is fully 3D now :p

I personally really dislike the art style of X and Y. It's nice that they're trying to push it, but I hope they don't rely on this style for future games.

Look at the creepy guy in the second picture's head. Even by anime proportions, it's huge.

And the trees and the grass...plus what's with the circle or actual grass? Either make the grass 3D or not, but having just one aspect looks silly. I think this is a hangover from older games to help provide some kind of highlighting of the Pokemon, but if you're trying to go for a more realistic look ditch it.

I guess that wasn't the point here, but seeing those screens reminded me. Maybe a more on topic point would be "let's hope they try something else on Wii U"

Edited by Ashley

I personally really dislike the art style of X and Y. It's nice that they're trying to push it, but I hope they don't rely on this style for future games.

Look at the creepy guy in the second picture's head. Even by anime proportions, it's huge.

And the trees and the grass...plus what's with the circle or actual grass? Either make the grass 3D or not, but having just one aspect looks silly. I think this is a hangover from older games to help provide some kind of highlighting of the Pokemon, but if you're trying to go for a more realistic look ditch it.

I guess that wasn't the point here, but seeing those screens reminded me. Maybe a more on topic point would be "let's hope they try something else on Wii U"

They do ditch it in battles in special places

YJmOKuX.jpg

As for the grass and trees. When the game is in motion, you don't notice it

You can't walk around on any axis.

Nor can you in various other 3D games. This has 8 directional movement. So what? Super Mario 3D Land had 16 directional movement. Do you claim that's not a 3D game?

I kind of like the artstyle from what I've seen, but I must say that certain areas still look a little bland and empty.

Still, it usually is a lot different when you actually play the game on your 3DS.

That's why I never really judge games by their screenshots.