NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

Two things I'm going to drag up again.

i) lol, #Solpeno.

ii) Do people seriously think Andros Townsend is ahead of Theo Walcott for the England squad?

Townsend: Apps 14, Goals 1, Assists 3

Walcott: Apps 12, Goals 4, Assists 4

Theo's been injured and a bit crap this season and still pushing better numbers.

That's all we can go back to slagging refs now.

Geordies you gave us one hell of a battle today. Fair play to you. Ref was utter shit for both sides. How Tiote avoided a booking I do not know.

Yeah it was a decent game, interesting tactical battle going on. Felt we deserved a draw but I don't begrudge Arsenal the win - although by the end of the match I'd really rather it wasn't Giroud scoring the goal. :heh:

The ref was just plain weird. I suppose he wanted to 'let the game flow' but there's a limit.

Back into 8th now. Hopefully we can take encouragement and get back to winning ways against west brom on new years day.

So. I'm a bit into football more. Good innit.

I loved Boxing Day with all the matches, and similarly I am looking forward to tomorrow, will probably put on a goal channel. Put a few accies on and with fantasy football makes it a bit more exciting.

We were 2-0 down against Spurs. We started out with Smalling at right back, then put Valenica there. We're playing Rooney in midfield, with Kagawa on the wing.

Whatever happened to putting players in their proper positions?

2-1 now. Come the fuck onnn.

Aaaaand we're back to square one.

Both goals were the fault of the right backs Smalling and Valencia. Why the fuck we didn't sort out cover there in the summer I'll never know. Such an obvious weakness.

On the whole, I don't think we played that badly. Two mistakes cost us 3 points and we played much better today than we did against Norwich and we won that game.

However...our build up play is so frustrating to watch. Here's how it works:

- Somehow get the ball in midfield, whether it's by the defenders playing it out, the opposition over-hitting a pass or by the opposition keeper giving it away from a goal kick.

- Play the ball backwards and keep it there for 5 seconds longer than necessary.

- Move the ball to the touchline and then let somebody else have a go at doing the exact same thing.

- Move the ball forward in the centre. Then, shift it out wide to either Valencia or to Evra, who has covered the entire left flank by himself for the past 4 or so seasons.

- Cross the ball. If the ball gets into the box, well done, the opposition can now head it away. If the ball doesn't make it, aw well, one of these is bound to make it sooner or later.

- Give the ball to Valencia. Even when he's at right back. If it's a good day, the ball may make it in. If not, then at least the area around Earth's atmosphere will be clear of debris as a result of his misfire.

I don't really know what we were trying to do at the end of that game. The shape was an utter mess and we played so many long balls. We left it too late to up the tempo and I just can't get over the fact that we're not playing players in the right positions. In general, the tactics haven't been working, Januzaj has been one of our best players and he is barely old enough to shave. We've lost ANOTHER game at home. The annoying thing is that nothing will be done about this, Valencia will still probably play the next game or so (the smart money is Moyes will leave him out for the next one and then wait for everyone to forget (they won't) before putting him back in).

Wouldn't put any money on us signing a single decent player in January. I can imagine we'll just go forth and plan for next season, maybe a youngster or two.

140101064013716024.gif

SIGH.

Sigh for the stupidity or the decision? Hopefully the former, clear red that.

I wince every time I see that gif. Terrible attempt at a tackle.

One of those that could so easily go horribly wrong.

Does anybody have any spare paper? I spotted a crack that needs covering again. ;)

One of those that could so easily go horribly wrong.

He's pretty much baseball sliding. Or jumping. So much pace and power behind that tackle/jump. If he catches the player, I dread to see what that ankle would look like.

It's mind blowing that you still see so many bad tackles, even when players have been carded for it and so much has been said about it/publicity and so on. The same with diving really, that doesn't seem to be getting better at all.

On another note, really disappointed to see Welbeck and Januzaj diving again today. Both played really well, but the diving is pure bullshit.

Does anybody have any spare paper? I spotted a crack that needs covering again. ;)

Would that be your mouth, again? ;)

Edited by Fierce_LiNk
Automerged Doublepost

On another note, really disappointed to see Welbeck and Januzaj diving again today. Both played really well, but the diving is pure bullshit.

Definitely think both affected Webb's decision not to give the blantant foul on Young.

It's equally infuriating when commentators clearly bottle calling it a dive. As if being honest and integral is not part of their job.

Would that be your mouth, again? ;)

Crack-a-doodle doo!!! No!!! ;)

goodmorning-rooster-crowing.jpg?w=322&h=299

Definitely think both affected Webb's decision not to give the blantant foul on Young.

It's equally infuriating when commentators clearly bottle calling it a dive. As if being honest and integral is not part of their job.

Hmm, I'm in two minds about Young's foul. It looks like it should be a penalty, but I can sorta get why the ref didn't give it. In his own mind, it must look like Young has taken a shot on or something. It probably should have been given, but then you would have all the "penalties at Old Trafford" "Young diving to get a penalty" crap to contend with.

I hate the phrase "he feels a touch, so he goes down" or "he's entitled to go down". It's really disappointing when you hear ex-players talking about things like that, too. A dive is a dive. Obviously you'd have to take into account the size of a player plus variables such as the speed they're running at, changing direction, etc (it's harder to knock over Vidic or Lukaku than it is to knock down Lennon or Januzaj), but...a dive is a dive. It's bullshit really.

"There's contact" is my nemesis. Contact =/= foul. Second worst is when there is no contact and they just brush it aside "he's gone down easy" or "he's looking for it there".

There's a commentator on BT Sport who does the Skrill games, a player dived and he just went "that's a dive". I almost fell off my seat.

"There's contact" is my nemesis. Contact =/= foul. Second worst is when there is no contact and they just brush it aside "he's gone down easy" or "he's looking for it there".

There's a commentator on BT Sport who does the Skrill games, a player dived and he just went "that's a dive". I almost fell off my seat.

Haha, "he's looking for it" is crap, as well. The only thing they should be looking for is the fucking net. Or, in our case, a winger out wide since that's all we do when we have the ball in the middle. :heh:

I didn't even know that Man Utd lost until now, they started to grind out a good run of wins as of late too.

Need to check out MOTD tonight.

Apparently Oscar should have been booked for a dive. I hope he doesn't do that anymore.

He was booked, tried to win a penalty, he got the ball round the keeper so don't know why he didn't stay on his feet and score.

Apparently Oscar should have been booked for a dive. I hope he doesn't do that anymore.

I didn't see the incident myself but I was watching Sky Sports News when it happened and I think it was Paul Merson watching the game who said he should have been substituted straight away, rounds the keeper, open goal at his mercy and he does this. Is this the same Oscar who should have been red carded for his two footed lunge on Lucas? I'm sorry, I forgot, it's not in his nature.

I didn't see the incident myself but I was watching Sky Sports News when it happened and I think it was Paul Merson watching the game who said he should have been substituted straight away, rounds the keeper, open goal at his mercy and he does this. Is this the same Oscar who should have been red carded for his two footed lunge on Lucas? I'm sorry, I forgot, it's not in his nature.

It probably was a red, but that's totally different to diving.

Another intelligent comment from the all knowing Wii.

Yes rightly booked but he was involved in all 3 goals...why would you sub him?

Sigh for the stupidity or the decision? Hopefully the former, clear red that.

Hah sigh for the stupidity. One of the more blatant red cards you'll see. He was in such great form as well, poor start to 2014 for the lads :sad:

my views on the Oscar & Young incidents.

Oscar's was bizarre because he was clean through on goal, he could have just gone past the keeper and scored. Fair play to the ref, in real time it looked a blatant penalty, if for no other reason than he just did not need to go over. I can only assume that he thought the keeper was going to take him out and was already on his way down, when the keeper pulled out of the challenge. Also fair to play to Mourinho for supporting the ref's decision.

I think the Ashley Young incident was never a penalty. He had already played the ball when he got caught so it had no impact on the attack. The Welbeck one was more of a penalty for me.

People want red cards and penalties for everything these days. A penalty is as good as a goal and in my humble opinion the punishment has to fit the crime in that you need to have prevented a goal scoring opportunity to give away a penalty.