NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo 3DS Direct - 14/02/13 - 3pm CET / 2pm GMT

I'm torn about this ND. On one hand, the unveil of M&L4 (which follows the patent leak to an absolutely creepy level!) Mario Golf 3DS and the not too distant release dates for FEA, ACNL and PKMN GTI is very welcome, but the unfortunate reveal of DKCR 3DS (REALLY!? THAT'S WHAT YOU'VE HAD RETRO WORK ON ALL THIS TIME!? WHAT A FRICKING WASTE! :( ) and the continued whoring out of Mario leaves me feeling sour over the whole thing :(

So much for them not wanting to turn the 3DS into a Mario machine, and did we really need even more NSMB!? (granted, it's probably a result of the "Mario Cram School" off hours thing, but it's still far too early for even more NSMB. I'm not excited for it at all)

I really hope that Retro just put a small team on this project. Granted, I did always think that the game fit the 3DS like a glove (literally I kept saying to myself that they should've made it for 3DS when I was playing it - it was mainly inspired by VB Wario Land after all!), but I think it's such a terrible waste of Retro's talents :(

Retro are working on a AAA Wii U game. If this is by them it's merely a small project, they still have an unannounced title left :)

Retro are working on a AAA Wii U game. If this is by them it's merely a small project, they still have an unannounced title left :)

Yep Reggie confirmed in an interview last year that Retro are working on something big for the Wii U and that it'll be unveiled at E3 and not before, so we don't need to get our knickers in a twist... yet.

Mario+Luigi4 was the best thing for me. Hope it makes up for the hollowed-out shell of a game that was Sticker Star!

Luigi's Mansion is looking phenomenally good.

If Animal Crossing really gets a release date FINALLY I'm going to do a backflip of joy.

It's backflip time ahahah!

I'm so happy! The lineup seems really neat for the rest of the coming months, one great title releasing each month! Can't wait to get my hands on Luigi's mansion 2 and Fire emblem awakening! :D

Also M&L: dream team looked AMAZING, so glad it's still sprite based!

Don't really care for Donkey Kong Country: Returns 3D though, it was a great game, but I still remember it too well to buy it again.

If you all keep hyping yourself up over this unannounced Retro Wii U game I think you're going to be disappointed.

Metroid is my favourite game series, so there being a tiny chance of a new one of course has me a little excited BUT there was a lot of staff departures at Retro. There's a good chance that Retro as it is now isn't anything like the Retro which brought us Metroid Prime.

And don't get me started on the lack of a proper 2D Metroid game :D

Really glad we got a date for Animal Crossing. Also glad that the EU release dates is so close to US. Means we will all be playing it at the same time. Interested in both Donkey Kong and Mario and Luigi going forward and also Mario Golf possibily, loved the Gamecube version.

Although I didn't get to watch this yesterday, it sounds like it was a good show. When I came in yesterday I thought the news was pleasing, but unexciting. Now I've seen the videos though it seems like it would have been good to watch at the time.

The reality is that Nintendo has an excellent line-up of 3DS games for this year, which needed release dates. It's boring but necessary! Luigi's Mansion 2 in particular looks incredibly good - the next really big 3DS game. And is it right that Etrian Odyssey IV was confirmed for Europe? Excellent news! Code of Princess on its way too.

I'm not quite so keen on the new games that were announced. I know they've got their fans, but to me they feel like the sort of games Nintendo releases when they've finished making "big" games for a system. I hope I'm wrong about that. To be quite frank I sense a lack of ambition about them, and this on a system that still doesn't have a Metroid or (original) Zelda...

But hey, it was only a Nintendo Direct in February after all. Going forward, I hope to see some better games announced for 3DS, but we do still have GDC and E3 to go. One concern though: We've seen them making Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Luigi's Mansion 2 for years. If that's how long it takes them (and we haven't seen anything newer yet - not huge games, anyway), where are the big Q4 2013 and 2014 games going to come from? In the meantime, I think this year's 3DS titles are good enough to carry the machine.

If we're gonna see Mario Wii U at E3, then we'll probably get a glimpse of Zelda 3DS (along with Wind Waker). And then Zelda Wii U at next years E3 and maybe a sequel to 3D Land?

Going forward, I hope to see some better games announced for 3DS, but we do still have GDC and E3 to go.

The last time I checked, the only thing Nintendo are doing at GDC is the talk on Wii U and Unity/HTML5 Application stuff - Iwata isn't doing a keynote this time which is what normally leads to announcements so I think you can write GDC off now for major reveals.