N-Europe

New 'SPAG' test for KS2 Children

Emma

Got everything right except question 6. The meaning of an article escaped me.

I was pretty pleased I could remember about adverbs, but to do this I thought back not to my time in primary school, but to this video...

Which in fairness I think I may have originally watched when I was that age, but you get my gist.

1 – Me, Me, I

2 – Coat, now

3 – The sign warned that deer might be crossing

4 - excitedly, heavy, briefly

5 – comma

6 – Eating an apple can keep you healthy

7 – clause, phrase, clause, phrase

8 – no idea

9 – Mis, in, im

10 – The sun shone while Luke was walking to school. As he passed Ben’s house, he was thinking about the weekend and their trip.

According to the answers, i scored 4/10.

Best of luck kids.

Went through those questions growing increasingly smug as I delivered a devastating number of correct answers.

I quickly came crashing down when I remembered the test was intended for children.

Edited by Guy
IRONICALLY FOR SPELLING AND GRAMMAR

I wrote a lengthy reply to this thread, but something happened and it disappeared.

In short

@Ashley : Didn't notice. Maybe it was my subconscious which picked those questions.

@jayseven: Because we level children's writing often, you get a picture of what is a level 3b, 3c etc. We have moderation meetings once a term where a group of teachers will independently level a piece of writing, just to make sure we're on the same page.

The SPAG test will eventually make it easier to pass, as the teaching isn't as complex. Just loads of boring worksheets. However, I feel sorry for the year group who are taking it in May as they haven't had 5+ years of practice. I know that the children in my school can be taught to pass the test, but they won't actually implement any of the grammar in speech.

Edited by Emma