NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

The remake of Resident Evil 3 is still selling massive amounts of copies. The same with the second remake, which I am not particularly fussy about either. 

I think that game is terrible. If Capcom were intending to make a mockery of the original game, then they certainly succeeded. :p

The remake of Resident Evil 3 is still selling massive amounts of copies. The same with the second remake, which I am not particularly fussy about either. 
I think that game is terrible. If Capcom were intending to make a mockery of the original game, then they certainly succeeded.
They're mocking it by making a really good game that goes on to sell millions. What a way to mock it!

The remake is awful, though. It doesn't look nor play like the original game. There's clipping issues, a linear gameplay style, and no real exploration of the city, despite what Capcom said. 

Like, I think you just go to a toy store and a doughnut shop. In the original, you went to so many more places. And they were actually places you could walk inside. They weren't just scenery.

This is great. Goes to show just how big the likes of the Spectrum and Commodore were back in the day. 

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

We finally now know the digital sales figures for every first party Sony release! (as of June 2023)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/revenue-and-downloads-for-every-sony-first-party-game-ever-released-on-the-psn-580-titles-as-of-june-2023.855270/

Man, those PS1 Classics downloads made mad bank, crazy how Sony has chosen to neglect such an easy money farm...

Edited by Dcubed

The Switch 2 is really needed to give the industry a boost. 

• Sad 1

S-E are finally shifting to a multiplatform strategy.

Diversify earnings opportunities by strengthening customer contact points
- Shift to a multiplatform strategy
For HD titles, the Group will aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs. Especially, in regards to major franchises and AAA titles including catalog titles, it will build an environment where more customers can enjoy our titles.
In addition, it will also devise a platform strategy for SD titles that includes not only iOS and Android, but also the possibility of PC launches. Furthermore, the Group will strive to maximize the acquisition of new users when launching a title and that of recurring users after starting management of game operation.

- Building continuous customer contact points of our titles by stepping up digital sales The Group will strengthen user flow of digital sales of new titles at the time of launch regarding the initiatives of promotion. In addition, it will generate the opportunity of generating revenue in our rich catalog titles' line-up, which leads to strengthen its earnings base by expanding sales of catalog titles. Moreover, the Group will engage in initiatives which focus on the acquisition of PC users.
- Create the interaction with customers by increasing sophistication of publishing function The Group will pursue integrated sales & marketing operations in Japan and make efficiency of publishing by consolidating the marketing functions that were previously spread across creative business units, expanding shared knowledge, and eliminating duplicate functions. Also, it creates a new reporting line in order to enhance collaboration between sales and marketing functions. It will also address the increasing sophistication of marketing by leveraging first-party data, including through the utilization of CRM solutions and data analytics, when developing an ad campaign for HD and SD titles.
- Generating the opportunity of new revenue by offering IP across a range of entertainment experiences The Group will pursue a cross-media strategy capable of approaching new markets. Specifically, it will expand area of license business by establishing a new department focusing on IP business development at global markets. In addition, it will build an organization which makes more active use of
its IP by offering it across all media formats. The Group also hopes to generate synergies by integrating the organizations affiliated with its Merchandising segment.

It's about time. I said in the Rebirth thread that the game would have done far better if it had been on the Switch. Granted, the Switch couldn't run the game but Nintendo's next console sounds like it's going to be around a PS4/PS4 Pro level, meaning more 3rd party games and less exclusive deals. Given the cost of development, publishers are going to want every game they have on every device they can in order to recoup the costs.

I wouldn't be surprised if S-E port over the likes of FFXV, Kingdom Hearts and FFVII: Remake to Nintendo's new device.

Rebirth's lukewarm sales seem to have finally got it in S-E's head that "Hey, maybe exclusivity deals will be unprofitable in the long run?"

Now we just need to convince not to cop out on Nintendo consoles by lumping them with cloud versions of games the console can easily handle.

(Yes, I'm still salty about that Kingdom Hearts collection)

The KH collection is such a baffling decision. The Switch could easily have run them. The fact that they got a PS3 version but no Switch version is just bizarre. I imagine they would have sold stupidly well.