NEurope
Daft

Pacific Rim

I liked the action parts but my god were the characters dull, then again, I'm guessing an array of deep characters wasn't really going to be in a 'giant robots vs giant enemy monsters' film, so for what it is, it's a good film. Some of the fight scenes were really good actually.

But my god, even for a film that's all about the action, I just couldn't believe how DULL every character was. When his brother died at the start I literally could not give a shit. In fact, if they all died at the end and the monsters took over I wouldn't care.

Don't even get me started on the brief love story. My god, I don't think I've ever seen a couple as forced as this in my entire life. I was actually hoping Raleigh wouldn't breathe again at the end, but I fucking knew he would.

Raleigh was probably what ruined the film for me the most. I just didn't like him at all. It's like he had no personality other than his big meaty head and pretty much everything he said just seemed so lifeless and shit. At times I felt like I was watching Taylor Lautner.

The only part of the film where I actually felt for the characters (and felt genuine emotion) was in the flashbacks. And actually, considering how dull the characters were for the rest of the film, I couldn't believe how much this bit got to me. I felt so sorry for that poor little girl, I started to well up a little bit :p

But yeah, for me the fights and action were great but it had the worst characters I've watched in years.

I think you could call him a non-character. Grey to the core. You don't automatically sympathise with someone because they've witnessed the death of their sibling, you have to care about that person in the first place, or at least make them human. That death had no impact because no time was invested into their relationship, it was all wrapped up within 5 minutes.

It makes you appreciate what Pixar achieved in Up even more.

Stupid, and I totally get what Dwarf is saying about the strange delivery of dialogue (love Idris Elba, but his "You shut up, you talk!" sounds as if when it was written down, it was intended to be delivered totally differently.

Anyway yeah it was pretty ridiculous etc, but quite enjoyable. Nicely directed.

I did like the movie but i got the feeling they wrote all the action sequences then tried to fit a plot and character dialogue around it, some bits were as Dwarf said forece and felt odd because of it

but still i did like the movie a whole lot