NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U Nintendo Direct 7/Nov

Any links to the new SMBU footage?

Hang on, I haven't see anything but got udates on twitter and theough dakota.

Friend codes are dead?!! Dakota told me it's still a number but called Nintendo ID; EVERYWHERE else tells me we have a name. What do we actually get? What do I type in to add a friend, a username or a massve number?!?!

No accomplishments and no game invite voice chat instant messaging mentioned. HUGELY DISAPPOINTING.

Video chat and drawing is nice, saving screenshots is nice.

Is that it? Anything else I've missed? Seems a little underwhelming but like I say I haven't had much info. Is miiverse clear as day now? Is it still a glorified advert for games with a built in message board?! Can you have filters for JUSTFRIENDS on them. Can you access a games miiverse when it's not in etc. Scrap that question that's obviously yes!!

Are Wii U and 3DS nintendo IDs joined?!

When I get home I'll watch the videos. But from what I've been told I'm pretty disappinted and wouldn't mind some good news and positivity :)

The number bit gets from a mistranslation of the Japanese word for ID. It's a username. Wii U and 3DS aren't joined yet.

Also, we know already that accomplishments exist in games, but it's the developer's choice. We know there's some in Mario and NintendoLand

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

When I get home I'll watch the videos. But from what I've been told I'm pretty disappinted and wouldn't mind some good news and positivity :)

You must be the only one who is. I've been following the discussion on NeoGaf all day and the impressions of both the Miiverse and NSMBU seem overwhelmingly positive.

I watch the presentation and thought it looked amazing! I'll be re-watching the subbed versions this evening!

Full break down:

20:00 The presentation has begun. Miiverse is shown with launch title icons surrounded by Miis.

20:01 Iwata against a plain background. WaraWara Plaza is what you see when you power on.

20:02 Game icons are surrounded by players talking about each game. Simulated by staff now.

20:03 You find out what other players are playing at powerup. GamePad has Channel-like UI.

20:04 Last ND was a bit long, so this will be a bit shorter.

20:05 WiiU Premium Set unboxing now! 4.2 kilograms, a bit heavier than the Wii package. White gloves look a bit like Mario.

20:07 Two shelves. First, the system itself and the GamePad in adjacent compartment. Second shelf: system AC adapter, GamePad adapter, instruction manual, Dragon Quest X beta voucher.

20:08 Vertical stand, only in Premium Set. HDMI cable standard. GamePad charging stand. GamePad play stand just for playing, not charging.

20:10 First, you must create a Wii U user account. Multiple users w/ Miis per system, up to 12. Game settings, save data tied to user accounts. Browser bookmarks, play history as well.

20:12 Video chat, other networking services require Nintendo Network ID. Register with a password, your birthdate, gender, area of residence, and e-mail address. Your Nintendo Network ID can be used to exchange contact information in the same way as Friend Codes. eShop purchases are managed by Nintendo Network IDs, and can be played by other users on same system. Nintendo Network to be usable on other Nintendo game systems, PCs, smartphones. Your Nintendo Network ID can be tied to your ID on 3rd-party network services.

20:13 Internet Browser, Miiverse, eShop require a network update. WiiWare and VC software transfer to be explained on the website at a later date.

20:16 In-game feature video now. NSMBU has off-screen play. Suspend w/ home, access browser.

20:18 On-screen keyboard, cellphone layout, stylus written input. Change to TV mid-game. Browse other videos on the GamePad while streaming one to the TV.

20:19 Earned a silver medal in NSMBU, ask Miiverse community for help getting a gold. Post game screenshots to the Miiverse community. Read response comments with advice.

20:20 You can follow other players you see in the Miiverse boards and register them as friends.

20:21 There's a setting to automatically hide spoiler comments.

20:22 All Wii U games can make use of Miiverse without any additional work from developers.

20:23 In certain games, leave situation-specific comments and read others' thoughts there.

20:24 Miyamoto's drawing is shown as one of the situation-specific comments in Luigi's Mansion.

20:25 Meet many other players from around the world through Miiverse as the Wii U is launched.

20:27 Iwata is now video chatting with Reggie in his NOA office. Reggie is introducing himself in Japanese. He worked very hard to learn just a little bit.

20:28 You can draw on the GamePad and share the scribblings overlaid on the video feed. Video chat with registered friends is called Wii U Chat. Has off-screen play. You can take video calls while playing a game: the rim light on the home button will let you know that there's an incoming call.

20:29 XING and Nintendo co-developed karaoke software Nintendo-JoySound Wii Karaoke U.

20:30 Over 90,000 songs, purchase tickets for certain lengths of time during which to use.

20:32 Business-level quality at home. User settings. Regular karaoke videos, Mii performances.

20:33 Use the built-in mic or use the Wii U mic accessory. Bundle with Wii Karaoke U trial disc.

20:34 NSMBU is all-new on the Wii U. Developer explanation video following this presentation.

20:35 Many people still haven't heard of the Wii U, but please tell them about it if you can.

20:36 Director Takemoto. Two planners. 1280x720 resolution in NSMBU.

20:37 Source lighting from fireballs, star lifts. Contiguous world map like SMW, unlike SMB3.

20:38 Forks in the road let you choose different worlds to move to. New characters. Wanted to include a flying feature, is easy to control for new players.

20:40 Flying squirrels called Zunguri (they look like acorns, or donguri).

20:41 Totten ("taking") steals from Toad. You have to chase him down to return the item to Toad.

20:42 Spit out balloons with Baby Yoshi, even while flying.

20:43 During off-screen play, use R button in place of Wiimote flips. Buddy play to add blocks.

20:44 Wanted to create fun, self-explanatory gameplay for buddy mode. Add staircases, reach stars.

20:45 Die a few times and you'll be asked to post your frustration on Miiverse for others.

20:46 With Mii Mode: Miis also appear in simultaneous multiplayer.

20:48 Boost Mode, Time Attack, Coin Battle Mode. Also: edit coin locations in stages w/ stylus.

20:49 Challenge Mode: set your own game rules and present them as challenges to others.

20:51 Play Buddy Mode with someone you trust not to screw up and strengthen your relationship.

20:51 GamePad holder must place platforms where Mario is going to land, reach goal in set time.

20:53 NSMBU has many new features incl. GamePad and Miiverse. Lots of modes to enjoy. The presentation is now over. Thanks for following!

There were some interesting bit but overall, we've learned nothing new. What stands out to me is

- Miiiverse is not realtime, updates every day.

- In game posting to Miiverse is clunky

Miiverse really would come into its own if they'd mandate in-game achievements/events. The empathy stuff is all well and good, but it'll fade quickly. I really don't want to be interrupting games to post how frustrated I am; automatically posting a "you've died five times" event and being asked to hit a smilie would be far less intrusive. Unless there is more to Miiverse, I can see it being turned off in-game.

I've watched all the videos, but did I miss them confirming Instant Messaging or game invites?

Edited by lostmario

You must be the only one who is. I've been following the discussion on NeoGaf all day and the impressions of both the Miiverse and NSMBU seem overwhelmingly positive.

I watch the presentation and thought it looked amazing! I'll be re-watching the subbed versions this evening!

Full break down:

Good. I'm sat, cup of tea in hand, ready to watch the shit out of everything.

I reckon it was just @David_dakota being a retard, he seemed to think it was pants and the ID was a number.

Looking forward to getting hard now :)

You can video call people while they're in-game. I'm not quite sure I see a separate, dedicated 'invite' feature being all that needed or parsimonious.

Good. I'm sat, cup of tea in hand, ready to watch the shit out of everything.

I reckon it was just @David_dakota being a retard, he seemed to think it was pants and the ID was a number.

Looking forward to getting hard now :)

Whats in your other hand?

I didn't think there was much new information. Sure, confirmation of the Nintendo ID is great - aside from translation issues, of course.

The walkthrough of Miiverse in NSMBU just looked clunky; I had expected it to be seamlessly integrated but it seemed to open the app, completely removing you from the game via multitasking. WaraWara Plaza not being realtime beggars belief; that would have made an incredible alternative to a Friend List.

Plus, no news on Game Invites is worrying.

However, some of Miiverse works well and the commitment to keep updating the service is great news too. The Direct was swings and roundabouts for me.

Iwata looked great in that suit though.

Edited by david.dakota

You can video call people while they're in-game. I'm not quite sure I see a separate, dedicated 'invite' feature being all that needed or parsimonious.

What if you want to send the same message to 3-4 people asking if they want to play a game for example COD at a certain time?

You have to video call each one individually? Probably waste 10-15 minutes doing that.

What if you don't want to video chat with them to organise a game?!

Also, game invites are good to seamlessly put them in the game. You still have to connect with each other some way in the game, not just agree to play (which is what video chat would do). If we're playing Fifa, we want to set up the rules of the game or set up a room to then INVITE people to.

Also, when it talks about the nintendo ID, it said what you have to give them, but it didn't say you have to CREATE your ID. I hope it doesn't GIVE you one based on the name of the mii you attach to the console.

but it didn't say you have to CREATE your ID.

They have literally said this.

"Our plan is to replace Friend Codes with a much more user-friendly Account ID system which employs user-created account names."

I quite enjoyed watching the unboxing video. It had a personal touch that you don't usually see with the other companies. Think every Wii U should come with a pair of white gloves!:laughing:

What if you want to send the same message to 3-4 people asking if they want to play a game for example COD at a certain time?

You have to video call each one individually? Probably waste 10-15 minutes doing that.

There's messaging via text through Miiverse and Wii U Chat

Are people intentionally missing what was said? I watched the thing live and it was in Japanese but I quickly picked up several things:

- You can video call people - if there's an incoming video call it alerts you and you can decide whether to take it.

- You can privately message people over the Miiverse.

- You can post what you're currently doing to the Miiverse which is displayed to all the people that follow you (like a Tweet).

Also, they were pretty damn clear: You set up a unique user name which is your account name and is tied to an email. You can then give yourself a display name different to that account name which is what you appear as to friends.

This (for total thickos) is like how an email address works. The actual email is completely unique, but when you receive an email from that person it displays as being received from their name, which may not be unique. So someone's unique username might be'johnsmith1984' but their display name simply is 'John'.

Are people intentionally missing what was said? I watched the thing live and it was in Japanese but I quickly picked up several things:

- You can video call people - if there's an incoming video call it alerts you and you can decide whether to take it.

- You can post what you're currently doing to the Miiverse which is displayed to all the people that follow you (like a Tweet).

Also, they were pretty damn clear: You set up a unique user name which is your account name and is tied to an email. You can then give yourself a display name different to that account name which is what you appear as to friends.

This (for total thickos) is like how an email address works. The actual email is completely unique, but when you receive an email from that person it displays as being received from their name, which may not be unique. So someone's unique username might be'johnsmith1984' but their display name simply is 'John'.

Been trying to explain this all day. I was also called an idiot by someone for saying the home screen and Waruwaru Plaza can switch between TV and GamePad at the touch of a button...it can but they were adamt that it couldn't

I must be the only person on here who couldn't care less about this miiverse bollocks and mii plaza thing. I'm just in it for the games, not to share with the world how I feel about them.

It's not the main attraction for me either, just a nice extra. I was pretty meh about 3DS features like streetpass and swapnote at first, but they've ended up being lots of fun. Anything that makes gaming seem less isolated and alienating is good in my book, but I don't see myself going to town with constant video calls, karaoke etc.

Yes, but Miiverse & the Wara Wara Plaza are here to 'enhance' your gaming experience. If you're not interested that's fine, but I can see a LOT of potential with this and many ways that devs can intuitively integrate Miiverse into their games.

Honestly I feel all giddy, it looks like a lot of fun.

The private messaging over miiverse is what isn't being picked up. And is there an INBOX to see these private messages?

So have accomplishments and game invites and people have NOTHING to complain about :)

From what i can gather than the Mii Plaza is a brief over view of popular games (or games Nintendo want a few more sales on ;) ) that people are talking about. But these comments are just general feelings about the game? Is that it? Are high scores and such posted here whether automatically or manually? Really hope the answer is yes and autimatically... (or likely game specific)

And then each game also had the full miiverse with EVERY comment on there (is this just friends?!) the full message board for each game.

It all sounds great; though it does feel like the plaza is a huge thing for very little; just a little over view of games with general comments. I would prefer it to be much more active than that. Unless I'm missing the detail. If it was filled with all your games that have updates - friends comments, new highscores, any DLC or updates for it etc. So it's really specific andhas more point than a random game titles, with random people on them saying bullshit like "AWESOME!!!!". One is very specific, personal and useful; the other is mildly amusing but ultimately pointless. If it's the latter it's bizarre it's taking up the MAIN FRONT END of the system.

Am I missing something?!

In fairness, the summaries I have read do not mention private messaging. But the rest was pretty clear. Little of this really seems relevant to a games console - the things that matter to a gamer just seem to be missing. Why no auto updating of achievements and scores, and have a constant emotion bar on the touchscreen. The pop up in NSMBU is just stupid, hopefully its just the way they've integrated Miiverse into NSMBU and I can turn it off. Game invites - missing (and while I am on the subject, why can't they make use of the calendar they've had in hardware since Nintendo 64DD and allow us to schedule games - grr) . Sod the video call - give us video-voicemail and let that HOME button flash when I receive an invite.

Miiverse seems less integrated than I would have liked, having to be transported out of the game to post some thought is pretty lame IMO. WaraWara Plaza is not in (near) realtime which makes it pretty pointless.

After the initial launch buzz I can't see the core games really making much use of Miiverse either. I still see promise in Miiverse but its not where it needs to be for launch. They do seem committed to improving the service so hopefully, we'll get some big improvements over time but games released before then are unlikely to be patched to make use of the new services.

In fairness, the summaries I have read do not mention private messaging. But the rest was pretty clear. Little of this really seems relevant to a games console - the things that matter to a gamer just seem to be missing. Why no auto updating of achievements and scores, and have a constant emotion bar on the touchscreen. The pop up in NSMBU is just stupid, hopefully its just the way they've integrated Miiverse into NSMBU and I can turn it off. Game invites - missing (and while I am on the subject, why can't they make use of the calendar they've had in hardware since Nintendo 64DD and allow us to schedule games - grr) . Sod the video call - give us video-voicemail and let that HOME button flash when I receive an invite.

Miiverse seems less integrated than I would have liked, having to be transported out of the game to post some thought is pretty lame IMO. WaraWara Plaza is not in (near) realtime which makes it pretty pointless.

After the initial launch buzz I can't see the core games really making much use of Miiverse either. I still see promise in Miiverse but its not where it needs to be for launch. They do seem committed to improving the service so hopefully, we'll get some big improvements over time but games released before then are unlikely to be patched to make use of the new services.

Don't need summaries, just a basic understanding of Japanese and logic.

When scrolling through Miiverse on the Gamepad, you have your toolbar on the left

oJyrB.jpg

Top option is you

Next is Friends (I think)

Next is Community

Next is Messages

Next is News (Notifications)

It also doesn't take you completely out of the game, merely suspends it akin to accessing notifications/browser in the 3DS. You also don't have to post a thought on every level to proceed.

Why do you want a portion on the GamePad to be constantly showing these things? That'd ruin part of the GamePad. I'm happy with the home button illuminating whenever I get a message.

Who says game invites are missing? They're sort of on the 3DS as it is. We haven't seen much of the friend list interaction.

Don't need summaries, just a basic understanding of Japanese and logic.

When scrolling through Miiverse on the Gamepad, you have your toolbar on the left

oJyrB.jpg

Top option is you

Next is Friends (I think)

Next is Community

Next is Messages

Next is News (Notifications)

It also doesn't take you completely out of the game, merely suspends it akin to accessing notifications/browser in the 3DS. You also don't have to post a thought on every level to proceed.

Why do you want a portion on the GamePad to be constantly showing these things? That'd ruin part of the GamePad. I'm happy with the home button illuminating whenever I get a message.

Who says game invites are missing? They're sort of on the 3DS as it is. We haven't seen much of the friend list interaction.

Nice. Though we don't know we get notifications if we're messaged (that's video calling) or even if they're instant.

And Game invites aren't on 3ds in any way shape of form. The closest thing it has is you can join someones room.

On Street Fighter for example or resident evil or whatever, you both have to know the other person is playing and both search at the same time, what makes it EVEN harder is one has to lead and one receive; this means LOADS of communication is needed (which the 3DS doesn't provide). If it did have game invites I could go on street fighter, invite you to a game, you'd get the notficiation and accept or decline. EASY and hassle free.

Nice. Though we don't know we get notifications if we're messaged (that's video calling) or even if they're instant.

And Game invites aren't on 3ds in any way shape of form. The closest thing it has is you can join someones room.

On Street Fighter for example or resident evil or whatever, you both have to know the other person is playing and both search at the same time, what makes it EVEN harder is one has to lead and one receive; this means LOADS of communication is needed (which the 3DS doesn't provide). If it did have game invites I could go on street fighter, invite you to a game, you'd get the notficiation and accept or decline. EASY and hassle free.

I highly doubt Nintendo would leave out such an integral feature. Relax :)

I highly doubt Nintendo would leave out such an integral feature. Relax :)

Relax? RELAX?

Okay... :)

Ultimately I couldn't be more excited for the wii u, I guess I just want it to be perfect and provide what everyone wants (even though things like accomplishments I don't care about it, I understand its necessary for a lot of gamers)

(even though things like accomplishments I don't care about it, I understand its necessary for a lot of gamers)

Accomplishments?

Pardon my ignorance - (can't be bothered reading through the thread lol), but are the accomplishments like achievements then?

As in, the list of achievements that are there on a 360 game will be the same on the Wii U version, should there be a Wii U version etc?