NEurope
Dcubed

Wii - Wii U Transfer info! (transferred Wii/VC games NOT playable on Gamepad)

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2012/09/dont-trade-in-your-wii-yet-nintendo-confirms-that-youll-need-both-your-old-wii-and-wii-u-to-transfer-datagames-between-systems/

Hello,

Thank you for writing. I can confirm that you will be able to transfer your content from your Wii to the new Wii U. Wii U owners can wirelessly transfer content such as Miis, and WiiWare and Virtual Console games to their Wii U systems. Both systems will need to be connected to the Internet and the Wii U will need an SD card to facilitate the transfer. The process is very similar to transferring content from Nintendo DS to Nintendo 3DS or from Nintendo 3DS to Nintendo 3DS XL; which has been received positively by consumers. Transferred Wii content is accessible and can be played through Wii Mode, an application on the Wii U’s main menu. For updated information please keep checking our website at:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu

Sincerely,

Brian McFarlane

Nintendo of America Inc.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31715

Wii, WiiWare, and Virtual Console games will be supported on Wii U much the same way that GameCube titles were supported on Wii, without any special features or GamePad support.

So Wii BC is handled the same way as GCN BC then? 100% identical with no access to the new hardware features. Disapointing... If they're not planning on upgrading people to the native Wii U versions for free, I may just get an EU Wii U after all :(

Have they mentioned transferring saved data? Games which are online can't be copied, so how are you supposed to transfer that? Having never transferred stuff from a 3DS I have no idea how it works.

Have they mentioned transferring saved data? Games which are online can't be copied, so how are you supposed to transfer that? Having never transferred stuff from a 3DS I have no idea how it works.

They've already said that you can transfer save data

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/06/e3_2012_transfer_wii_save_data_and_shop_purchases_to_wii_u

We are readying the system to be able to transfer saves and everything you've bought.

But no mention about locked saves.

They have a facility at their customer service centres that lets them transfer locked save files (and homebrewed Wiis are capable of transferring them too) so it's perfectly possible. I don't see why that would be an issue here ::shrug:

Because this is Nintendo.

Nintendo have the ability to transfer the Wii Shop Channel from one Wii to another through the internet. They just need to push a few buttons and the Wii Shop Channel, all purchased games and points are available on the new Wii. Once I gave them the required details, it took less than 10 minutes to transfer.

It's fine, it all lived over from the 3ds. Everything will move over.

I'm getting really worried about the lack of gamepad usage here, VC andwii ware games would be amazing for tablet play, there's no reason they couldn't get it to work. Except laziness. Maybe this is something they'll sort out at a later date.

This is actually quite brilliant news.

I didn't expect it, but it's a really convenient feature. Kudos for Nintendo!

I can't imagine myself dipping into "Wii mode" very often, but it's no bad thing if it means the Wii U Virtual Console games are actually different files - hopefully 60Hz and 1080p.

I'm sure they could add Gamepad support with firmware updates

could being the operative word

If it's like the Wii's GCN backward's compatibility mode or the 3DS' "DSi Mode" (and from the sounds of things, it is), that wont be possible. The Wii U's hardware would shut itself off, leaving only the original Wii hardware running and unable to access any of the Wii U's functionality.

But surely the Wii U will have a virtual console that will run on its own hard ware?! Surely?!

But surely the Wii U will have a virtual console that will run on its own hard ware?! Surely?!

Oh no doubt it will, but they're gonna have to retool the emulators used for each game one by one and that's gonna take time.

I would hope that they would offer free upgrades when it does happen for each game, but we'll have wait and see (hopefully there's one smart journalist out there asking this question...)

I hope they can add gamepad support through patches or something. The prospect of playing VC games in bed was actually something I was getting pretty excited about, sadly!

Hopefully it'll be like the Ambassador program. Like this for now, but when they release the games on the eShop we'll get a free update.

How did the transfer of DSi games to 3DS work.... was it you picked what to transfer one by one ...or by bulk or did the 3DS just look at the DSi memory and pull everything over.

Only just occurred to me I have the HBC on my Wii for playing import games.... whats the betting the Wii U will have something built in to detect it and then not allow me to transfer any games or saves over :heh:...ah well if that does happen I'll just have to keep my Wii handy. Although I guess any non-online game saves you'll still be able to just put on an SD card and move over to the WiiU anyway if I did have an issue so won't be that bad in the worst case scenario....guess I'll find out in a few months, haha

I'm really pleased to hear that we'll be able to transfer our purchases over from the Wii to the Wii U, I have so much content on there that i've bought that it would be a shame to keep it on the Wii as it gathers dust.

How did the transfer of DSi games to 3DS work.... was it you picked what to transfer one by one ...or by bulk or did the 3DS just look at the DSi memory and pull everything over.

It did it by bulk - you could select which ones you wanted to transfer.