NEurope
Retro_Link

Harmo Knight (eShop)

Anyone know if the later stages require the stylus? Wasn't gonna download it, so I could focus on Luigi's Mansion, but if the games just use's button, it could become my public transport entertainment.

Anyone know if the later stages require the stylus? Wasn't gonna download it, so I could focus on Luigi's Mansion, but if the games just use's button, it could become my public transport entertainment.
Pretty sure it's buttons only for the entire game. @khilafah should be able to confirm that though. :)

And yeah... download it anyway. ;)

Just played the demo, loved the Bicycle stage :D I only wish it was longer. I think I'll wait til after I've gotten through all my gaming backlog before buying this though, hopefully it'll be at a reduce price by then :p

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a Space Channel 5 vibe from the game, especially from the boss fights?

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a Space Channel 5 vibe from the game, especially from the boss fights?
Yep, a definite inspiration for those stages. :hehe:

Which is awesome obviously, as Space Channel 5 (and Part 2) are absolutely amazing. :bouncy:

Beat the demo as well, great idea for a game. Also, naming the hero Tempo = genius.

Played the demo. It's a great game. It's just too bad that I SUCK at it. Big time. My sense of rythm is just non-existent. I would really like to play it but I just can't. So it's not a download for me. Especially not at that price tag (even though it's a full game for a minimum price I still think that eShop-titles should be below £10).

That's weird, it has different stages to the Japanese demo. The Pokemon stage, which was a lot longer in the Japanese demo and the boss stage.

Played and enjoyed the demo.

Prolly won't d/l the full game right away. But maybe sometime down the line if I have some extra cash and looking for something different. (Or if it ever gets a sale)

I really did enjoy the boss fight too :D

I downloaded the demo, seeing people had mentioned it, and after the few vids I've seen via ND, I was expecting it to be super easy... but I was terrible at it. I was wanting to swing when I thought the enemy was at the right point, but I kept getting duff hits. You really have to be in time with the music but to be honest, I'm not entirely sure their isn't some fudging of the animations going on because the enemies look too far in front given the short range of your club/note - this was especially bad with the crabs on the Pokémon stage which were nowhere near you when you have to swing to hit them.

It seems to attack that you have to play with your ears and to navigate, you have to use your eyes. Will have to give it another try with a bit more concentration me thinks.

As expected, loved this game so much. Don't know why, kind of made me want to whack out jungle beat...

It does seem expensive though. How big is it? How many levels?

Prolly won't d/l the full game right away. But maybe sometime down the line if I have some extra cash and looking for something different. (Or if it ever gets a sale)
Don't worry, I'll keep pestering you about it. ;)

It'll be like that time you kept reminding me to play Xenoblade. :laughing:

I downloaded the demo, seeing people had mentioned it, and after the few vids I've seen via ND, I was expecting it to be super easy... but I was terrible at it. I was wanting to swing when I thought the enemy was at the right point, but I kept getting duff hits. You really have to be in time with the music but to be honest, I'm not entirely sure their isn't some fudging of the animations going on because the enemies look too far in front given the short range of your club/note - this was especially bad with the crabs on the Pokémon stage which were nowhere near you when you have to swing to hit them.
I expect quite a lot of people will fall into the trap of trying to play this game based on what they're seeing, rather than what they're hearing.

I did exactly that at first too. Mostly because I was admiring the lovely visuals. :love:

As for the animation (it's standard practice with most rhythm games, or any game with an emphasis on accurate timing, fighters for example) some liberties have to be taken in order to make the gameplay flow, there's just no way around that.

It does seem expensive though. How big is it? How many levels?
From what I understand this is essentially a full retail game, it's just being released exclusively on the eShop.

There are 50+ stages set over various worlds, and you take control of at least 3 different characters by the looks of things.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure there's more than enough content in the game to justify the price. :smile:

God news air length. I am obsessed with with rhythm games. I've bought every single rock band and guitar hero, even both DS ones and DS rockband. I have all version of donkey konga including the map ones. I have all versions of band brothers, including the jap one and its expansion pack. Same with elite beat agents and the two jap ouendans and all the rhythm hevens... and about 30 different ones on the iPhone and ipad... I even love the rhythm levels to mario galaxy/3d land, I don't know what it is about playing a game to a rhythm, it just doesn't get boring to me!

God news air length. I am obsessed with with rhythm games. I've bought every single rock band and guitar hero, even both DS ones and DS rockband. I have all version of donkey konga including the map ones. I have all versions of band brothers, including the jap one and its expansion pack. Same with elite beat agents and the two jap ouendans and all the rhythm hevens... and about 30 different ones on the iPhone and ipad... I even love the rhythm levels to mario galaxy/3d land, I don't know what it is about playing a game to a rhythm, it just doesn't get boring to me!

You forgot Bit.Trip Runner:heh:

Anyone actually know of more games like BT Runner and HarmoKnight?

You forgot Bit.Trip Runner:heh:

Anyone actually know of more games like BT Runner and HarmoKnight?

Well yeah, got that too :)

I expect quite a lot of people will fall into the trap of trying to play this game based on what they're seeing, rather than what they're hearing.

I did exactly that at first too. Mostly because I was admiring the lovely visuals. :love:

As for the animation (it's standard practice with most rhythm games, or any game with an emphasis on accurate timing, fighters for example) some liberties have to be taken in order to make the gameplay flow, there's just no way around that.

Yeah it was very confusing. I'm not a fan of traditional rhythm style games, even when given nice and deceptive make overs like this. I know a lot of fighters (both one-on-one and beat-em-ups) have rhythmic components to their core fighting systems for combos (and I get the fudging of animations for command grabs and the kara-throw technique) but even still, they come down to spacing and timing and there is nothing else sending messages to your brain to tell you it should be anything than what your eyes see.

Here, there is a deliberate conflict of the senses going on between what your eyes and ears are telling you to do. It's clever but a bit annoying too.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I finally got around to giving the demo a go this afternoon and it's probably safe to say that I will be investing in it in the near future :grin: I have a 2000 Nintendo Points card left that I probably won't use on the Wii so this could be an ideal use for those funds :hehe:

I have to admit that I did seem to get a little confused between the A and B buttons during the demo as my brain seemed to want A to Jump and B to Swing, not the other way round :indeed: Also, along with my recent playthrough of Rhythm Thief, it kind of left my unconvinced about the reliability of the face buttons on the 3DS as I don't feel they have an adequate spring to them to be entirely satisfactory. It somewhat makes me yearn for a 3DS lite to come along to fix any grievances there are to be had with the current model :heh:

I have a 2000 Nintendo Points card left that I probably won't use on the Wii so this could be an ideal use for those funds :hehe:

Can't use that on 3DS or Wii U I'm afraid, only the latest prepaid credit/gift cards :sad:

-

Noticed today that you can actually hit the musical instruments in the background :indeed: Roll on Thursday!

Can't use that on 3DS or Wii U I'm afraid, only the latest prepaid credit/gift cards :sad:

I could have sworn someone on here used them quite recently and that they were worth £15 or £17 or something..? I was sure they were compatible! It's not a big deal if they're not, though.. :red:

Hmmm, I was convinced you could use the points cards... do you know that for fact Welsh or you just heard somewhere?

Only one way to find out nando!

I was going to @ tag you but when I do it says message too short! Had this problem before.

Nintendolife Review:

"HarmoKnight manages to combine attractive cartoon-like visuals with engaging, rhythm-based gameplay to create an experience which can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with genre classics like Vib Ribbon, Gitaroo Man and PaRappa the Rappa. There’s enough content and gameplay here to justify a full-price retail release, so the fact that Nintendo has delivered this at a lower price point for download speaks volumes about the company’s attitude to the gradual shift from physical to digital distribution. It’s not entirely perfect — some of the music is a little on the weak side and unless you’re a dedicated score-chaser, the longevity could be questionable — but while it lasts, HarmoKnight is a pleasure to play and experience. Hopefully Game Freak’s developers will be encouraged to step from out of the shadow of Pikachu and produce similarly unique and entertaining titles in the near future."

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/eshop/harmoknight

I tried to add the Nintendo Points to my 3DS and, as somewhat anticipated, it didn't work :hmm: I guess I'll just have to get them onto the Wii and buy a few more classics :grin: It does mean, however, that I'm probably less enthusiastic about getting Harmo Knight straight away as it means I have to hand over actual money for it.. :heh:

Is it 2pm yet? :D

They better update the eShop on time this week, I'll be going mental if this isn't up dead-on 2. :laughing:

Should have brought my 3DS to work. Really need an online store with automatic download push for days like this.