N-Europe

40s/50s Music

dwarf

Aight.

If you play Fallout or Bioshock, or if you watch Mad Men at all, you'll have doubtlessly been charmed by some terrific music. Maybe you came into contact with the period sounds featured in the above productions in a different way, I don't care.

I'm talking 40's oldies, big band, jazz, and early rhythm and blues music, particularly American numbers. I recently thought how damn pimpin' it must have been to waltz into one of those old theatres/clubs/balls, to chink together glasses containing top quality gin (or whatever tipple you fancy), to be enraptured by all of the elegant dresses gliding across the floor and to marvel at the most talented performers of the time. Could such a themed club be set up today? Probably not, although I can't be sure one doesn't exist, at least not in England anyway.

Anyway, how about you help me with a playlist I'm making? Contributions of this nature/quality would be splendid:

I'm going through Fallout and Mad Men playlists, and I've just stumbled over the 'Wonderful World of the 50's' album on Spotify which seems to be a well of good tunes.

Edited by dwarf

Nice!

It turns out Dinah was on the Mad Men soundtrack, and she also sang 'Is you is, or is you ain't my baby', but I prefer Tom and Jerry's take on it:

The actual singer is Louis Jordan. It turns out he's the coolest cat there is:

Edited by dwarf

And some great Nat King Cole!

One of my favourite songs. :love:

- one of my favourite songs

These two songs are very special to me. My Mum used to have a record player and would play these songs in the house. Getting a bit teary listening to these.

Some of these probably don't work, but they were important songs for that era.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk