NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Basically just the E3 demo footage...

This was the game that's violence bothered me the most at an E3 full of it; I think it's too realistic personally.

I'm fine with most the violence, was just the beginning with the QTE that was a little much. I liked that it looked arcadey.

The realism in terms of depiction doesn't really bother me, its the sadism that wrinkles my nose: my takeaway is that the game requires you to torture people. Not to say games aren't allowed to require that of a player, but I don't think I'm being especially cynical by saying that there is no grander point to its inclusion in Blacklist; there won't be any reflection on it, other characters won't question it, it's just there to be 'cool'.

To be quite sure they didn't raise my expectations, they then threw in some seemingly mandatory cover-based shooting and that hottest of features fresh from 2008, a controllable remote strike.

Oh well, at least we still have Dishonored, Hitman: Absolution and, eventually, Thief 4 to look forward to.

Absolution, whilst looking infinitely more enjoyable than this, is almost as cynical. The dreadful marketing will carry over into the game since the nuns are actually part of a faction you have to eliminate.

I have a problem with protagonists like Sam Fisher, or at least his portrayal in Blacklist, and with Jack Bauer in 24, because they are idolised. I don't have that grudge against Agent 47 because he's an independent killer and he isn't politically loaded in the same way.

Absolution, whilst looking infinitely more enjoyable than this, is almost as cynical. The dreadful marketing will carry over into the game since the nuns are actually part of a faction you have to eliminate.

At least IO are changing things in some capacity.

As for Blacklist, I don't really think it's cynical. Well, I don't think the torture aspect is, at least. Perhaps more worryingly I just don't think anyone questioned the idea because that's what videogames are, right?

I'm not against violence in games. Shooting and hitting can be made into very engaging mechanics, and as a closed-loop interaction they make a lot of sense in terms of attainability. However, for me it seems like we're moving away from violence as mechanic towards the fetishisation of it, as demonstrated by the analogue knife wiggling in this or the entirely superfluous 'hold A to watch guy shot in close up slow-mo' feature in Max Payne 3. When you take a step back it's actually really weird, and I have to wonder who these design choices are being made for it; is the audience actual or perceived?

Wasn't there torture in Conviction?

My main problem with this game was the auto-kill from The Bourne Conspiracy. At least in the Bourne game it took a while to build it up, but here...I thought it was way overused halfway into the demo. It just looked stupid being used so often.

Unless it's just that they had a "infinite use" cheat on for the demo, and in reality it's use in the game is much, much less.

Oh, and, the setting is incredibly boring. How about making it less about current politics and give us a reason to infiltrate an extremely high security skyscraper in Tokyo or something. Something fun and awesome. Not Modern Warfare.

Here come the Collectors Editions............................................... :indeed:

The 5th Freedom Edition (available exclusively to GAME in the UK and Gamestop in Ireland)

• A Sam Fisher figurine (24cm)

• A steelbook case

• A 96 page graphic novel, Splinter Cell Echoes®

• Single and Multiplayer Co-op maps: Dead Coast and Billionaire’s Yacht

• Unlockable digital items: 5 pieces of gear: Gold Goggles and Amber Goggles, Ghost Boots, Armored Boots and Tactical Glove; 5 suits: Elite Digital Ghillie Suit, Spy Suit, Mercenary Suit, Upper Echelon Suit and Eclipse Suit; 5 Weapons: VSS Sniper Rifle, M1014 Tactical Shotgun, HK 416 Assault Rifle F40, Pistol and Crossbow

scbcollectored5thfreedomukjpg-4806f1_640w.jpg

The 5th Freedom Silver Edition (available exclusively to Uplay)

• An exclusive Silver Sam Fisher figurine (24cm)

• A special steelbook case with silver finish

• A 96 page graphic novel, Splinter Cell Echoes®

• Unlockable digital items: 5 pieces of gear: Gold Goggles and Amber Goggles, Ghost Boots, Armored Boots and Tactical Gloves; 5 suits: Elite Digital Ghillie Suit, Spy Suit, Mercenary Suit, Upper Echelon Suit and Eclipse Suit; 5 Weapons: VSS Sniper Rifle, M1014 Tactical Shotgun, HK 416 Assault Rifle F40, Pistol and Crossbow

scblcollectored5thfreedomsilverukv9jpg-e20ca4_640w.jpg

Yes, it's pretty much exactly the same as the above package, but you get a silver Sam and silver finish steelbook.

The Ultimatum Edition

• Special-Ops Digital Watch

• A 24 page Splinter Cell Echoes Graphic Novel

• Unlockable digital items: 2 pieces of gear: Gold Goggles and Ghost Boots, 1 Suit: Upper Echelon Suit

scbcollectoredultimatumeditionukjpg-e20ca3_640w.jpg

Upper Echelon Day 1 Edition (Exclusive to Game in the UK and Xtravision in Ireland)

This Day 1 edition includes -

• The Dead coast single player and coop map

• A pair of gold goggles

• The legendary Upper Echelon Suit

• Early access to the HK 416 Assault Rifle

• Elite Digital Ghillie Suit

And finally if you pre-order the game through Amazon.co.uk:

• The Dead coast single player and coop map

• A pair of gold goggles

• The legendary Upper Echelon Suit

• Tactical Gloves

• Early access to M1014 Tactical Shotgun

scblcollectoredupperechelonukv2jpg-4806f2_640w.jpg

Rediculous! :p

How the hell can anyone risk pre-ordering a collector's edition due out ages away from GAME?

Awesome. I'll take two of each.

You'll also want a couple of the American version:

set610.jpg

Man, I don't know how people have room for all this junk. I have a hard enough time finding room for just the game cases.

Sign in to follow this