NEurope
arab_freak

Windows 8

Microsoft are giving away CPs of Windows 8 like they did with the Windows 7 BETA:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

The computer-literate bunch have told me it's a beast of an OS that rivals a Mac in terms of quality and security. One of them told me the built-in Microsoft Security Essentials was enough for him NOT to install anti-virus software as he had actually tried to get it infected, but couldn't.

35782-windows8_desktop.jpg

I'd love to try out some of the touch features. If anyone else is considering installing it, give us your impressions.

What happens when it finally gets released? Also I thought "8" was just a working title?

What happens when it finally gets released?

It'll either be obsolete, or you'll have to purchase it... at least that was the case when the Windows 7 BETA came out.

I should also mention that if you're already on 7 and install this, you won't be able to downgrade. To be fair though, everyone I know with this build have no intention of going back. I'd install it myself but my PC doesn't have a DVD writer, so I'm just waiting for my friend to give me his copy.

I'm pretty tempted, but right now i can't unfortunately as all my code etc for work would take a while to sort out again if i reinstalled my OS, so it'll have to wait until i either get a new laptop, or finish my PhD.

It looks good though, i can't wait to try it!

I have it, and working in IT support am dreading the day when this rolls out to end users. They have enough problems with the jump from office 03 to 07.

I like it thought, it's pretty smooth and doesn't seem to be a drag on the system having various apps open, it's definitely designed for touch screens though, alot of right clicking going on in order to bring up the menus for various apps.

Yeah, it's definitely built for tablets. I like the Metro theme but I feel it gets in the way of just doing normal stuff. You can switch to the classic desktop (although I couldn't find the setting) but it's missing the Start button and you have to press the windows key to bring up the Metro style anyway.

I like how it uses and integrates your Windows Live ID/Facebook/etc and how the "apps" are all similar in design.

I guess it'll just take some getting used to, haven't really used it properly since I was only trying it in a Virtual machine rather than dual booting.

The Consumer Preview keys will probably expire once the retail version is out hopefully they will do what they did with Windows 7 and sell it at a reduced price at launch.

I had a quick go. Metro feels like style over substance to me, it certainly wouldn't work in a business environment. I couldn't even figure out how to shut down without googling it, I had to press Win+I. I think you're supposed to gesture towards the right side of metro to bring up the submenu to shut down, but since I was on dual screen and metro only inhabited the left one, that gesture wouldn't work!

It looks really nice, and it seems to be making some intelligent steps, but for the most part I can't see myself switching to it for a while. Metro is clearly designed for tablets, simply getting around my computer felt more effort than it should've been. A full screen app launching every time I hit the windows key? It would be ok, if the search in Metro worked the same way as the start-menu, but it doesn't seem to.

Anyway, if you want to get rid of Metro and put your start button back, this fix should help:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/03/02/vistart-restores-start-menu-disables-metro-ui-in-windows-8/

Also, moving to tech.

Microsoft say it works for both desktop and tablets, so hopefully the full release allows easier configuration for desktop users. It does seem best suited for tablets at the moment, it's Microsofts answer to Android and Apple tablets. Have they left it too late, only time will tell at the release.

I was reading an article earlier in the week, and thats MS will have their work cut out to convince people to purchase 8, since many are still on XP and some have only just upgraded to 7 and may not want to upgrade to 8.

I'm a little curious but I've not tried it out yet myself - not long been using Windows 7 (at home at least) really and can't say I've noticed much difference/improvement over a fully up to date Vista. I might get round to it at some point and I'd imagine I'll be able to get a copy of the full version for free anyway once the trial ends as part of the Microsoft Academic Alliance.

I'm more annoyed that you can't use XNA for developing Metro apps - you have to use C++ and DX11 which is far from an ideal entry point for any would be game developer starting out or even indie companies that like to program in it. Hopefully they'll come up with a new toolset to replace it.

Edited by Captain Falcon