NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
EEVILMURRAY

Website hosting and creating tips

Hi, I'm looking for a nice place to host my site and somewhere I can design it on. I've already got my domain name set up and I know many people here have their own personal websites so I'm wondering what you people use.

The first step is choosing a CMS. What kind of site do you want?

For simple blog, Wordpress would do. For something more complicated then Joomla is a suggestion.

Mine is Joomla. There are plenty of free templates if you don't want to design your own.

As for hosting, I use UK2. However, that's mainly because it's free for me* due to it being what I set up for work (it seemed a great deal for allowing multiple sites/domains on one server/hosting package). I'm not sure what is best for a personal site.

*Actually, due to a strange billing error, work also gets it for free.

I would highly recommend using Wordpress. It's incredibly powerful and easy to work with. Joomla can be a little bit confusing sometimes. There are thousands of free templates for Wordpress about and there are plugins which can make it do absolutely anything.

As for hosting I use tsohost.co.uk. Quick, cheap and reliable.

Agreed about Wordpress. Although I primarily work with Joomla, Wordpress is much better if you're building it yourself from the ground up. The only exception would be if you really like one of the available Joomla templates and are happy to sit mostly within its confines.

I didn't realise Wordpress was that flexible. In that case, go with that. Will be easier to get used to. My main reason for Joomla was simply more practice.

I didn't realise Wordpress was that flexible. In that case, go with that. Will be easier to get used to. My main reason for Joomla was simply more practice.

When I say "Wordpress is better if you're building it from the ground up", that was aimed specifically at Eevil who I'm assuming is not a web-developer.

If you're building it from scratch but with significant experience, it's a different matter and depends more on what you're aiming for.

</vague>

I took a look at Wordpress and had no clue what I was supposed to do with it. So I just ended up making my own crappy site from scratch. =P

As for hosting, I also went with Tsohost.co.uk after some users on here recommended them. Cheap and I haven't really had any problems with them at all. =)

Geocities.

I had a site on Geocities once. It was fucking amazing.

When I say "Wordpress is better if you're building it from the ground up", that was aimed specifically at Eevil who I'm assuming is not a web-developer.

:( It's true, I know fuck all about it.

I'll have a look at Wordpress, I too thought it was primarily blog related.

Someone recommended Squarespace, anyone had experiences with those?

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Seems like a good investment. Although I can't seem to find a basic price and it doesn't really specify hosting space... $12 for domain mapping... I thought it would've been easier if I had the domain name already registered, but there's this whole transfer process. I never knew it was this complicated, damn Geocities for being so easy to access.

I took a look at Wordpress and had no clue what I was supposed to do with it. So I just ended up making my own crappy site from scratch. =P

I'm understanding your frustration Ine, what did you use to make your site?

My main website I put together with Photoshop and Dreamweaver heh. I have pretty much no experience in building websites so it wasn't easy. =P

My shop is from Opencart but I have adjusted it to my needs, so changing a looooooot of the options and images and all that.

I must confess, I think I'm getting the hang of Wordpress after some nice fapping around. There's a few things I'm concerned about doing, but I'm playing around with the layout to see if this sorts the problem.

Hopefully this means I won't have to spend as much as I thought...

You don't have to transfer your domain on Yahoo (Geocities doesn't exist anymore). I would keep it with the place you bought it from.

You don't have to transfer your domain on Yahoo (Geocities doesn't exist anymore). I would keep it with the place you bought it from.

I know Geocities has gone, went around... 3-5 years ago? I got an email from them around the time so rushed over to grab all the old images.

I need to fap around more on Wordpress and find the page option. I want separate pages (like what Cube has), not just a long bloggy thing.

Something like David Thornes http://www.27bslash6.com/index.html

But I can imagine that more like creating a page then making a blog entry to said page, which would be nice. Although not what I'll be aiming for all the time (want to have a page linking to various artwork of mine, not condensed into half page blog shizzle)

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Just chucking in another recommendation in for tsohost - been using them for several years with very few problems. Email support is always speedy!

It's a shame tsohost's pro package doesn't offer unlimited bandwidth. What kind of shared space hosts 6 websites with 100 MySQL databases but doesn't exceed 150GB monthly transfer?

Sign in to follow this