NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
sagat

Future collectibles?

Which systems will become collectibles in say 20yrs time? PS3, 360 or Wii? will any of these consoles have the same impacts as the collectible late 80's and 90's consoles?

None of them will. They are far too common. For something to become a collectible it has to be rare.

And don't say that RROD/YLOD will make them rare, because it won't.

The most recent system that will likely be a collector's item in the future will be the Game Boy Micro.

The most recent system that will likely be a collector's item in the future will be the Game Boy Micro.

Personally I doubt that will be. It was made to be retro, which isn't what collectible items were originally. Also the technology was already old when it came out.

Possibly the DS phat. But I'm still not sure about that. I can't find sales figures for it (excluding other DSs). I think it may gain "slight" collectible status (i.e. a few people might want it for a retro/hardcore feel), but not become a rare collector's item.

A brand new boxed - Gameboy Micro - the Super Famicom Edition I'm sure in a few years time will be worth money.

Aye, things are different now. Limited editions are mass market. People as always will instead search for the item that's in mint condition. I think the 360 and the PS3 will be like the Dreamcast; finding a console won't be a problem, but finding one in mint condition that also works will be. In five years time, try finding a mint condition original Nintendo Wii console and box, packed with Wii Sports, not in the CD slip case but in the DVD case. Things will become rare but not as much for their legendary status but more for their condition.

Take a look at what's genuinely 'collectable' now, timeframe it, shazam! There's your answer.

What is there really of the 80s and 90s that is actually all that 'collectable' right now, and not actually just some person's tat that they sold for a few quid at a car boot sale?

Well, define "collectable".

I think that in due time, all systems will be collectables. Lasers have limited lifespans, so do harddrives. Not to mention that the Xbox has a reputation for poor build quality.

That being said, if you by collectable mean things that will be sold for huge sums in the future, none of them will for quite some time.

Things that sold poorly will be sought after, so Gameboy Micro and Pokemon Mini are sure to get attention. Probably early Nintendo DS-units:

1305681849-52.jpg

For the Wii I imagine the old Classic Controllers with analogue shoulder buttons and also the white Gamecube controllers which were launched with the Wii.

For the Wii I imagine the old Classic Controllers with analogue shoulder buttons and also the white Gamecube controllers which were launched with the Wii.

Did CC Pro's drop the analogue shoulder buttons? Wasn't aware of that.

Did CC Pro's drop the analogue shoulder buttons? Wasn't aware of that.

They did.. but are the original Classic Controller's shoulder buttons actually analogue or do they just seems like they might be. I certainly haven't played anything on Wii that used them in that way ::shrug:

Sign in to follow this