N-Europe

I just want to say... i regret buying a Dell

Pancake

There. Got it out of my system. Just had to declare it.

It's nothing major, at this point. But makes me wonder if it's just gonna end up developing more serious probs in the future.

The battery intermittently 'fails', and is not recognised by the system as a Dell battery. Then other times it is completely fine. Was on the verge of taking it back into the shop when it first happened, but the day i was due to take it in... it worked fine. :rolleyes:

Also the space bar has become quite pissy, and needs pressed down firmly to register the command.

Just annoying in a brand new laptop!

How old is it? Where'd you get it? If it's in warranty maybe consider just taking it back as faulty anyway. Do you hear near/around your computer? One reason I could think why the spacebar might have crapped out already, though I'm not all sure. The battery definitely sounds like a faulty issue, though why does it even care whether or not it's a dell battery?

Limited? Just in warranty, surely? If it's still in warranty just take it back where you bought it from. Unless I'm mistaken retailers are obligated to replace faulty goods within the first 6 months of warranty, so it can be less a hassle than going to Dell(though i've also no idea what their customer service is like).

I'm with Rummy here, take it back to Dell today, or whenever you next can, it's under warranty and you have every right to ask to have your money back, I'm pretty sure I recall you saying you'd bought one, so surely it can't have been in your possession very long?

Go back, get your money back and buy a different brand.

Cheap laptops are crap. The margins are so low and the market so competitive that the manufacturers skimp on materials and manufacturing to meet the price point. They break easily almost without exception. Dell make good high-end gear, but their low-end stuff is no better than Acer et all. The lesson is; avoid buying cheap, high-spec laptops that seem to good to be true.

If it's a good Dell then return it for the same model. There's always the occasional dud in the batch and the replacement should be fine.

Limited? Just in warranty, surely? If it's still in warranty just take it back where you bought it from. Unless I'm mistaken retailers are obligated to replace faulty goods within the first 6 months of warranty, so it can be less a hassle than going to Dell(though i've also no idea what their customer service is like).

All electronics bought in the UK have a standard 12 month warranty.

Yeah, but my point was meant to be within the first half of it there's an obligation for retailers to do the replacing because it indicates the goods were faulty at purchase? Not that they probably would, but after that they can tell you to go via manufacturer instead.