Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I'm enjoying the kind of back to basics approach the latest X-Men relaunch has taken with X-Men Gold, X-Men Blue and Astonishing X-Men. It's been quite a few years now since I really enjoyed an X-Men series.

I was very tempted to jump back in when they relaunched but I read the first issue of Gold and thought it was pretty bland. I've heard Blue and Astonishing are far better, though. The lineup in Astonishing does appeal to me. I mean, it has Gambit in it, so how could it not? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was very tempted to jump back in when they relaunched but I read the first issue of Gold and thought it was pretty bland. I've heard Blue and Astonishing are far better, though. The lineup in Astonishing does appeal to me. I mean, it has Gambit in it, so how could it not? :D

I thought Gold was the weaker of the three but I'm still enjoying all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went up the attic and brought down a load of my Uncanny X-Men and X-men comics, last night. I sat and read a few of them and it really took me back to my teenage years. Happy days. To this day Joe Madeira is still my favourite comic book artist. Next time i'm at Forbidden Planet I think i'll pick up a load of bags and backing boards to store the ones I had loose more securely.

I also sat and watched the second part of Superheroes Decoded, last night. It was another interesting watch. It tackled various issues one of which was sexism in comics. It made me aware of the term fridging or WiR. Some of it I didn't agree with but it was interesting to hear the points being made. The main comics being pointed at when this issue was being discussed were things like the death of Gwen Stacey and The Killing Joke. 

Racism in the 60s and 70s was also a topic that was being discussed. The talked about how Negro Comics came about and how Marvel created the Black Panther but changed his name for a few issues to separate themselves from the Black Panther Party. Little bits of info like that I found really interesting to hear about. It's a shame that it was only a 2 part series.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had to switch to digital for my comic collection now. I just completely ran out of room to store all the various single issues and trade paperbacks I had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading a lot of Batman lately. At the moment I'm working my way through No Man's Land. For some reason I've always meant to read it but never got around to it. After that I'm planning on re-reading Batman War Games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and the lads had a trip out to Forbidden Planet this morning and I picked up these.

DJRp2LuXoAATtmN.jpg

I've been waiting for the X-men trades to be released. I also picked up All Star Superman as I have heard good things about it from Gaf. I've never bought a DC comic/trade as i've always been a Marvel guy. I feel somewhat dirty. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Star Superman is a very popular silver age style comic so you've probably gone for a good one. I seem to be one of the rare ones that can't stand it. Frank Quitely's art ruins every book it's in for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2017 at 0:43 PM, Happenstance said:

All Star Superman is a very popular silver age style comic so you've probably gone for a good one. I seem to be one of the rare ones that can't stand it. Frank Quitely's art ruins every book it's in for me.

I finished reading it on Sunday. It was OK, nothing special. I also finished X-Men Gold and X-men Blue over the past couple of days. Blue seems to be the higher rated comic by many people but I easily enjoyed Gold more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I finished reading it on Sunday. It was OK, nothing special. I also finished X-Men Gold and X-men Blue over the past couple of days. Blue seems to be the higher rated comic by many people but I easily enjoyed Gold more. 

I enjoyed them both but I think I prefer Gold more. Possibly because I'm kind of over the young X-Men story at this point. I'd much rather they send them back and use their present day versions. Present day dead Jean Grey is being mentioned a lot in young Jean's solo book. Cyclops is dead as well but could easily come back and could use a bit of redemption at this point. Present day Beast needs a lot of work done with him as well, a lot of fans arent happy with his direction. I have no idea what Angel's situation is currently, it changes so often that I forget. I feel like last I probably read with him he'd lost most of his memories and thought he was an actual Angel. Lastly Iceman just feels like he's in the background too often. What I want is X-Men Blue but with the present day versions of the characters I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I enjoyed them both but I think I prefer Gold more. Possibly because I'm kind of over the young X-Men story at this point. I'd much rather they send them back and use their present day versions. Present day dead Jean Grey is being mentioned a lot in young Jean's solo book. Cyclops is dead as well but could easily come back and could use a bit of redemption at this point. Present day Beast needs a lot of work done with him as well, a lot of fans arent happy with his direction. I have no idea what Angel's situation is currently, it changes so often that I forget. I feel like last I probably read with him he'd lost most of his memories and thought he was an actual Angel. Lastly Iceman just feels like he's in the background too often. What I want is X-Men Blue but with the present day versions of the characters I guess.

I loved Cyclops just before he got killed off. It was nice to see him not putting up with any BS and taking charge, even if he was a little heavy handed at times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I loved Cyclops just before he got killed off. It was nice to see him not putting up with any BS and taking charge, even if he was a little heavy handed at times.

I'd just got bored of it by that point. It had been going on for too many years. I think by the end they were possibly trying to redeem him a bit but after all the Phoenix stuff he was just leaning too far on the evil side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'd just got bored of it by that point. It had been going on for too many years. I think by the end they were possibly trying to redeem him a bit but after all the Phoenix stuff he was just leaning too far on the evil side.

I quite enjoyed that storyline. I was sick of Marvel shoving the Avengers and company down people's throats, so it was good to see the X-Men set about the Avengers. :D 

Crazy to think that when I was reading comic back in the day that it was the Avengers, FF, Iron Man etc. that were the comics that were struggling ( hence the whole Heroes Reborn reboot back then ) and it was the X-Men that kept the company afloat. Now the situation is completely reversed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I quite enjoyed that storyline. I was sick of Marvel shoving the Avengers and company down people's throats, so it was good to see the X-Men set about the Avengers. :D 

Crazy to think that when I was reading comic back in the day that it was the Avengers, FF, Iron Man etc. that were the comics that were struggling ( hence the whole Heroes Reborn reboot back then ) and it was the X-Men that kept the company afloat. Now the situation is completely reversed.

I would have enjoyed it more if it was written better. Despite them advertising it as not really having a right or a wrong side it was obvious that you were supposed to be backing the Avengers. Kind of like the first Civil War book.

I've always steered clear of reading Heroes Reborn. Too many people in my ear telling me not to bother! I read the entire Avengers run after that though which was pretty good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt need too much this time as I spent soooo much money during the last sale so I just got the latest Epic Collection: Amazing Spider-Man trade

GA1432.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was the monthly trip to Forbidden Planet for me and my mates yesterday and I ended up buying the complete collection of year 1 of Injustice. I've been after this ever since playing Injustice 2 and was glad to finally pick it up. Once  got home I started reading it and couldn't put it down. I ended up reading it all in one sitting. :D I absolutely loved it and will be picking up the complete collection of year 2 once I get paid next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im still trying to work my way through all of Uncanny X-Men at the moment from the very beginning. So hard going through the early style of writing. I get whats happening, please stop explaining it in excruciating detail!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sat and read Injustice Year 2 this evening. Brilliant stuff. I would have preferred to have Batman in it a bit more but it was understandable given what happened in the first year. Still, it was nice to see the Lanterns taking the main stage for this chapter. Gutted I have to wait until Jan for the year 3 complete collection. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up Flashpoint yesterday evening and read it last night. I thought it was fine but nothing special. It seemed like a DC version of the Age of Apocalypse except without the big impact. I only read the main arc but i'll be looking to pick up the Superman and Batman books to fill in more of the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didnt really enjoy Flashpoint and thought the Nu52 that came after it was a massive step back, one I think DC are only just starting to fix now with Rebirth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Oh wow. Brian Michael Bendis has signed a multi year exclusive deal with DC.

I was reading about that earlier. Many a Marvel fan are happy that DC have taken him off their hands. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was reading about that earlier. Many a Marvel fan are happy that DC have taken him off their hands. :D 

I think he's still a good writer but he does tend to get a bit lost in group books. Everyone ends up having the exact same snarky voice. His Ultimate Spider-Man run though is still my favourite in comics. I'm looking forward to seeing who DC gives him to work on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at Forbidden Planet again this morning and picked up a few things. I nabbed the Batman Flashpoint TPB and seen the Superman one was on sale, so picked that up as well. I also seen that the TPB of Secret Empire was out and snapped that up. Lots to read over the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm over halfway through Secret Empire and it's been disappointing so far. The whole world has been taken over, heroes are dropping like flies and yet there's no sign of any X-Men lending a hand. To no surprise I see most of Marvels cinematic universe being front and center in all of this. Yeah, I ain't impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites