N-Europe

MS Word 2007 Help Please

s14N-m4R13

Hi my peeps

Little help needed. I'm planning to use one A6 greeting card to print my own designs and stuff onto it. I wish to have different texts and images on all four pages of the single, folded card (front of card, the two pages inside and the back of the card).

How do I set up the options for this?.. I'm using MS Word 2007. Would I need to run that single A6 card through the printer two or four times?

Ok when I go to the printing options I see 'print on both sides of paper' and also something about 'flipping half-way through of printing.' I see something about 'booklet' and a certain amount of pages per sheet (2, 4, 6, 8 and so on).

I really need help on the above, but mainly need help on seeing the 4 pages of this single A6 card. I would like to create a customized greeting card. Am I supposed to see 'page 1 of 4' whilst I'm working? All four sections of this one A6 card has it's own theme but they compliment eachother so it feels like one adventurous theme if I make any sense.

I plan on using images (some quite transparent), fancy fonts, and simple designs.

My main concern: The fact that it seems as if it's just one page in total that I'm using (e.g. 'page 1 of 1'). So whatever I do to that page would end up being one whole page across 2 out of 4 pages of the A6 card - when I hope to have each one of the four pages of this one card to have its own stuff on it. Is this possible?

Thanks buds

If I've understood what you want to do correctly, then you need A5 card, not A6. Then you need to set up 4 A6 sized pages in Word. Do your designs. When it comes to printing, make sure your printer is set up to print on to A5, not A6, then tell it to do 2 pages per sheet and to print on both sides. It'll print one side, then you feed that sheet back in t the print tray by hand so it can print on the other side (it's usually printed size facing upwards to print on the other side, but best to test this with paper first). What should have is the back cover as Page 1, the front cover as Page 2, then inside left is Page 3 and inside right is Page 4. Fold the card over. Done.

Publisher is better for this stuff though (and it would guide you through the process). PowerPoint is the next best alternative if you don't have Publisher. Word is quite poor for doing this stuff.

You sure...?

Surely you print the card open, so thus you have the Side One as, the back and front, then side 2 as inside left and right. If the card is A5-sized when opened, then this makes sense.

As shorty says, practice with half an A4 sheet so that you know which way to put the sheet in when you've printed the Side One, i.e. print an arrow that is orientated with how you wish the card's 'up' to be, then print another 'up' as page two, and remember or even write down whether you re-inserted teh sheet rotated and reversed or just reversed.

If the final card is portrait, rather than landscape, then the A5 word/publisher sheet will need to be in landscape mode. It is most likely that when printing the reverse side, you will maintain the up/down orientation of teh sheet, rather than rotating and reversing the sheet of paper.

If the final card is to be landscape, then you may have to do a little experimenting, but I'd imagine that the following is correct;

final card landscape = Side One has top half as the back of the card (upside down) and the bottom half as the front of the card, correct way around. Side 2 would have the 2nd inside page (with the greeting written on it) at the top upside down, and the first inside page on the bottom, the correct way up.

What is therefore important is to know which way your paper goes in to your printer, which is where drawing an orientation arrow along with a test run will prove to you that you are aligning things correctly. The above is how my printer works - paper in top, prints come out bottom. some go in a bottom drawer and are manipulated through the machine, i.e. being fed into the back from the tray, and fed out through the front, so in a way the paper has to be put in 'upside down' into the tray.

So yeah, I can see your confusion :P

I was thinking that you need to print it as a 2 page booklet. This will make sure that page 1 & 4 are printed on the outside and pages 2 & 3 are on the inside.

For making sure that you can see all of your pages simultaneously you might be able to change the view settings to allow you to see 2 pages next to each other (or I might be getting mixed up with Acrobat :( ).

But mainly I would echo what other people have said. Mess around with your printer using scrap paper. Literally make pages with nothing on but a 1, 2, 3, 4 and that it. Then you can figure a way to do it that fits what you need.

EDIT: And REEEEEALLY important. Use Print Preview! It will save you so much time!