N-Europe

Mario Party 9

Hero-of-Time

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this yesterday and put an hour and a half into it, playing through the first two boards. I skipped 8, and don't remember much about 7 (was that the one with the awful microphone?), so it's been a while since I've played a Mario Party. So far, I'm really enjoying how the series has been shaken up with this entry. Not collecting coins to buy stars and the Start-->Finish board like in Wii Party are both changes for the better, in my opinion. I also like most of the minigames I've tried so far, and boss battles are fun. The biggest surprise for me was lack of nunchuck support, but the game copes fine without. Definitely not a must buy for everyone, but for anyone looking for a new party game on Wii (really, is there anyone?), I'd definitely recommend.

Ah yes, and after his absence in MK7, it's good to be able to main Waluigi again. :D

Hey guys, we've got a copy of Mario Party 9 early and had a few games on it. We also recorded one playthrough on Toad Road to give you lot an example of what to expect. This is a really fun game and worth getting if you enjoy getting a group of mates together of an evening.

Ordered this last night on ShopTo. 5 minute dispatch?! Awesome! Might even have arrived today, but i'll have to wait till i get home. And it is Mario Kart League night so i might not be able to play it, but ah well. This weekend i should hopefully play some multiplayer with my girlfriend. She has agreed to play it, so she can't back out now!

Hey guys, we've got a copy of Mario Party 9 early and had a few games on it. We also recorded one playthrough on Toad Road to give you lot an example of what to expect. This is a really fun game and worth getting if you enjoy getting a group of mates together of an evening.

I have to say, I really enjoyed watching your video. There was many a time I was LOLing at you losing your head with your mates. :D

I used to love this series to bits as I had such a laugh playing it with mates back in the day. Sadly, as time went by and we all grew up we just don't have the time to get together at someones house and play these types of games It times like these I wish Nintendo would put an online option in the game, aswell as sort out voice chatting.

Anyway, despite being a billy no mates and having nobody to play with, I will still pick this up. Like Gentleben, I will probably pick it up at HMV tomorrow while i'm out and about. I was going to use the last of my points/credit in GAME but seeing as they ain't stocking it, I will use my HMV credit instead. :D

I went to HMV to pick this up this morning, only to find they didn't have it either. The guy said they were out of stock. Yeah right, it just came out this morning! This is why retail is failing, they can't even get their goods in on time.

I have to pop out and do some shopping later, i'll see if Morrisons have it.

I went to HMV to pick this up this morning, only to find they didn't have it either. The guy said they were out of stock. Yeah right, it just came out this morning! This is why retail is failing, they can't even get their goods in on time.

I have to pop out and do some shopping later, i'll see if Morrisons have it.

I've had problems getting a copy as well..

I popped into City centre and visited HMV who said the delivery was'nt due until tomorrow (which makes me think what is the point of a release date, if shops can adhere to it?)

Next I visited GAME, just on the off chance to be told, they wouldn't be stocking it. When I asked why I was told since Nintendo wouldn't be sending them or any other shops any stock for the next month!?

Next I visited Gamestation, to be also be they wouldn'nt be stocking it. When I asked why, the reply I got was "it depends what you read on the internet"

I then tired another HMV @ Bullring, to be told it should be on the shop floor, when the delivery comes later in the day.

Finally I stopped at Tesco at Springhill, where the also did'nt have it in stock.

I might try Blockbuster later.

Well, I checked Morrisons and they didn't have it either. If I knew this was gonna happen I would have just ordered it off Shopto. Ah well, got other games to play anyway. :heh:

I'm beginning to think there was a stock delivery issue across the board, since Blockbuster said it wasn't in stock either.

I say only because everywhere else seem to be charging 35-40 quid. I wanted it today hence me buying instore.

Just checked and reserved a copy at my local Argos store @ Bearwood.

£32.00 is a great price, considering it would cost more both online and in store.

If you want games by release date then you should pre-order online cause most of the time they're cheaper and arrive a day (or in ShopTo's case, 2 days) before the official release date. I've been running through the solo mode, gotta do Bowser's Station and then I'm gonna try and unlock the DK stage. Sucks that you can't play as him :(

Yeah i got it from ShopTo. Good service. I like how they send you a picture of your parcel on dispatch - a nice touch!

Only played one session of this last night with the missus. She won, as always, since she has tremdous good luck. I swear, she is luckiest person ever, everything goes her way when we play Mario Party! And she loves to rub it in as well. Ah well, we had some fun. I'm not sure if i like the new style of play yet. It seems very difficult to turn events in your favour, even with the extra dice. I felt considerably less in control of my character's fate than usual, which i'm not sure is good overall. I dont like having too much decided by chance.

This is just my initial opinion though. It may be that's just the way the first board played out. The minigames seemed a little tougher too compared with the norm. We had some memory games which were pretty rough and tricky to win at, so that was good and stressful all at the same time. I already found a game i hate though. It was some stupid door one where you have to guess which door to enter to go down to the next level. I was using my strategy of watching others as well as my own attempts to see what doors were the right ones, but i just seemed to get stuck which frustrated the hell out of me! I swear those doors were lying.

First impressions are average then. Minigames for the most part were good, boss battles were pretty cool, the board was okay but the new format hasn't won me over yet. It's the little things too, like how you get to choose the minigame now out of a choice. I loved the randomness of it before. I guess it will be good when you know all the games by name as it will cause some arguments to break out depending which game the captain picks, but i dont know, change is never easy. Hitting the dice doesn't feel that satisfying either, I know that is a minor element, but i do miss the weighty feel it had in previous games.

Further playing is needed to really 'get' it then, and i do hope it wins me over in the long run.

Edited by Jav_NE

If you want games by release date then you should pre-order online cause most of the time they're cheaper and arrive a day (or in ShopTo's case, 2 days) before the official release date. I've been running through the solo mode, gotta do Bowser's Station and then I'm gonna try and unlock the DK stage. Sucks that you can't play as him :(

I usually do but as said in a previous post I had credit to use in HMV/GAME both of which let me down.

Been playing the game a fair bit now, and have posted my verdict if anyone wants to have a read...

It’s no secret that the Wii’s best days are long behind it with decent releases now few and far between. It’s for this reason then that I suppose I was a little more excited about Mario Party 9 than I ought to be, considering the series has been on a downward slope since its Nintendo 64 debut. This ninth instalment however looks set to finally give the plumber’s parties the fresh lick of paint they deserve. After a few rounds you’ll feel like you’re at an event worth attending rather than one with no girls, awful music and no booze.

Mario Party 9 Review

Nice review Micro.

Urgh! So angry LAME aren't stocking this - I have a game to trade in and was gonna use the credit against this but the shit heads are going down the pan!

Hmm, I just can't justify paying full price for it when I don't think I will play it that much. :shakehead

But I want it!!!

Nice review Micro.

Urgh! So angry LAME aren't stocking this - I have a game to trade in and was gonna use the credit against this but the shit heads are going down the pan!

Hmm, I just can't justify paying full price for it when I don't think I will play it that much. :shakehead

But I want it!!!

Amazon Trade In is a pretty good thing to use.