NEurope
jayseven

N-E Quiz 2011

So let's start this a-fresh, a-new, a-hoy-hoy.

Rules

- Anyone can play

- Answer one question only, until told otherwise.

- Do not attempt to answer another question or re-answer a question until the round master has told you that you were wrong.

- However, if you are certain that someone has attempted a question and gotten it wrong, you are encouraged to provide your own answer before the RM has responded (so long as you haven't answered another question already that you are awaiting comment on!)

- Typically, a round should have 10 questions, each should be worth a point, but a varying scoring method may be allowed if the round is worthy of it.

- Bonus questions and general question format is up to the round master. They may be trivia, quiz, video, pictoral, audial, whatever.

- Questions will be worth 1pt unless otherwise specified.

- It is respectably expected for all involved in the game to partake in constructing a round of their own at some point. To encourage this, the round master will earn a point for providing their questions.

- Games master (myself, for now) has casting vote on any uncertain issue.

- Rules are bound to be amended over time!

1. What was the first song played on MTV? zelll has proven his position as a member of generation x.

2. Name 4 different usernames I have used on the forums over the years (just realised there are at least 7...) Eenuh goes old-skool on us.

3. Why is the Albanian emblem a two-headed eagle? Peeps knows his google!

4. Make a post using five colours that are seemingly 'reserved' for different users via stereotypical posts that you'd expect to read of theirs. Y'get me? Diageo steals it!

5. Which is Chuck Palahniuk's best book, and why? Convince me. Birthday idiot's answer'll do.

6. One for the smokers;

- The police have a name of murder suspect, and know where to find him. They bust down the door and find a bricklayer, fireman, electrician and a teacher playing poker. They immediately rush in and arrest the fireman. Why? Chairdriver took us by surprise!

7. Name five 'disabled' characters that have appeared in 'mainstream tv/cinema in the last decade. Dazz knows his spazzes. :P

8. What's that song about suncream? Paj! knows how to be sensible.

9. How do you hypnotise a chicken? Heroijan is making me veery sleepy.

10. Who was involved in the war where the marathon originated? Mundi Is historically correct.

1) What's sinister about Klein's bottle? Zell remains top of the topology class.

2) What do you consider the world's first modern battle? Give reasons why. Tales flexes his historical muscle.

3) Write a creation story, to explain how the world and humanity came to be. [Point may not be given if not long / involved enough. Should be fantastical.] The Peeps stunned us all.

4) In my iTunes library, I have 10 artists/bands whose name begins with N. Name 3 for the point. Dazz revises last.fm with guile

5) Prove Pythagorus' theorem. Heroicjanitor shows us the right an(gle)(swer).

6) What is the bestselling comic book in history (according to Guiness World Records)? ReZ is the best at what he does.

7) What are the names of Barack and Michelle Obama's children? Eenuh swipes it.

8) Give an example of neologism in action, by quoting a respected/revered author/writer. jayseven shazeems the prize.

9) Whose Shakespeare film adaptation ends with a surreal diva-pop marriage sequence? Paj is really good at film school...

10) Give 8 examples of words/phrases commonly used in day-to-day English which have been appropriated from other languages. [For example: raison d'etre] Ashley, blatantly the most cultured here.

I tried to make questions that are difficult to Google. And so, some of them might be unfair on those who don't know me well. :p

Questions

1. How many members have the word "Nintendo" in their name?Zell knows how to read the thread.

2. Who are the the five members with the most posts and how many does each have?Chairdriver can count like a pro.

3. Name 3 different characters that have been used in my avatar/signatures.Jonnas is brilliant.

4. Fill in the blanks: Leo ______ hosts a program called ______ week _____ Google.Jayseven listens.

5. Find 5 threads with 5 replies only.MoogleViper is determined.

6. Name 4 current regular members with a birthday in February.Eenuh knows how to celebrate.

7. Name 5 members who live in Ireland.The Peeps loves the Irish.

8. What mafia game has the most posts?mr-paul is an excellent hunter.

9. How many times have I posted in the "Drunken Thread FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" thread?HeroicJanitor counted them all.

10. What is my favourite colour?MadDog has his guessing cap on.

1. Name a book which shares its name with a quote from a fictional detective, and name the detective. It was elementary for gmac

2. Name this equation: 30ib986.jpgChairdriver is (co)efficient.

3. Who flew so close to the sun that the wax on his wings melted?(mythology). Eenuh is flying high.

4. Four thieves are arrested. They are each given t-shirts, and told to stand in a line, and D to stand behind a door: A B C | D. A can see B and C, B can see C, no one can see D. No one can see their own shirt. They are told there are two yellow shirts and two black shirts. If one of them can say the colour of his own shirt they can go free. How can this be accomplished, and by whom? (hint, they are all competent) Zell sorts it out with induction!

5. If looking for booby traps, why would a can of silly string help? Diageo is not silly, he will find the traps.

6. How can a pattern in your hair help to determine your sexuality? Dannyboy-the-Dane has it (cow)licked.

7. In a room there are three light bulbs. If you are outside the locked room with the three switches, and are only allowed one trip inside(closing the door again on your way out), how do you identify which switch belongs to which bulb? (hint, it might take a long time). Fierce_LiNk shines some light on the problem.

8. Name two swimmers to win more than 6 gold medals in a single Olympics. MadDog applies some spitzshine

9. What is a government run by women called? Jonnas runs this place.

10. Which orchestral instrument plays a note before a concert to which the other instruments are tuned? Peeps is tuned-in.

Scoreboards after Round 4

4 - Heroijan

4 - eenuh

4 - zell

4 - chairdriver

4 - peeps

3 - diageo

3 - jayseven

2 - Dazz

2 - paj

2 - Jonnas

2 - Maddog

1 - mundi

1 - ellmeister

1 - Tales

1 - ReZ

1 - Ashley

1 - Moogle

1 - mr-paul

1 - gmac

1 - Dannyboy

1 - Flink

Edited by jayseven

Yay a quiz! I was actually thinking about reviving something like this some time in the summer when I have infinite spare time. Anyway...

1. I think it was "Video Killed The Radio Star".

Correct!

(Just realised this is in the wrong place. Shoving it in playground now)

Oh finally.

8) Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) - Baz Luhrman

10. It was Persians and Greeks (The city states of Athena and Plataea if you want to be specific)

7. Name five 'disabled' characters that have appeared in 'mainstream tv/cinema in the last decade.

- Timmy from South Park

- Jimmy from South Park

- Billy Black from The Twilight Saga

- Jake Sully from Avatar

- Charles Xavier from X-Men

it was indeed persians and greeks! Plataea aided Athens (to clear up your ambiguity). I had a brief lesson on it today but did indeed have to google the intricities :P

And gonna have to accept Dazz's answer as well. Darnit.

it was indeed persians and greeks! Plataea aided Athens (to clear up your ambiguity). I had a brief lesson on it today but did indeed have to google the intricities :P

And gonna have to accept Dazz's answer as well. Darnit.

It was very memorable learning about that, the teachers told us how the Greek soldier ran all that distance to warn about the Persian invasion and I asked the teacher if that was the origins of running a Marathon.

He scratched his chin and said no, then we all looked at each other very confused.

He was not a good teacher.

9) You hold it's face to the ground and draw a line on the ground from its beak. It will just stare at the line. QI ftw :p

I like quizzes... but all the easy ones have been answered :(

I can answer the Albania one but only because of google... so I'll leave it :p

Can't wait for the next round lol

Fuck it then, I'm a points whore!

The eagle is the national and ethnic symbol of the Albanians and was used for heraldic purposes during the Middle Ages by a number of Albanian noble families, including the Kastrioti, whose most famous member was Gjergj Kastriot Skanderbeg. The Kastrioti's coat of arms, depicting a double-headed eagle on a red field, became famous when he led a revolt against the Ottoman Empire that resulted in brief independence for some regions of Albania from 1443 to 1478. It is generally thought that the eagle derived from the double-headed eagle of the House of Palaiologos, one of the ruling dynasties of the Byzantine Empire.

Originally the heads themselves represent the dual sovereignty of the Emperor (secular and religious) and/or dominance of the Byzantine Emperors over both East and West.

This is being done for a point.

Edited by Dyson

I'll accept that.

Did you know, Gjergj Kastriot Skanderbeg is the name of what used to be the world's finest brandy - but the maker (i forget if it was the general himself) took the recipe to his grave.

The dual-headed eagle represents 'looking both ways' -- east and west to the invading forces they had to deal with from the byzantines and the romans over the years.

(my brother-in-law is albanian)

Dyson; not fully compliant with the question :P Try again if you wish.

mr-paul has proven his position as a member of generation x.

Is mr-paul telepathic? :o

I'd rather do this on tumblr.

I R ARTIPOINT

This question looks like a question for men. Ugly boring men. Wait.. don't get me wrong, I'm not sexist..

This is some serious bullshit quiz you got right here. For starters there's no question about music. Music is my life. And Street Fighter. I mean, come on. You must have to be utterly and completely totally brain dead at birth in order to miss them out.

4. Make a post using five colours that are seemingly 'reserved' for different users via stereotypical posts that you'd expect to read of theirs. Y'get me?

It's why I didn't go for question 4, can only think of 4 colour posters lol. Funny though!

6) The fireman is the only one that's necessarily male, and all the others are women.

ffffffffffffffffffffff..

I'm finding it impossible to find a fifth. I think someone used to post in orange..

You're all bad, and forgetting one of my favourite members.

You must have missed it Chair, he's got me there.

Santa is a terrible influence.

I R ARTICHOKE

Dwarf is a twat.

Negativity negativity negativity.

Barcelona played very badly last night.

I'm not going to say I am good at this, because clearly I am not.

Edited by Diageo
Automerged Doublepost

6) The fireman is the only one that's necessarily male, and all the others are women.

I've never heard of a firewoman before. Do they exist?

You must have missed it Chair, he's got me there.

Santa is a terrible influence.

I R ARTICHOKE

Dwarf is a twat.

Negativity negativity negativity.

Barcelona played very badly last night.

I'm not going to say I am good at this, because clearly I am not.

Bastard, I was gonna do this. :(