N-Europe

Dancer in the Dark (Movie)

Confused how there is no thread for this.

I would like to read people talking about this movie. Anyway, I don't even know what made me do it this morning, (I think I was just on IMDB, then looked at Paj!'s facebook or something and pondered) but I discovered that the movie had David Morse, and then that it was English (I assumed/thought it was foreign or just a really weird film that I wouldn't have interest in) like...my mind assumed it would be some convoluted drug trip thing or something, don't ask me why because its just my mind being funny.

So anyway I've loved David Morse in everything I've seen him in so I looked on YouTube for a trailer, saw about 5 seconds, realised it was English and seemed to have a plot (lol) and so I downloaded it.

dancer-in-the-dark-2000-stor.jpg

As it started I was glad that it got right into it. Not sure what the opening titles was all about/was meant to signify (Someone will tell me?) anyway, I'm not a big fan of the shaky camera style when not in a documentary type film, but I persisted.

Was pleased to see some of my favourite TV actors pop up, specifically (IMDB time) Peter Stormare from Prison Break and The Lost World, and actual fucking-G Zeljko Ivanek who is just the coolest fucking "suit" in the world, seriously I love that dude. He's a pimp in The Event.

Anyway, I "nothing" Bjork, but her performance was obviously pretty jaw dropping. I really "liked" the story. Obviously I mean....I fucking hated the story it was evil, but it was a good story to tell, as I love stories.

The interesting thing was, up until maybe half way through I was feeling like there wasn't much emotional investment there. Like....I was finding it difficult to have the connection. I don't know. But ...SPOILERS.

By the time she gets to the prison its pretty fucked up. Hell for pretty much the whole movie all I was saying to myself was "Wow this is pretty fucked up."

I think one of my favourite (lol favourite) moments/scenes was the one where Jeff/Geoff is talking to her through the glass in the prison. He asks the powerful question of "Why did you have him" and that just...makes so many thoughts go through your head. Like....just.....how dare you ask this to this woman about to die/actually you've got a point/you're asking out of desperation ~Why have you made a situation where I can't be with you~ etc etc etc and it just makes you question her as well...like....gah.

Pretty immense.

And Jesus. The final scenes. When they bought her meal in and she is just sitting there crying/fucked my eyes began to fill, then when she is bought up to the noose right after the song I just fucking broke down. Outburst. Just....fucking broken. Horrible/amazing/badeuphoria/not-an-artichoke-in-sight.

Fucked up as hell. Then when she started singing I kinda stopped and the act was done and I was fine/not fine but not in an outburst. And I lay broken.

A staggering story, told uniquely and performed exquisitely.

Not sure what the opening titles was all about/was meant to signify (Someone will tell me?)

Maybe it's a visualization of turning blind. Of course that's not what you see when you loose your eyesight (I guess), but I hope you see my point.

The interesting thing was, up until maybe half way through I was feeling like there wasn't much emotional investment there.

I think there was a lot of emotional investment. It was the perfect build up to such a devestating ending.

killed Bill...you know she was doing the right thing (in a way). You know she was doing the wrong thing. Which is more important? Morally right, legally wrong? That's what lays the foundation for the second half.

Well, of course it's not only this scene. But I think it's one of the most important, maybe the most important.

Then there's the thing about her turning blind and knowing her son is going to suffer the same fate. Does this justify her actions?

The thing about Dancer in the Dark (for me at least) is that I always thought something good is going to happen. I guess it's because of my experience with movies. 99% of the films I've seen always make you feel better at least one time.

But everytime there was a chance of something good happening in Dancer in the Dark I got kicked in the face.

in the final scene. It actually hurt.

Edited by drahkon

So... I hear this forum likes bjork.....

Almost starting to make me miss the times Tori Amos popped up every five minutes in threads.

This is a good enough movie though, although the ending did me lol.. Sick humour that I have

Not for everyone mind. By the way is it true that she spat on the director every day while filming because she hated him so much?

223374_10150576612280581_509970580_18450258_1449535_n.jpg

I love! Could be a Milla Jovovich-esque vehicle, set in a dystopian future. In 3-D of course.

---

I would never imagine ReZ ever taking the time to watch a film like this, but glad you did and realised it was amazing.

One of my favourite films.

I would never imagine ReZ ever taking the time to watch a film like this, but glad you did and realised it was amazing.

I think you misunderstand my taste (generally). I will read any comic no matter what genre, and I would watch (pretty much) any film, no matter what genre. I just had strange and unfounded preconceptions about this movie.

And I will pretty much NOT read any book, no matter genre, lol.

Revolutionary Road is still shit though. :p

Not for everyone mind. By the way is it true that she spat on the director every day while filming because she hated him so much?

She swore never to act again after this film and reportedly (as in, it's confirmed by other peole on set) she started eating a shoe. :blush:

He gets amazing performances out of his actors, so I'm over it. :D

And many actors actively come to him/find working with him enlightening. Charlotte Gainsbourg is about to star in her second film in a row with him at the helm, Willem Dafoe did two...Kirsten Dunst and Keifer Sutherland (not who you'd think of as "von trier"-ish) are in his new film Melancholia...I think his reputation means many actors who want a challenge seek him out.

But yes. He's a depressive and openly talks about how it affects the filmmaking process.

He gets amazing performances out of his actors, so I'm over it. :D

And many actors actively come to him/find working with him enlightening. Charlotte Gainsbourg is about to star in her second film in a row with him at the helm, Willem Dafoe did two...Kirsten Dunst and Keifer Sutherland (not who you'd think of as "von trier"-ish) are in his new film Melancholia...I think his reputation means many actors who want a challenge seek him out.

But yes. He's a depressive and openly talks about how it affects the filmmaking process.

He is undoubtedly one of the most interest directors today, and his work reflects it - for better or for worse. :heh: