N-Europe

Foreign Music

drahkon

If we're going cheesy, we might as well go Eurovision!

I have to thank you. I've been wondering what this song was called for a while but then forgot about it. I'll remember that now, lmao. I love this song from Eurovision.

Very awesome.

Also, I adore Utada Hikaru's voice.

I also like some j-pop and j-rock. At the moment, I'm listening to Maximum the Hormone, they're a group who sing the start and end titles to one of the most awesome shows ever, Death Note.

Well I guess most bands not Thin Lizzy, U2 or The Chorrs would be considered "Foreign Music" to me... my favourite bands being Iron Maiden (English) and Metallica (USA)

But as I've spent quite a bit of time in the Philippines there are a few bands from there that I have come to enjoy. Most bands there tend to have a mix of English and Tagalog (Filipino) lyrics, few examples or an english and tagalog song from a few bands

Slapshock my fav Filipino band, seen them live twice : peace:

Direction (English song)

Adios (Tagalog song)

Bamboo

Much Has Been Said (English song... nice relaxing song)

Hallelujah (Tagalog song... bit of english in the middle... I can actually sing this song perfectly on Karaoke even though I don't speak the language and have no idea what the lyrics mean :heh:)

I've mention in the rmx thread.. I'm not really into pop, with some exceptions.. That is, unless it's foreign. I can, for some strange reason, enjoy some pure pop music when it's in another language, where it's massively popular in its own country, but never (or barely) heard of here. I don't buy many CD's so I'm a bit out of it, and I also barely watch TV nowadays, but few years back, I was up-to-date with album releases of the artists from the Spanish version of Star Academy :D. I must add that, regarding foreign languages, I only understand English, and German to lesser extent. With French and Spanish, I'm lucky if I get a few words out of it, let alone simple sentences. With that said, some examples in various languages (or no language in 1 case):

Chenoa - Todo irá bien

One of those Spanish Star Academy stars. Star Academy was huge there at that time.

Vicente Amigo - Tres notas para decir te quiero

I love flamenco, but since I haven't kept up with it, and I'm bad with names, I don't know a vocal example from the top of my head. But vocals (well lyrics to be precise) aren't necessary for flamenco.

Shakira - Inevitable

I love Shakira, when she sings Spanish. Wasn't sure what song to embed.

Ojos de brujo - Todo tiende

Band from Barcelona. They mix flamenco with.. Other stuff. I embedded a song I'm not familiar with, I should get their other albums (I got Barí). Saw them live at North Sea Jazz. Ok, enough with the Spanish.

Anggun - Cesse la pluie

I got to know her from a electronic jazz track which she did the vocals for (Cam ft Anggun - Summer in Paris if you want to know). I'll end this post with another French track.

Wir sind Helden - Von hier an blind

Didn't know I could enjoy German popmusic untill I heard this! I'm certainly not into metal or similar stuff, which the Germans are probably most known, so I'll skip those if you don't mind ;). I do like Kraftwerk though ;). Kraftwerk was also what I though of when I first saw this thread, but someone beat me to it :D :p.

Sara Tavares - Balancê

More guitar, but now with lovely Portuguese vocals.

Sensual - Tique-tim

More Portuguese.. Brazilian sound this time.. From The Netherlands?? That's right, this is a Dutch band. Although granted, I should just post a Brazilian example ;). Ok why not.

Fernanda Porto - Sambassim

A genuine Brazilian example.

Utada Hikaru - Passion

Considering my love for other Japanese stuff, I should be more into J-pop, but Ultra blue is the only J-pop album I have. I should remedy that some day. This also happens to be a great video.

Edit:

Ok, I noticed Dazz posted some stuff, but I didn't notice he posted this song (I skimmed it, sorry Dazz ;)). However, he didn't post the original video, which is this one. Which is too awesome, so I've corrected Dazz's mistake.

Spinvis - Voor ik vergeet

A Dutch example. I mean, it's foreign to you, right? I absolutely despise contempory Dutch music (in the Dutch language that is, things like Marco Borsato. Don't google him for your own sake (and he's not even the worst)). This is the one exception, in my opinion. I like 80's Dutch music though, some great songs from that time.

Mylène Farmer - Tristana

I'll leave you with a French, melancholic, fiery red-heared woman, who simply must be mentioned in a foreign music thread. I didn't know what song to post, but I wasn't familiar with most of her videos, they can get epic, I've noticed.. So enjoy this 10 minute fairytale (album version obviously isn't that long). If she's doing another tour, I'd love to see her live one day.

Edited by Sméagol

Spinvis - Voor ik vergeet

A Dutch example. I mean, it's foreign to you, right? I absolutely despise contempory Dutch music (in the Dutch language that is, things like Marco Borsato. Don't google him for your own sake (and he's not even the worst)). This is the one exception, in my opinion. I like 80's Dutch music though, some great songs from that time.

Spinvis is quite nice in my opinion. Soft and mellow and quite poetic. Though I should listen to more of their songs as I only know a few heh.

Reminds me of the song "Onderweg" by Abel, which I quite like. Though it's the only song of them I know haha.

Which is what I mean.. That's a bad example in my opinion ;). I hate that Abel guy. But Birgitte Schuurman (the girl in the video) is hot ;).

I was comtemplating posting another bad example just for laughs.. But no. Instead, some other good examples:

Doe maar - 32 jaar

That's from the 80's.

HET - Ik heb geen zin om op te staan

From the 60's. Hilarious lyrics by the way, too bad most of you can't understand it. About a guy who's doesn't want to get up to get to work.. Familiar feeling :D.

@Mokong.. I actually have some Philippine roots as well, but I don't care for them for the most part. My mother is actually leaving for the Phillipines in a few days, but meh. I get violent whenever I hear Freddy Aguilar. That said.. To offer some contrast to the videos you posted, here's a sweet Tagalog song. Well, at least, it sounds sweet.

Nikki Gil -Sakayan Ng Jeep

There are some Danish bands I'd recommend to people. A lot of Danish artists sing in English, though, so it may not have that "foreign" feel. Anyway ...

Dizzy Mizz Lizzy

An extremely popular Danish band that has been around since the '80s. Has a very distinct sound.

Nephew

A newer band which has also gained a large fan base. They're known for their semi-nonsensical lyrics and their mixing of the Danish and English languages.

• 4 weeks later...