N-Europe

New Adventures in the Old World

Hamishmash

naow_title_card_by_spune-d2zovoq.jpg

New Adventures in the Old World is a comedy of terrors! GhostBusters meets Charles Dickens.

London, 1894 - a city of secrets! You never know what lurks behind the next cobble stoned corner, but you can be prepared!

Follow the continuing, spooky and funny adventures of the Handsome Chaps, a Victorian gentlemen's club tasked with solving all the paranormal problems threatening the Empire.

READ ALL THE ISSUES HERE

http://www.newadventuresoldworld.com/

It is also all available on deviantART and on the Facebook page. Just search "New Adventures Old World"

And if you like NAOW, please tell me and spread the word! I'm improving constantly, and next issue I'm gonna totally up my game in terms of drawing (as I've finally learned how to colour properly in photoshop!)

I hope you like it. :)

Did you read any of it?

I haven't yet, no, but I plan to. :)

I've read the three volumes, and I must say I'm enjoying the story so far. :) As a huge steampunk fan, I love the concept material, and you're great at nailing that 19th century style in your art.

There are a few things, though. While I love the style you're going for, having seen your other artwork I can't help but feel that the art in the comic is lacking a little. I feel it could do with a bit of a polishing, perhaps some cleaner lines. Also, while the dialogue and overall writing is good, I think it would benefit from being a bit tighter in some places.

Still, merely suggestions for potential improvement. Overall, I like it. :)

All your criticisms are so totally the same ones I have so don't worry about it. I'm actually very embarrassed to show this comic because I find the drawings so horrible bad that I don't like people thinking this is a good example of what I can achieve.

The next issue, Witch's Chimney, is going to be a bit of a reboot of the franchise, it's been a year now of Edith as part of the team, fighting ghosts and stuff so now they're all experts and yeah... the art will improve as well too. (The main reason it looks bad here is because I drew it by hand and have been learning colouring in photoshop as I go... now I've had some proper lessons it'll look much better, I can assure you. :D)

And yes, the cop was meant to be Franklin but the design changed between Issue 1 and 2 (they were drawn about 6 months apart from each other) and yeah... it's not too important to the rest of the series.

All your criticisms are so totally the same ones I have so don't worry about it. I'm actually very embarrassed to show this comic because I find the drawings so horrible bad that I don't like people thinking this is a good example of what I can achieve.

The next issue, Witch's Chimney, is going to be a bit of a reboot of the franchise, it's been a year now of Edith as part of the team, fighting ghosts and stuff so now they're all experts and yeah... the art will improve as well too. (The main reason it looks bad here is because I drew it by hand and have been learning colouring in photoshop as I go... now I've had some proper lessons it'll look much better, I can assure you. :D)

And yes, the cop was meant to be Franklin but the design changed between Issue 1 and 2 (they were drawn about 6 months apart from each other) and yeah... it's not too important to the rest of the series.

Good to hear! You've got me excited for the next issue! :D Besides, most webcomics, when you go back to their beginnings, look absolutely weird and often not very good. :heh:

Oh, it wasn't the design that threw me off, it was more the fact that I wondered about his role and behaviour as a cop when we learned who he actually was. A bit like the way that Wells's transition from "we think he's a bad guy" to "he's actually a good guy" also seemed a bit clunky. This was what I meant by the writing needing to be tightened up a bit. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Well here is the very first image from Issue 4: The Witch's Chimney.

tumblr_li9hijFCKN1qe07iuo1_500.jpg

What do you make of the new style?

Lovely. Not such a fan of the fog effect as it's a bit too obviously photoshop but ya know. The watercolour and pencils combo works very well/

Question: what do you do, jobwise? Or assuming you're a student, any idea what you're going to do? I'm assuming this it'll be artsyness related.

I find it hard to read on my computer, for some reason.

I'm not sure if the reader scales the images down or if that's their actual size, but sometimes with the script writing it just seems tricky to me. Also I'm terribly lazy and it's huge pages, harder to read in bits? I dunno. Something makes me want to stop reading it when I start, and I don't know why!

I find it hard to read on my computer, for some reason.

I'm not sure if the reader scales the images down or if that's their actual size, but sometimes with the script writing it just seems tricky to me. Also I'm terribly lazy and it's huge pages, harder to read in bits? I dunno. Something makes me want to stop reading it when I start, and I don't know why!

The next issue (the one with the picture above) is more or less a mid-series reboot to get people that found the first few issues trick into the series. It will explain everything that's happened so far, reintroduce the characters and the whole thing is getting a redesign.

It's more colourful, more detailed, the characters are more consistent, the text is much easier to understand and the pages will be horizontal, not vertical, so will require no scrolling and are perfect for viewing on the computer.

So when that's launched I hope you can read it and maybe get into it enough to go back to try and reread what you've missed.

The next issue (the one with the picture above) is more or less a mid-series reboot to get people that found the first few issues trick into the series. It will explain everything that's happened so far, reintroduce the characters and the whole thing is getting a redesign.

It's more colourful, more detailed, the characters are more consistent, the text is much easier to understand and the pages will be horizontal, not vertical, so will require no scrolling and are perfect for viewing on the computer.

So when that's launched I hope you can read it and maybe get into it enough to go back to try and reread what you've missed.

This post makes me very happy. It addresses all the things that bothered me about the first three issues, meaning there will only be Certified Hamishmash Awesome left in the reboot. Can't wait! :D