N-Europe

Bass guitars

Sarka

Well, I have suddenly addicted to bass's. Although, I know nothing about them... anyone know of any semi-good brands, or tell me brands I should avoide. I was thinking of getting somehting like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WESLEY-BM-SERIES-ELECTRIC-METALLIC-GOLD-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ7373756480QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is it any good? Any ideas. My budget isn't the biggest in the world, well, it's very very small infact. About £130.

Thanks

hehe, to be honest, a beginers amp is usally classed around 10w :P

practice amp is up to 30w, then anything above that generally is pretty loud :x

i was playing a 250w bass amp, at a practice room the other week, i don't think i went over 2 on the little volume dial.

I've been playing bass for a few years now, and I still use my first one: a Peavey Milestone III. It's a great bass for beginners, and it's still an excellent bass when you're more advanced. I bought it along with a 50W Peavey amp, great for beginners too. You can't really go wrong with these, they're cheap (as I recall) and it's quality material.

Now I also have another amp, a 500W Randall amp (incredibly good for jam sessions and gigs) but of course it cost a lot more. I also plan on buying a Washburn or Musicman bass in the future.

I've been playing bass for a few years now, and I still use my first one: a Peavey Milestone III.

I had one of those!! In Metallic blue!! Then I swapped it for a Squier Strat after I got a Rickenbacker 4003... mmm..... Rickenbacker.... *drools*

Anyway, Harmony Central is a good place for reviews. They have pretty much every bass ever on it*! http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/00all.html

*may not be true...

It depends what sorts of music you're into and are likely to play. If you want a big metally sound, go for something like an Ibanez - more pickups equals more POWER! (actual quote from a Dawson's employee). If not metal, then I'd reccomend a Squier Jazz or P-Bass for a beginner. The Jazz has quite a distinct sound, I like it for it's slap-bass qualities. While the P is less distinct, it has a a greater range of noises which it can produce.

But the key thing to remember is; more pickups equals more POWER!

Thanks for the responses so far, and sarkas_girly, yuor bass is not what normal people have, it's way to big and loud for my non-trussy-like house.

Anyone have any more ideas for an acyual base, I'm looking through http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/00all.html but it's a really long list...

Oh, and the kinda of music is kind indie/rockish.

Sarka, you're probably best going to your local guitar shop and having a chat with one of the sales reps. The responses you get from here will probably be very convoluted and it'll be so much easier just going down the shop.

<<<< look, it says I live in Shetland. The place that sells bases are incredibly bad. I'll see if any bassists I know have heard about this Ibanez you guys have mentioned, they seem like a nice company. :p

Thanks for the responses so far, and sarkas_girly, yuor bass is not what normal people have, it's way to big and loud for my non-trussy-like house.

hey, I made it trussyish once... dont judge me D: or my bass for that matter, i lub it!