N-Europe

Fitness 2011

Beast

I've managed to maintain my weight for about a year. Have been demonic in the gym, but not having a very good diet is not really helpful. I'm struggling to maintain both for any length of time. Ever since christmas I've been a bit lax in the gym too... but then my diet is improving.... haha. My bmi is a pretty shameful 39, just below 20 stone at 5'11.

Having a personal trainer is the best method possible for doing whatever you want to achieve fitness wise. Its motivation and ideas that they give you more than anything. To me things like console games should only be used as a booster to a complete exercise routine rather than a basis for it...

I find weight loss groups very effective for weight loss, because you do strive for more when you have to stand up in front of a class (even if they don't see your weight) because the rewards are very satisfying. And you CAN lose weight without exercise, but its not as quick and its just not the same.

I've still not found the complete "cure" to being a fatty yet... sadly my genetics mean I'm built like a brick shithouse anyway...

I've been a huge fan of TBL since it first started showing on Sky a few years ago. Although I have to say TBL UK is bollox compared to the US and Aussie version...

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except this thread isn't about "keeping fit" it's about losing weight and regardless if you consume 2000 calories and your body only uses up 1500 calories your energy requirements are met through your intake and thus there is no need to use whatever stored energy your body has and thus you will remain the same size.

It's great if you want to maintain your fitness eating crap and burning it off is a great way to maintain your size but that isn't what this thread is about nor the advice that was being asked for.

This post probably needs tidying up / clarification but it's home time now so screw that.

True. But then again I did say... wanna lose weight? Eat well, excercise. I lost 40kg in 8 months and it wasn't that hard. There's no magic formula, just move!

All I see is people mostly eating weird things and doing very controlled excercise patterns with personal trainers and all that high maintenance bullshit. Why bother? Get on the street and start running around!!! And don't give me excuses that "it's cold" or whatever the hell... It's -3ºC where I live and I still do it, gladly!

Drop whatever the fuck your doing and just adhere to 2 rules: eat pleanty, but eat healthy... and excercise at least 2 hours/day.

Done, I guarantee you'll be losing 5kgs per month (if you're a guy and you're more than 10kgs overweight).

Works for everybody. EVERYBODY.

2 hours a day is a bit much surely...? Too much exercise can be ineffective. the usual recommended amount would be 2 maybe 3 hours a week. You aren't exercising properly if it takes you that long to raise your HR enough and exhaust your energy.

I do agree though - healthy eating (and a little bit of portion control) + exercise is a guaranteed formula.

I think people who have a hard time losing weight should keep their dieting and exercise simple and not too demanding. Losing the weight has to be a lifestyle change, too many people lose drastic amounts of weight too quick and then pile it back on very fast because they havn't lost the weight in a healthy way.

I always think losing the weight is half the battle, keeping it off is the other half.

2 hours a day is a bit much surely...? Too much exercise can be ineffective. the usual recommended amount would be 2 maybe 3 hours a week. You aren't exercising properly if it takes you that long to raise your HR enough and exhaust your energy.

2 hours a day is fine (That's pretty much what I do). The issue is when you tax your muscles too much but that's only with weight training. You can do cardio for as long as you want.

I do agree though - healthy eating (and a little bit of portion control) + exercise is a guaranteed formula.

Totally agree with this post. If you can train for longer than an hour your not training with enough intensity, which is what you need to burn fat/gain muslce.

2 hours a day is fine (That's pretty much what I do). The issue is when you tax your muscles too much but that's only with weight training. You can do cardio for as long as you want.

Glad someone pointed this out

I've been a huge fan of TBL since it first started showing on Sky a few years ago. Although I have to say TBL UK is bollox compared to the US and Aussie version...

This, I 100% agree with! TBL USA and Australian are both awesome. TBL UK is just shite. I like Jillian Michaels, I think she's awesome.

doing too much cardio is really hard on your joints, and can leave you prone to injury..

My mother has unreversable osteoarthritis in her knee from overdoing cardio, and she probably only matched what you are doing. She can barely walk sometimes and has to do non weight bearing exercise only... she isn't even 50 yet.

@Dazz: i love the aussie one, they are so flippin hardcore. I also <3 Jillian. Fiery and gorgeous :P

Edited by Raining_again

A lot of the cardio I do is cycling, thus very low (virtually none, I imagine) impact. Rowing is similar, so is cross training, swimming of course. So it's not the cardio that is the issue, it's the movement involved in the cardio.

I cycled over 300 miles in 6 days last year, I had no joint issues - or aches at all. Other people, I'm sure a couple people here, have done even longer stretches of absurd cycling with no problem.

Not to mention professional athletes.

Edited by Daft

Cycling is a lot better than running I think, simply because running puts so much pressure on your joints/knees. I hate it to be honest, can't stand doing it for too long. I like running during squash because it's not a constant boring pace. But jogging is just urgh, always the same. Also I've been having problems with my right hipjoint thing, and I noticed during jogging a few times it hurt more. Stupid body breaking down on me. =P

@Dazz: i love the aussie one, they are so flippin hardcore. I also <3 Jillian. Fiery and gorgeous :P

YESSS! The Australian one is the best, they're such bitches to each other and it's funny too.

Plus Jillian Michaels is one of the most inspirational people for me when it comes to weight loss or even life for that matter.

"Nothing in life worth having comes for free, you got to work for it!"- so true!

Cycling is a lot better than running I think, simply because running puts so much pressure on your joints/knees. I hate it to be honest, can't stand doing it for too long. I like running during squash because it's not a constant boring pace. But jogging is just urgh, always the same. Also I've been having problems with my right hipjoint thing, and I noticed during jogging a few times it hurt more. Stupid body breaking down on me. =P

Yeah, I used to run every night after school without fail. I used to hate it. Had to really push through. It can hurt you ankles, knees and back. I got a good pair of running shoes, which helped a lot, and after about six weeks (I think it's like a six week hump you have to get over) I really started to enjoy it. It became a real release. Runner's high and all. Absolutely meditative. Was wonderful.

It's something you have to really push for before you can really embrace it though.

Also, running on a running machine is crap. I never do it. Movement is half the joy of running. Running is not just about appreciating your body's abilities and limits (and pushing them further) but also the space you inhabit. It really can be a stunning thing.

Yeah, I used to run every night after school without fail. I used to hate it. Had to really push through. It can hurt you ankles, knees and back. I got a good pair of running shoes, which helped a lot, and after about six weeks (I think it's like a six week hump you have to get over) I really started to enjoy it. It became a real release. Runner's high and all. Absolutely meditative. Was wonderful.

It's something you have to really push for before you can really embrace it though.

Also, running on a running machine is crap. I never do it. Movement is half the joy of running.

Oh I used to go running lots a few years ago. Did it at least twice a week with my mom and aunt. We would go and run in this forest type place, which I love. But I still just hated the running itself. I like the feeling you get afterwards though, but you get that with any kind of exercise. Felt silly to do something I don't really enjoy. I only went to keep mom happy. =P

I need to find a squash buddy darnit. Someone who is equally bad as I am haha.

Also, running on a running machine is crap. I never do it. Movement is half the joy of running. Running is not just about appreciating your body's abilities and limits (and pushing them further) but also the space you inhabit. It really can be a stunning thing.

I hate running on a treadmill, it's unenjoyable. Plus the running machines squeak and make me sound really heavy even when I run lightly....:blush:

I need to think of some new exercises to do. I don't know what sport to take up, really. I've been thinking of doing this for a while but not sure what to do.

I have a feeling parkour is not for everyone though. I know I'm too clumsy to try any of that. I'd just end up breaking an arm or a leg on the first day. =P

Dazz: I guess the best way to find a sport is to try them out. Just look at what is available around you or what you can do, and try it. If you don't like it, no harm done, you can just try something else. =)

Yeah, running on a machine is awful. It's unnatural and counter intuitive.

Take up parkour. It's bodyweight training, which is amazing, and you can do it anywhere.

I would actually like to do that but I can't climb for shit, pmsl. Plus, don't you have to do those fancy backflips and stuff to do that? It's all I ever see when I watch videos.

Is it just running, jumping and climbing places? No backflips, frontflips, sideflips and whatever flips?

(Sorry if I sound n00bish but I have no clue, lol)

I have a feeling parkour is not for everyone though. I know I'm too clumsy to try any of that. I'd just end up breaking an arm or a leg on the first day. =P

Dazz: I guess the best way to find a sport is to try them out. Just look at what is available around you or what you can do, and try it. If you don't like it, no harm done, you can just try something else. =)

Also, I'm the same as you, haha. Knowing me, if I tried Parkour, I'd break bones on my first try, lol.

I think I will try some sports out. I'm really into DDR (which is an official sport, I'm happy to hear) and I want to enter some competitions soon when I get better. I'll have to write a list and then try them, haha.

You only ever do what you're comfortable with in parkour (Power is nothing without control). Flips aren't part of parkour but some, very few, people add them in.

Most of it is running, balancing and jumping (and climbing, but less interms of height and more in terms of traversing). A lot of people have the impression it is dangerous but it really isn't as long as you're sensible (I broke my leg in three places while rollerblading when I was younger - I wouldn't do parkour if anything like that was a major concern).

The point of parkour is to understand your movement and your body's limits (and to expand on those limits). Also, it's about understanding the space you're in and how to traverse it. Ultimately it is about flow and efficiency of movement but you can only really achieve those once you gain control of both yourself and your surroundings.

Basically, it rocks. You should give it a go. If you don't like it, at least you gave it a shot. :smile:

You guys are okay now in terms of joints because you are young. My mum did nothing but cycling, she was okay for years doing it, then one day her knee locked up and its been trashed ever since. All it started with was a little niggle that got worse and worse until she ended up in casualty. The only exercise that is truly non weight bearing is swimming.

I'm not trying to patronise or anything, I just don't want to see anyone have to go through the suffering my mum has had to... steroid injections in her knee, walking stick, and painkillers for LIFE.

Exercise at it's very basic core is tearing your muscle fibre and rebuilding them. Exercising the same muscles everyday without rest is completely counter productive. You're not giving your body time and your muscle the proper time to recover. There's also a good chance you'll injure yourself.