N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clocks go forward on Sunday 27th!... Better start working this out now! :p

That's just totally blown my mind. Our clocks went forward this weekend so I had assumed they did there too. No wonder everything has seemed a bit weird today.

I'm actually not sure what the coverage is here. I'm hoping we at least have the BBC commentary though. Not sure I want to sit through a load of yanks talking about it. Might have to stream the radio coverage to listen to while watching the TV.

I'm really getting excited now, been watching the build up clips on BBC this morning, should be a great season opening.

Ah cool I didn't realise they'd put up the next Preview Video's...

New For 2011

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9419163.stm

I hadn't thought about the insane ammount of marbles there's gonna be as a result of the tyres! Better keep off of those!! :D

KERS was fun in '09, but they are perhaps right in that if it's gonna be in F1 it should be on all cars, it does seem a bit unfair otherwise. I do wonder whether we'll get to the end of the year and see that it was a bit of a waste of time again. Same with the rear wing.

New Driver

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9421081.stm

---

Also saw this on the autosports forum... made me laugh! :D

m8zmzop3bay5diap4yk6.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

From the file marked "Interesting but Not Unexpected"- Horner does the equivalent making googly-eyes and soft cooing noises towards Hamilton from across the Daily Telegraph. You've got to think that if McLaren can't prove themselves able to consistently deliver a car and Red Bull are, for all Hamilton's history with the team, it may only be a matter of time.

I dunno I think there's a good chance Vettel will move to Ferrari in 2015, a likely year for Fernando to call it a day (2 years of the new regs). He's already expressed his dream to drive for them one day... he's just in no rush to do so.

Vettel and Kubica at Ferrari for me.

Then maybe Lewis to Red Bull.

I've never heard Lewis express a desire to drive for Ferrari, in fact I think I've heard him say something along the lines of 'whilst for many drivers Ferrari may be the goal for their career, for him, not so much'.

EDIT: Mind you, I'm not sure Lewis and Red Bull exactly 'fit', McLaren really do seem the team for him.

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm not so sure Vettel will be in a Ferrari by then. Fernando fits into that team exactly as they would want and I think more and more they will build the team around him for a good while to come. If that happens the combination could be very successful, and I think we'd be looking at a Schumacher-esque length of time for him being there. While that's the case no other big names are going to be getting a drive there.

I think we could be looking at a very long period of drivers staying in the same team, everyone seems very well suited in their current cars.

I can see Lewis with Robert at Ferrari once Alonso leaves tbh.

Maybe not with Robert but I agree it's a distant possibility - but more distant then Red Bull.

How about Webber, with his 1 year extension deal? Retirement can't be far off for him at any rate. Kubica with Vettel next year?

Well I expect a drive to open up and Red Bull soon, because I don't think Webbers looking to stay in F1 any more than 2 years, may even go at the end of this year.

Depending on how he performs this year Massa may also feel like a change come the end of the season.

I don't think they will ask Massa to leave, because like you say, it works out well for Ferrari to have him playing second fiddle to Fernando (they know it, even if they don't say it)... but maybe he'll grow some balls and look elsewhere.

I would expect Kubica to go back to Renault next year, because him knowing the team, it will be a far more comfortable environment for him to get back into driving again.

Edited by Retro_Link

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90008

Pirelli reveals final colour markings

1300461951.jpg

Pirelli has announced the colours that it will use to distinguish the six different types of tyre to be used during the 2011 season.

Each tyre will carry its own colouring on the Pirelli and PZero logos affixed to the sidewall.

The six colours are as follows:

Wet - orange

Intermediate - light blue

Supersoft - red

Soft – yellow

Medium – white

Hard – silver

Pirelli will take the hard and soft compounds to the first three races of the season, meaning that silver and yellow tyres will be first to make an appearance in Australia.

I like that it looks like it says F-Zero on the tyres! :D

I guess the fact that there's a silver and white tyre (which will be all but impossible to tell apart), means that the hard and medium tyres wont be used together in any of the races, and they'll always be a soft/supersoft tyre. So it looks like we'll get combinations of Yellow/Silver and Red/White, which will be easy to tell apart.

Edited by Retro_Link

Also saw this photo... 2001 best rookie year EVER!?

99997uu.jpg

Wow, never thought of that before but I reckon it must be pretty close to being the best rookie year.

So excited for this weekend, the race begins for me at 11pm so that's not too bad at all. Maybe I'll head to the pub for a few drinks beforehand.

omg THIS FRIDAY :D So excited for practice 1 and 2. I've got a feeing the race will be something very special too, can't wait. Alonso or Schumi if ya ask me ;)

Also, Retro, I got your PM but i'm not going to Spa anymore, just Silverstone this year and Spa next.

omg THIS FRIDAY :D So excited for practice 1 and 2. I've got a feeing the race will be something very special too, can't wait. Alonso or Schumi if ya ask me ;)

Also, Retro, I got your PM but i'm not going to Spa anymore, just Silverstone this year and Spa next.

OK cheers man, I think I may look into going to Monza now anyway.

I hope Rosberg continues to take the fight.

OK cheers man, I think I may look into going to Monza now anyway.

I hope Rosberg continues to take the fight.

Ooo Monza :) A seat on the main straight would be very welcome. Thing is though Retro you'd have to don a Ferrari top and be all 'Forza Fornando!' aha. Sounds like my type of place actually...

You really like Rosberg don't you? He's performed really well over the last 2 seasons yet still barely mentioned. That said, Michael will have him this year.

It's not that I'm a massive Rosberg fan, it's just I don't like the idea of him getting overlooked. Like you say, he's had a great couple of seasons and I'd just like to see him getting in the mix a bit more... then we'll start to see what he's really made of.

haha, well I do have my #1 Ferrari cap, so I can blend in that way!* :D I'd imagine the main straight at Monza will be well expensive... I'll have to look into the options. I've always wanted to go to the Ferrari museum over there, so that's why I'm thinking about it as a bit of a holiday. We'll see.

* literally only the other day did I work out how to wear that cap properly after many tries! Dunno if it's the same with all F1 caps, put you have to pull it on from the front, as opposed to from the back!

Edited by Retro_Link

So glad Bahrain is gone for the moment (maybe forever, who knows the way things are going) and Melbourne has been restored to it's rightful place at the head of the calendar, as nature intended. I hope we don't loose it with the political and financial troubles it's been facing, it rarely fails to throw up interesting races. Incidentally I'm not expecting to get a solid idea of each team's pace until Round 2 Malaysia, where at 5pm local time we will also find out how effectively each car operates as a monohull schooner.

Melbourne is normally sunny (right?!)
Though Jenson did win it in the wet last year, with his 'right call at the right time'.

Just to clear something up on that video, at some stages it showed different compound tyres on the front to the back... this was just for showing them all in the video right?... it's not some new rule (like they do in Moto GP)?

Though Jenson did win it in the wet last year, with his 'right call at the right time'.

Just to clear something up on that video, at some stages it showed different compound tyres on the front to the back... this was just for showing them all in the video right?... it's not some new rule (like they do in Moto GP)?

Yeah just for the video, they still have to use the same compound during each run.

Getting pretty excited about this now, I've found a bar that will be showing the entire race so that should be pretty cool.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!