NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Books about manipulation

Well, as the thread title suggests: I'm looking for books about manipulation. Not something like "Manipulating people 101" (not primarily, you can recommend me books about this topic, too). I want to read about how manipulation works (psychologically), how you can notice when someone tries to manipulate. Maybe something about how gestures and mimics can make you do something (even when it's not intended by the other person).

The thing is: There's so much out there that I don't know where to start or what is good...

I somehow find it really hard to express what I want to say :( Hope you get what I mean.

Edited by drahkon

inception.jpg

There are some good E Books on 'manipulation' yet it is usually termed seduction. Manipulation usually struggles to take place until a form of attraction or a seductive process has taken place.

Could be a good place to start.

It's rather too complex and crude a subject to sometimes be overtly discussed, and there's many different thoughts and opinions on the matter. I don't know many myself, but look into maybe books on deception? Maybe any on power?

Julius fast's body language secrets book is mind blowing.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/126391/Body-Language---JULIUS-FAST

Robert Greene's the art of seduction is also sublime. Teaches you some wonderful ideas throughout history. How cleopatra manipulated/seduced Mark Anthony and then used this to manipulate Julius Caesar.

Anyone interested in the psychology of manipulation should read that book IMO.

Edited by tapedeck

clearly Daft is planting an idea in your head so you'll go and look for it :idea:

I actually thought he was joking.

Robert Greene's the art of seduction is also sublime. Teaches you some wonderful ideas throughout history. How cleopatra manipulated/seduced Mark Anthony and then used this to manipulate Julius Caesar.

Anyone interested in the psychology of manipulation should read that book IMO.

I have heard of that! There is also 48 rules of power, and something like 37 strategies of war, all by the same guy, I think?

I don't know many myself, but look into maybe books on deception? Maybe any on power?

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. As I said: I was missing the right words to express what I wanted to say. But "deception" and "power" fit perfectly.

That's supposed to be a bit dated, isn't it? I read that it's kind of simple when looking at today's standards.

I have heard of that! There is also 48 rules of power, and something like 37 strategies of war, all by the same guy, I think?

Sounds interesting. I'll look into that.

This looks good, anybody know anything about it? It's kind of expensive so I need to be sure whether it's worth it.

Bugger me that is quite expensive! It's a topic I considered for a bit once myself, but I kinda gave up on it so I don't know a lot. I do find it quite fascinating, but you'll find it's a strange sort of secret taboo for a lot of people, so I wish you luck in your endeavours.

Sign in to follow this