NEurope
heroicjanitor

Sony sues hackers

Speaking of homebrew...are there any good examples of homebrew games?

yeah I've been meaning to come into this thread and ask if anyone had actually seen any cool homebrew to stuff to come out of this because all that seems to be getting reported is the hacking stuff and then the trophy app that gives you trophy.

Surely it's a little soon to see any games? Or did you mean any good games to come out of any homebrew scene?

I mainly use Genesis, SNES and PS1 emulators.

But I have youtube viewers back when I didn't have a capable phone, removed the Sony logo from the boot up to save time, switched the main input from 'X' to 'O' (my major gripe with Sony consoles in the western regions).

I'm now currently using an ISO loader so I have all of my Phantasy Star Portable games on one system without carrying around the UMD's and such.

Streets of Rage Remake is also hoping to be ported on the 2000 series and up due to the increased RAM compared with 1000, so well worth having it hacked for me.

Apparently the courts have given Geohot 10 days to hand over all of his computers and storage devices.

He must feel terribly violated and vulnerable right now, the same way Sony must have felt when he blasted those keys.

Poetic?

Apparently the courts have given Geohot 10 days to hand over all of his computers and storage devices.

He must feel terribly violated and vulnerable right now, the same way Sony must have felt when he blasted those keys.

Poetic?

Oh god, the wording of this post is absolutely hilarious. Please tell me you're kidding.

But yeah, apparently it's the standard process of 'freezing' it at the moment the alleged crime took place, he should have seen this coming.

I'm also retracting all of my previous opinions that he shouldn't have released the keys the way he did, as if you look into it (and like some the comments on related stories on Kotaku have pointed out), the way he released the keys was actually the best way from preventing out right piracy. Only other hackers knew what to do with them and how to sign EBOOT bins with them.

So basically, instead of targeting George with this case, they should target those who developed and distributed the tools used to sign illegally procured PS3 game files. He now is pretty much fully innocent in this case, it's now up to the courts to make their decision (and the only things that stand in the way are also the most interesting ones such as the EULA and what actually qualifies for 'trade secrets').

The only thing he did wrong was act like a douche about the whole thing. Even though I'm on his side of this, I did want to punch him when he was acting like a smarmy cunt on G4.

Oh god, the wording of this post is absolutely hilarious.

You're welcome! I put my own self-serving spin on it for your entertainment :bouncy:

Ive read and reread your comments and i still dont buy this whole ironclad NEED for him to publish the codes, as if he was being held by gunpoint and i probably never will

You're welcome! I put my own self-serving spin on it for your entertainment :bouncy:

Ive read and reread your comments and i still dont buy this whole ironclad NEED for him to publish the codes, as if he was being held by gunpoint and i probably never will

It's not overly important, I admit that. But if it opens up a system to offer more enjoyment, then I'm all for it.

It was going to published one way or another, many groups had accomplished it and were readying tools to be released early this year to sign the code to eboots. Removing OtherOS or not, it was inevitable. The PS3 was the holy grail this generation and it put up a damn good fight.

But as the EULA's technically aren't water tight, what he did was technically not illegal (pending court rule of course), but even with the hacks, the actual piracy part is still hard for most people thanks to a very clever decision by Sony to only allow FAT32 formatted external memory to be accessed by the PS3 (still not cracked, probably never will be).

The only real reason I'm for the hacking of the console (not piracy of course, nothing good comes from it), is that if I buy a hardware, I want to be the owner, not the companies so they have the right to remove services as they see fit. I get portable emulators, ISO loaders so I can keep my game collection with me at all times whilst remaining a faithful customer. It's just an unfortunate bi product from hacking that most people don't have the same idea.

Wired - Sony Lawyers Expand Dragnet, Targeting Anybody Posting PlayStation 3 Hack

Sony is threatening to sue anybody posting or “distributing” the first full-fledged jailbreak code for the 4-year-old PlayStation 3 gaming console.

What’s more, the company is demanding that a federal judge order Google to surrender the IP addresses and other identifying information (.pdf) of those who have viewed or commented about the jailbreak video on a private YouTube page. The game maker is also demanding that Twitter provide the identities of a host of hackers who first unveiled a limited version of the hack in December.

WTF Sony! They are going way over the top now.

WTF Sony! They are going way over the top now.

How are they going over the top?

Sony wanting personal information from people who watched a jailbreak video on Youtube because they might have hacked there PS3 doesn't seem over the top to you?

Sony wanting personal information from people who watched a jailbreak video on Youtube because they might have hacked there PS3 doesn't seem over the top to you?

I thought it was just the people who put the videos up showing how to do it? Those who actually distributing how to do it?

I thought it was just the people who put the videos up showing how to do it? Those who actually distributing how to do it?

What’s more, the company is demanding that a federal judge order Google to surrender the IP addresses and other identifying information (.pdf) of those who have viewed or commented about the jailbreak video on a private YouTube page.

How does it taste?

RE above: So essentially even posting on the video Cool story bro makes you a criminal also.

Careful boys, they'll be onto this topic next just for discussing the news!

What if the comment is "Lame story, bro. Hax sux", should they be considered criminals, too?

This is just too much, Sony is sinking their own credibility, which is a shame, because they were taking the correct attitude (IMO) up until now.

What if the comment is "Lame story, bro. Hax sux", should they be considered criminals, too?

This is just too much, Sony is sinking their own credibility, which is a shame, because they were taking the correct attitude (IMO) up until now.

I don't think they are sinking their credibility at all. They are taking every measure that they are likely being advised by their lawyers. I think a lot of these measures are deterants.

Flameboy I think you need to re-think this, its agienst the law for company's to gain personal information like that just because they are viewing a video, I think its also a joke. I don't think that a judge would allow this kind of thing to happen, Fair enough if you've uploaded a video showing how to do it then theres own fault.

If this actully gets passed I will probably stop using the ps3.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/01/playstation-lawsuit-limbo/

Sony rightly shouldn't be given that information but on the flip side, if I were Sony, I'd give it a go, too.

Then again, if I were Sony I'd secretly be flooding the internet with fake PS3 hacks that brick a PS3 if used.

Sony rightly shouldn't be given that information but on the flip side, if I were Sony, I'd give it a go, too.

Then again, if I were Sony I'd secretly be flooding the internet with fake PS3 hacks that brick a PS3 if used.

Luckily you don't run Sony.

Would you be happy if your PS3 got bricked, even though you never used those backup managers or cheated online, etc..

If my PS3 got bricked and found out Sony was responsible, I'd just buy an xbox.

I think that would be a bigger loss to Sony, especially if everyone else does the same.

So if you tried hacking your console to play pirated games and it ended up getting bricked because what you got was a fake code from Sony, you would solely blame Sony?

I buy all my games, thanks.

If somebody hacked there console for the sole-purpose of playing pirated games, then they get what they deserve.