N-Europe

Makin' Music

Goafer

A question for you pianists! When learning a new tune -- in what way would you approach it? I learn the right hand first, then the left hand, then try play together. I'm thinking it shouldn't be like that. I dunno :(

I've just bought 2 piano books and printed out LOADS of sheet music which I want to learn.

Depends on how good you are at sight-reading. It's always been a weakness of mine and is the only thing stopping me becoming a professional at this.

Usually the right-hand first and then the left as Eddie said.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Danny and Eddie! I really appreciate it :grin:.

My music theory is really improving recently so I understand you, Eddie. I'm using John Thompson's books if you've ever heard of them? I think there's four of them, I'm on the 3rd so I got the good solid basics down. In fact, my piano teacher was complaining that I was moving too fast :p I finished the 2nd book in 2 weeks...it's supposed to take a year. Haha!

I have 2 Nina Simone books and loads of printed sheet music of all the Zelda songs that I love. I'm getting through the Zelda ones at a nice pace...you're advice is very helpful for that! Nina Simone is a little more difficult but...I'll get there :)

No problem, glad to help with something I love :) I forgot to mention in my previous post that before learning a new piece, you should note the time and key signatures and tempo, and maybe some trivia, just for your own interest (e.g. living/dead composer, which era the music is from...).

John Thompson is excellent, I have quite a few books from when I used to learn! For sight-reading I was always given Joan Last books. Have to admit that I hated them, but the difficulty curve from book to book is appropriate.

Learning songs you love is the best, you'll fly through them! Have fun! :D

Yeah, I can't sight read. I think it's a perpetual weakness of guitar players. Just finished learning Opeth's Leper Affinity in its entirety, one of my favourite songs. Currently trying to work on my lead playing though, getting more into a bluesy style of playing appropriated from soloists like Brent Hinds and Eddie Hazel, whereas previously I was all about stuff by Alexi Laiho etc; clean picked neoclassical shred.

Also just finished learning the absolutely beautiful Elephant Man solo, by Mastodon, gonna find something else to learn =D.

Yeah, I can't sight read. I think it's a perpetual weakness of guitar players. Just finished learning Opeth's Leper Affinity in its entirety, one of my favourite songs. Currently trying to work on my lead playing though, getting more into a bluesy style of playing appropriated from soloists like Brent Hinds and Eddie Hazel, whereas previously I was all about stuff by Alexi Laiho etc; clean picked neoclassical shred.

Also just finished learning the absolutely beautiful Elephant Man solo, by Mastodon, gonna find something else to learn =D.

You mean sight read music notes? Tabs are so much easier to pick up and play straight away though :D And sometimes not having notation for rhythm is a good thing...I prefer figuring it out from listening to the song. But that's just me. Post some videos!!

--

The first page of Chopin's Nocturne in E minor:

Sloppy at some points, and I missed a note...but I did reasonably ok. I think. Made it for BISH 7 :D

Edited by EddieColeslaw

There you go, some Gary Moore...

Already thanked in BISH thread for impressiveness, but...you do all of the fiddly parts and techniques so well!!

--

Trying to record as much as I can before I move out (and have no access to a piano for the year):

Please have a listen, everyone :)

Edited by EddieColeslaw

I've decided to start recording more stuff. Start off simple methinks.

Doncamatic, by Gorillaz:

It's the same line all the way through, so I didn't run it for long.

Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl:

Few more different things in this one. Not perfect, but meh.

In keeping with that bass theme...

My entry for the BISH. Its the bass line from There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths. Only did the verse and chorus because the rest of the story really just repeats.

Aaand, why not eh, a drum vid:

Too bad it sounds like arse. This is the first time I've ever recorded myself playing, also the first videos I've ever uploaded onto youtube. The bass stuff is ok since you can hear it fine, but the drum stuff, you can't hear shit. :( There's some nice double strokes that get played when the snare hits in (the little fill between the snare and toms) but you can't hear it, it sounds like empty space. Boooo.

Also, with the bass stuff, I use my fingers normally but the camera phone wasn't doing a good job of picking up the sound. So, I either had to turn the amp volume reeeeally high up (which would've pissed off housemates, the street, etc) or use a plec, which I don't really like doing for bass. So, I went with the plec in the end.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not as good at guitar as I am at bass (which itself isn't great) so this isn't that good. Meh, I tried:

Also, not sure the bass tab and the guitar tab I got match!

Also did this. I had to do the "verse" by ear, which is a first for me. Doesn't quite match the chorus, but again, meh.

Edited by Goafer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, time to bombard this place with some BASStastic tunes! Yeah, just bought a bass on Friday, and it's fucking awesome! Exhibit A:

For the interlude, here's my first (!) attempt at creating video game music! We have this small gaming project going on with my bro and a friend of ours, tentatively named Project Contra Rambo Ninja Gaiden! xD Yeah, we'll see how far that really goes, but anyway, it's a run-and-gun type of game, so the first theme I made is the title theme. First, I used the guitar to compose a midi out of it, i.e. this:

It's a retro styled game anyway, so that tune might be used like that. However, for my own and your pleasure, I made a version with live guitar and bass, turned out pretty darn sweet! Here you go:

Thanks man! :) Yeah, we'll see at what pace this will go forward, with two of us studying and one being at work...but anyway, I'll keep you posted at least in regards to the sound track department ;D Might make a separate thread, if we actually get this rolling better at some point...