NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

Boardwalk Empire

Solid finale - good, but not great.

Such a disappointing and bizarre death for poor psycho Gyp. Stabbed by his right hand man (and a minor character) of all people. Very underwhelming. There's low key deaths such as the one in The Wire (you know which one

;)) which was used to good effect, but this was just...meh...

Nice to see most of the seemingly unimportant plot points tied up neatly. Good to see sharpshooter Richard back in a scene reminiscent of a first person shooter (one guy winning vs a dozen) And a masterstroke from Nucky, outsmarting Rothstein. The best scene though was right at the end with Nucky's carnation. Jimmy said it best when he told him he couldn't be half gangster, half politician and it'll be interesting to see where they go with it in series 4

Man, Barney Google. This episode got me to check the comic strip, and here's a fun fact for you: Barney Google is actually in it again for the first time in fifteen years!

BarneyGoogle.gif

Well, I thought it was interesting. The character was pretty much phased out in the fifties, then he's mentioned on Boardwalk Empire and there he is! Riding Spark Plug. Except it looks like he's going the right way.

I kind of liked seeing Kinky Sex Guy get stabbed in the back. Usually it's the minions that end up dead, but if you don't treat them well, this is what happens. I especially like how the other two guys just stood there and watched. Like they were just glad it was finally over.

I was disappointed The Phantom of the Opera didn't ride off into the sunset with his girlfriend and Jimmy's son, but I guess there's still hope. He's pretty much this show's Omar, so he should retire while he's got the chance.

I was actually kind of relieved to read that Jimmy's mom didn't die, but I'm not sure why. She's been pretty annoying and boring this season. I guess there's just something about scheming women!

So, is anybody watching series 4?

The whole Van Alden thing is getting really weird. This guy was a credible threat to Nucky in s1 and 2, but now is reduced to almost a comedy figure. I really don't know where they're going with it at all.

The new character, Dr Narcisse or whatever he's called, is quite intriguing. He used the rape story to squeeze money out of Chalky, even though he knew she was lying all along. Completely on the opposite end of the spectrum to Gyp Rosetti last series, he could be an interesting villain.

And the story with Richard Harrow...again pretty jarring. He's killed loads of men, and now we can only assume that he doesn't want to do it anymore because of his sister. And who was that man on the phone to him at the end? Carl Billings, perhaps? The man who hired him to kill those other guys...but why?

Not sure where this series is going so far, but I suppose we're only 2 episodes in, and I suppose we got a clue with the reveal that Knox is working for the bureau (and, strangely Edgar Hoover??) But will this turn into yet another "get Nucky" plotline?

I loved series 3, I just don't see how series four could beat it if they go for the get nucky storyline again, even from a different angle. The past two episodes have been a bit boring, too busy setting up the story. Hopefully it will improve once in full swing!

I watch it and i was gutted to see that news yesterday, but i do suppose its to be expected, as its based on Historical figures, and the Enoch that this is based on didn't control Atlantic city forever so their had to be an end point so i knew it would happen....but i'd hoped not quite so soon

I'm still pretty new to the Boardwalk Empire, picked up the first series for a tenner in CEX on Blu-ray. It's not too bad really, i have been meaning to watch it for a while. I should be able to catch-up before the final series airs in the Autumn.

I'm happy with it ending after season 5. When I watch a show from the begining when it first airs, then I'm selfishly happy for it to keep going. But if I'm late to a series I find the prospect of 7-10 seasons too dauntling to even attempt to watch. I think five is a happy medium . I was happy with Breaking Bad ending at five seasons too.

Infact I think three seasons is probably plenty for most shows, if they cut out all the filler sub plots.

I enjoyed season 4, it was qute a slow season really and relatively tame following season 3, but still entertaining. Dr. Narcise and Sally were good new characters.

It's good. Goes a bit off the boil after s2 though.

Can't be as bad as other seasons i've seen of other TV shows.

Is anyone watching series 5?

Best episode of s5 so far. Van Alden's death was very bizarre, darkly comedic and somewhat fitting that his actions will somehow lead to the downfall of Al Capone! Another major character death in Chalky this week as well made it feel like a bumper episode, though in contrast to Van Alden's, this felt subdued and sad (in a good way)

The flashbacks to Nucky's early life, leading up to the appearance of Gillian, presumably leading to her introduction to the Commodore are interesting, and the guy they got to play Nucky is spot on...perfectly cast, silly teeth aside. But with only 2 episodes left, there's a lot of ground to cover with the war between Nucky/Narcisse and Luciano, the arrest of Al Capone plus the conclusion of the flashbacks.

Still reckon they should have done one more series, set in 1928, dealing with Rothstein's death, but hey ho.

I'm two episodes behind now and haven't been feeling it, the first few episodes are a bit crap...should i persevere? tempted to hit that spoiler button and see

I'm two episodes behind now and haven't been feeling it, the first few episodes are a bit crap...should i persevere? tempted to hit that spoiler button and see

Noooooo. Seriously don't . Big, big spoilers! Not even joking.

But yes, persevere. You know you are going to. This episode was the best of s5 so far.

Enjoyed the finale. Was rather understated and that moment didn't have the impact the writers probably intended, but I felt the loose ends were tied up pretty nicely.

Nucky's death was kind of a surprise, as the guy he's based on didn't die till much later in real life, but I suppose he was still a fictional character. Though the reveal of Joe actually being Tommy Darmody was pretty predictable, and why would he shoot Nucky at that point, rather than the countless other times he had the opportunity in the past few episodes.

All in all, series 5 was a bit disappointing, but with less episodes, a seven year time jump and the (should have happened sooner) flashbacks, it was left with far much to do that it could handle. But it was a nice job all things considered.

Well, that was an ending, I guess. I actually saw someone on IMDb rather vehemently claim that the show hadn't been canceled, and that the creator wanted to wrap the show up in a measly eight episodes. I don't think that person had actually been watching this season...

I had to google who Tommy Darmody was.

Enjoyed the finale. Was rather understated and that moment didn't have the impact the writers probably intended, but I felt the loose ends were tied up pretty nicely.

Nucky's death was kind of a surprise, as the guy he's based on didn't die till much later in real life, but I suppose he was still a fictional character. Though the reveal of Joe actually being Tommy Darmody was pretty predictable, and why would he shoot Nucky at that point, rather than the countless other times he had the opportunity in the past few episodes.

All in all, series 5 was a bit disappointing, but with less episodes, a seven year time jump and the (should have happened sooner) flashbacks, it was left with far much to do that it could handle. But it was a nice job all things considered.

Perhaps he just hadn't had the opportunity, Nucky was probably always protected. He's just a kid too, he didn't even have his own gun earlier in the series, remember he was nearly given one by Doyle but Nucky stopped him.

I think Gillian wanted to see what Nucky had to say for himself at their meeting, once Nucky tried to pay them off again, so to speak, maybe that was the final straw, that he thought he could always make up for things with money.

I also read a theory that was maybe he wanted to see if he could get into nucky's crew and take over Atlantic City himself, as it was his 'birthright' with his lineage back to the Commodore. But Nucky giving everything to Luciano prevented that, leaving him nothing left to do but kill Nucky.

I have mixed feelings on the ending, it wasn't very satisfying but it was a traditional ending for the genre, the crooks however likable usually get it in the end. I think in the old days in Hollywood it was a legal obligation to show in gangster movies that crime doesn't pay in the end. I've really enjoyed the show but learning that Nucky presented Gillian to the Commodore has pulled the rug out from under my feet a bit, now I feel bad for rooting for him all this time. Given that he had sold his soul it was probably right that he didn't survive.