Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

iOS Gaming Thread

flameboy

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news for fans of Game Dev Story the sequel will make its way to iOS one day just not soon:

Japanese developer Kairosoft was as surprised by the reception of the English iOS port of Game Dev Story as you were by its quality. "It made us happy to know that people had the same feeling about game making," the developer told us in a recent interview we conducted in collaboration with App Bank, "imagining a game that you liked playing, developing it inside [an actual] game and enjoying looking at the sales records." But as veterans of the game are aware, success necessitates a sequel — there's no time to be surprised or enjoy the fruits of triumph. So, yes, we'll see Game Dev Story 2 in the US for iOS at some point, Kairosoft confirmed with us. Just not "soon."

"We will be developing a sequel, but we are not planning on releasing it soon," a spokesperson at the developer said. "We are thinking of improving the game by adding elements of networking in the sequel, such as sales score rankings and sending employees to a friend’s company, etc."

Because of the language barrier, the history of the Game Dev Story franchise has been hard for us to pick up on. Here's what's important: The original game, the one we just played this year on iOS, was released for the PC back in 1996. Game Dev Story 2 was released for the PC in, roughly, 2000, meaning that Game Dev Story 2 iOS will be a port just like the original Game Dev Story was. It's not a "new" game technically.

As for what's holding up a Game Dev Story 2 for iOS? At least one other simulation game, one that tackles a well-known genre: the City. "The next iPhone App will be a CMS game like SimCity, where you touch to scroll, zoom in/ out, etc," Kairosoft said.

And chances are we'll see this game as a localized release, much like the original Game Dev Story. In fact, Kairosoft said it would "like to release English versions" of all its upcoming iOS titles, of which there are many according to the Kairosoft website. Obviously, we're stoked to see whatever they have in store for us, though nothing can come soon enough. Someone get those guys some Red Bull already! We need something to do at the gym.

[Translation work was generously provided to us by Yasuaki over at App Bank. Thanks so much, sir!]

Angry Birds has taken over my life. Don't know why, since I've had it for ages, but recently I got the urge to play Boom Blox, but since I didn't have my Wii with me at uni, I tried to find something similar. Angry Birds is fucking better. Its, quite frankly, amazing. So gratifying for the intuitive sense of physical laws that are hardwired into the brain. Love eet.

Angry Birds has taken over my life. Don't know why, since I've had it for ages, but recently I got the urge to play Boom Blox, but since I didn't have my Wii with me at uni, I tried to find something similar. Angry Birds is fucking better. Its, quite frankly, amazing. So gratifying for the intuitive sense of physical laws that are hardwired into the brain. Love eet.

hahaha I'm very addicted to it at the moment. Had the shorter version on my N900 but now enjoying it on ipod and loving it...bought this and cut the rope not even touched cut the rope yet.

My girlfriend loves cut the rope. I like it too, its really cutesy, to an almost vom inducing level, although the puzzles are never hard. You never have to sit there and deliberate for ages, and it lends itself to trial and error. On the other hand, if you're good, you can solve some of the puzzles on your first go, which is really rewarding.

My girlfriend loves cut the rope. I like it too, its really cutesy, to an almost vom inducing level, although the puzzles are never hard. You never have to sit there and deliberate for ages, and it lends itself to trial and error. On the other hand, if you're good, you can solve some of the puzzles on your first go, which is really rewarding.

yeah its one of the games I will likely save for train ride down to London and flight to Canada I've got coming up soon!

People should download this:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time-geeks-find-all/id391469201?mt=8

Time Geeks Find all! It has fairly simplist gameplay mechanics its just a wheres wally kinda thing but what I love about is the amazing pixel art graphics.

Time%20Geeks%20Find%20All%20(04).jpg

time-geeks-find-all-2.PNG

You may notice some of the references in the pic above, theres tons of movie and tv references (awesome IT crowd one hidden away!)

Played a bit of geared. Only up to level 32 after 1 run through but thought I would give it a rest there as I was getting a bit addicted and it was really late.

Also tried out Super Mega Worm. Awesomely addictive game. Completed it in an hr but updates are promised.

Still not finished Geared, I'm on Puzzle 96 or something, a bit stuck.

Been addicted to Tilt to live recently. Scratches the same sorta itch as Geometry Wars.

oooooh cheers will give it a look. I have geometry wars touch, but not really sure how good a fit it is for the system...there is very little space for everything. I've found myself playing pacifist more as you only have to use one finger/thumb on the screen. Would be better on ipad where your fingers aren't quite as intrusive.

By god Game Dev Story has to be the most addictive resource management game ever.

Tell me about it, first time I played it I was up until about 3 in the morning! Only turned off because the battery was running low!

Fantastic game! I deleted it after year 20 or whenever the final year is. I got to the stage where I had too much money and was getting 40/40 and GOTY every single time.

hahaha. Still not started it yet.

Has anyone picked up Infinity Blade?

Is that out now? The demo of the castle area looked incredible. Can't believe the iPhone is capable of those graphics!

Tell me about it, first time I played it I was up until about 3 in the morning! Only turned off because the battery was running low!

Fantastic game! I deleted it after year 20 or whenever the final year is. I got to the stage where I had too much money and was getting 40/40 and GOTY every single time.

Is that out now? The demo of the castle area looked incredible. Can't believe the iPhone is capable of those graphics!

YES it is came out overnight...£3.49 well worth it been getting great reviews.

Infinity blade is the best game I've played on my iPhone

I love the story 'hook' and it's just damn fun and addictive. Does look sublime too. Iphone4 version looks amazing.

Yeah I've just started it, it is awesome. Yeah I like the hook too, I've thought for ages they should make a rogue like where you actually die rather than just reincarnate and it's ancestors who carry On. Surely it's been done before this game?

Beat Infinity Blade and loved it!

Sure it can seem very repetitive but I think each playthrough is just about long enough to keep it interesting. I think the game play is fantastic and unique and wow looks incredible, graphics that will not be seen any current handheld console (or even future Epic have said unreal will not run on 3DS) Anyone who hasn't bought the game yet should. I fully intend to keep playing and hit Level 50 and master all the weapons/items.

I beat the God King on Bloodline 5. Although I did come very close to beating him on Bloodline 3!

It's like punchout on a bery basic level (without the charm). But it's the levelling up elements that grab you eventually.

For such a simple mechanic it is addictive stuff and the looks are a bonus. Shame the story arc is a bit ham-fisted upon completion.

Edited by tapedeck

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!