N-Europe

The Incredible Hulk

Retro_Link

Time for a new direction!...

Guillermo del Toro Tackles the Hulk

Hellboy director teams with Battlestar producer for new TV series.

It looks like Marvel has scored some very notable talent for its first live-action TV endeavor since the Disney acquisition. Deadline is reporting that Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro is teaming with Battlestar Galactica executive producer David Eick for a new take on The Incredible Hulk.

According to Deadline, the series "is expected to draw on previous comic book incarnations, as well as the original 1978-82 Incredible Hulk TV series, with a few wild tweaks on the old look." While they say that details of the new Hulk are sketchy, they hear it will "follow an origin story" and feature Bruce Banner in his mid-20s in a story where he is "less reactive and more energized as the world is still his oyster."

Unlike the all CGI Hulk seen in the films, the TV series will combine "a mixture of prosthetics, puppetry and CGI."

Eick and del Toro are developing the pilot storyline together, and will share story by and created by credit. Eick will write the script and del Toro may direct the pilot, depending on his schedule.

Don't expect this new Hulk series soon, however. Deadline says the series is not expected to launch until after the Hulk appears in the live-action The Avengers film, opening summer 2012, with the Hulk series presumably aiming to debut fall 2012 on ABC.

Also executive producing are del Toro's manager and producing partner Gary Ungar, as well as Marvel's Jeph Loeb and Joe Quesada.

Deadline reveals del Toro has long been interested in the Hulk, attempting to direct a film version back in 2002. Del Toro tells Deadline that he and Eick "coalesced a respectful but powerful way of retelling the Banner/Hulk story in a fresh way."

I assume the TV series will look/hope to star Mark Ruffalo?... as given the name (the same as the last movie) and it's launch date, are they looking to tie it in with all the movie universe?... only this time through a TV series instead of a film? Edited by Retro_Link

Puppetry? Prosthetics? I think the Avengers Hulk will be all CGI, and this'll be completely seperate.

Sounds mildly interesting.

Oh yeah I expect the Avengers Hulk to be, but I guess a CGI hulk and villians isn't sustainable over an entire TV series, so they'll use the appropraite method given the scene.

They seem keen to launch it directly after the movie, that's all that made me wonder. Has some good names associated, so I hope it turns out well.

Unlike the all CGI Hulk seen in the films, the TV series will combine "a mixture of prosthetics, puppetry and CGI."

Yes!! Hoo-bloomin-ray. Puppets are better than CGI.

I was watching the Alien films a few weeks ago, and realised how much better it is to physically have something there. Who could prefer any of the effects in 3 or 4 compared to Stan Winston's magnificent Alien Queen puppet?

Same goes for Ghostbusters and any TV series like Merlin when they've actually used a puppet. I was as impressed as everyone else with Jurassic Park, but a huge amount of that was the design of the puppets (also by Stan Winston).

Anyway, I'm pleased to see the Hulk get another chance, as I quite disliked both films, but know it could work if they did it well. The 1990s animated series got the tone just right. It had all the comic book characters - The Leader, the Abomination, Doc Sampson, the Hulkbusters, She Hulk and all the other Gamma-spawned oddballs.

The other thing that got it right was the computer game, Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. OK, it overdid the amoral side of the Hulk (he should always be a hero, in my opinion, even though he's unconventional), but the sheer lunacy of fighting all the Hulkbusters, tanks and jets at once captured the spirit of the character. Plus, the scene where he tries to stop the Abomination breaking the dam was better than anything in the later film.

• 10 months later...

Started reading this really excited, ended dissapointed...

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/120/1200570p1.html

NYCC: Is the Ruffalo Hulk Also Going to Be the TV Hulk?

We think so...

Marvel has already impressed fanboys everywhere with their unprecedented strategy of setting all their movies in the same universe, but how cool would it be if their upcoming live-action TV shows also were set in that world?

This weekend at New York Comic-Con a couple of interesting tidbits came up that have got us thinking that this could be where things are going -- particularly in regards to good old Doc Bruce Banner, he who hath been belted by gamma rays. You know, the Incredible Hulk!

Head of Marvel TV Jeph Loeb talked yesterday about the currently in-development Hulk TV show. While it's still early days on the ABC series, Loeb stated that the recent trailer for The Avengers was basically our first glimpse of the TV Hulk. Wha?!

459-hulk_1318788401.jpg

It makes sense, really. In order to pull a show like this off budget-wise, Loeb says that Marvel will be pushing the technology to its limit. That apparently means that all the intensive CGI modeling and design work that is being done for the movie Hulk will be recycled for the TV version. And don't forget, Marvel is pretty notorious for being cost-conscious. So why not recycle Hulks?

Of course, don't expect Mark Ruffalo to give up his thriving movie career to channel Bill Bixby on a weekly basis right now. But that wouldn't matter anyway, as Loeb says the series is a different take on the Hulk, one that will focus more on the relationship between Betty Ross and Bruce at the very beginning of the Hulk's existence (when Hulk is still unknown to the world at large). So you cast a younger, Ruffalo-esque actor then.

Now, this shared TV/movie universe idea seems to go against previous statements made by the Marvel brass. So we asked Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige about the matter last night. And he, essentially, said it could happen.

This is all very tentative, but it does compute when one considers how Marvel has worked in the past. Their other live-action shows that are in the works are a.k.a. jessica jones (featuring Jones, Carol Danvers and Luke Cage), Cloak and Dagger (for ABC Family, set in post-Katrina New Orleans and featuring "science, the supernatural and the environment") and Mockingbird (also ABC Family, with a S.H.I.E.L.D. tie-in). They could all be smaller stories that take place in the bigger Marvel movie universe without really interfering with that world, right? And you don't think Marvel's just dying to recycle its helicarrier sets for that last one?

Ruffalo needs to star in this for me, could be awesome! Surely he could do this alongside his 'movie career [??? really]'

Bana/Norton/Ruffalo/...

The Hulk inconsistency is rediculous!

It already sucks that Ruffalo doesn't have his own Hulk movie, and that they tied the Ed Norton film into The Avengers if they weren't happy with him in the role.

But you can't now use a CGI Hulk that's modelled entirly around Ruffalo and use a different actor dammit!

Edited by Retro_Link